...enclosed promenades?

My question is, are there any ships (including cruise ships) that have an enclosed promenade deck with windows that can be opened to let a breeze through?

Many have open promenade decks where the lifeboats are, complete with deck chairs - but I have yet to see an enclosed promenade deck sheltering passengers from the 'elements' while still enjoying a breeze on a nice day.

Or if there aren't any - which ships were among the last to have an enclosed promenade deck?

was on the old Rotterdam V. The France had one. They were really a function of Transatalntic liners......on pleasant days the windows could be open & otherwise kept closed.

I love an open Promenade Deck - which really do not exist on modern ships. The enclosed promenades were wonderful for recovery from the prior nites festivities, taking naps & socializing in general.....

Oceanic, which only recently went to the breakers in China, was probably the last major ship with this sort of arrangement. They fell into disfavor because they were shipboard real estate which did not provide revenue and they weren't very much needed in tropical climates where many cruise ships sail.

we loved the Oceanic & Home Lines - did they ever have deck chairs on the Promenade Deck - I do recall hanging out those windows waving goodbye in the winter time at Bon Voyage parties....(filled w/ champagne after the parties by the pools under the magrodome).

Such a beautiful ship & what fun & the best of food & service!!!!

Oceanic, which only recently went to the breakers in China, was probably the last major ship with this sort of arrangement. They fell into disfavor because they were shipboard real estate which did not provide revenue and they weren't very much needed in tropical climates where many cruise ships sail.
Edited by Rotterdam

I couldn't resist posting two pictures from brochures from the 1930's which capture the importance of the enclosed promenade on the liners of old. The promenade was the Fifth Avenue of these vessels where the well-heeled (apparently the canine and human types), impeccably dressed and fashionable were on display. These pictures are works of art onto themselves. The exaggerated proportions emphasize the significance of the space they depict.

The best surviving example is on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I'm always struck by what a large space her promenade is, both in length and breadth, and it existed on both port and starboard sides of the ship.

The color picture is of Conte Di Savoia and the B&W depicts the promenade, here called "Grand Verandah", on Rex, the two major Italian ocean liners of the 1930's.

ContePromenade_zps06773b67.jpg

RexPromenade_zps75ca9726.jpg

They were such beautiful ships......

I couldn't resist posting two pictures from brochures from the 1930's which capture the importance of the enclosed promenade on the liners of old. The promenade was the Fifth Avenue of these vessels where the well-heeled (apparently the canine and human types), impeccably dressed and fashionable were on display. These pictures are works of art onto themselves. The exaggerated proportions emphasize the significance of the space they depict.

The best surviving example is on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I'm always struck by what a large space her promenade is, both in length and breadth, and it existed on both port and starboard sides of the ship.

The color picture is of Conte Di Savoia and the B&W depicts the promenade, here called "Grand Verandah", on Rex, the two major Italian ocean liners of the 1930's.

ContePromenade_zps06773b67.jpg

RexPromenade_zps75ca9726.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...