Viking Dock/ Amsterdam

bobchico

PS this site also gives information re dockingplaces. Since it is winter at the moment there are hardly any or none rivercruises in Amsterdam.

Be aware europeans write day first then month.

so e.g. 03-04 and 03/04 will mean 3rd of april.

I 'm also staying at the Renaissance and am planning on having the conceirage get us a taxi. Not all ships dock near the Centraal station. We should get the docking location with our documents a few weeks before the cruise with Scenic. Some ships, Viking included, have had to dock further out in an industrial area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We took Viking "Tulips and Windmills" cruise from Amsterdam last March/early April. The cruise began at the docks very near the central train station (walkable if you are comfortable pulling your suitcase and it's not raining). Just be careful crossing the bike lanes. People will mow you down! The ships were tied up three deep at the dock near Centraal that day. At the end of the cruise, we tied up outside of town and had to take a shuttle bus into town. During tulip season, things get busy, and even the ship captains do not know where they will be assigned until about 24 hr before.

Cross your fingers for the central location while you are in town for a couple of days. It is VERY easy to get a tram pass to ride almost anywhere.

Just received travel documents for our upcoming Avalon "Tulips of Northern Holland"-- cruise embarkation is in Haarlem (not Amsterdam), with the meeting point for the included transfer at the Radisson Blu near Schiphol Airport( not the Radisson in central Amsterdam)---not so convenient for those staying in Amsterdam for a pre-cruise visit. You can make your own transfer arrangements (at your own expense), but exact docking location will not be available through Avalon Operations in Europe until a couple of days prior to departure.

Pedidoc,

Although we did not go to Haarlem, some from our cruise did, and they LOVED it. You may find it a delightful place for simply walking around and enjoying the people. I know it is a bedroom community easily accessible by rail. It is on out list of places we want to visit the next time we're in Amsterdam. Am sure you will enjoy you cruise, in any case.

Haarlem certainly isnot a bedroom community but the 6th largest city of The Netherlands. The centre is old and very charming.

In the big church on Grote Markt there is world famous organ where it seems even Mozart played on it.

Frans Hals Museum is also famous.

Many tourists love to visit the Corry ten Boom huis. A place less known then Anne Frankhuis, but many jews were saved during WWII by this family http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/what-to-do/museums-and-galleries/museums/corrie-ten-boomhuis

There is a special direct bus connection from Schiphol airport to Haarlem: http://visithaarlem.org/gettingaround

Haarlem certainly isnot a bedroom community but the 6th largest city of The Netherlands. The centre is old and very charming.

In the big church on Grote Markt there is world famous organ where it seems even Mozart played on it.

Frans Hals Museum is also famous.

Many tourists love to visit the Corry ten Boom huis. A place less known then Anne Frankhuis, but many jews were saved during WWII by this family http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/what-to-do/museums-and-galleries/museums/corrie-ten-boomhuis

There is a special direct bus connection from Schiphol airport to Haarlem: http://visithaarlem.org/gettingaround

Apologies for calling it a bedroom community. I was told by a guide that many commute from there into Amsterdam. I stand corrected.

:)

Apologies for calling it a bedroom community. I was told by a guide that many commute from there into Amsterdam. I stand corrected.

No problem of course, but Haarlem is absolutely worth a visit.:)