Costa Cruises impressions?

Chicken_Lips

I saw that there was an existing thread for MSC. I'm interested in trying something different. What did you think about cruising with Costa? How was your experience? Likes/Dislikes?

Thanks!

Take a look at the reviews, most of what is written is true.

We did a t/a from Savona to Miami three years ago on Luminosa.

Shore excursions canceled due to not enough English speaking participants.

Food and service was some of the best that we have ever experienced and the ships are beautiful.

We made some great life long friends from The Netherlands who met us in Amsterdam after our RSVP river cruise last summer.

You may love it.

Joe:D

I saw that there was an existing thread for MSC. I'm interested in trying something different. What did you think about cruising with Costa? How was your experience? Likes/Dislikes?

Thanks!

Hi Chicken Lips,

I already wrote why I don‘t do MSC any more, but my experience with Costa is different.

Of course you can find a lot of little problems as long as you search long enough. But to it did not happen any serious problem with Costa and when one waiter treated me rude (of course much minor compared to danger aboard or giving guests dirty plates as on MSC) and I complained they made work of it. As I also said in the MSC thread that where people work there happen mistakes, the big difference is that Costa did not try to convince me that was no problem at all, but tried to solve. This I value positively.

What you perhaps should know: Costa has good offers for solo travellers, but if you can try to compare the prices in different countries as differences for the same cabin are huge. Meals are quite Italian, for me it‘s great news, so if it is for you as well, you‘ll love it. Often I read the “problem” of “no water” in the MDR. This is an American thing, here in Europe you pay for water, so you do on Costa ships. I can’t see any problem as long as you know in advance. I even heard of a different policy for bookings in the USA. Anyway have a look to the drink packages, seen the prices for just an ordinary coffee they are unbeatable cheap - by the way, forget the coffee stations, they make much better ones for you fresh at the bars. The ships are colourful beauties. Be prepared for a little shock when getting aboard first, the theme of the ships is done completely all over. For example my first Costa was the Fortuna, the theme on the Fortuna is transocean. You’ll find portraits of sailors in one of the staircase and ship models on the ceiling of the atrium. Next will be the Favolosa, the fairy tale castle on sea.

I don’t do a lot of ship excursions, as everywhere they are quite expensive, so I do them only when there is nothing interesting to do on my own and I can’t join a tour offered by a third party. Up to now nothing has been cancelled, but seen the very international crowd, which is different in every part of the world, English speaking guests could be a small minority. But for example in the Caribbean Costa even remarks for other languages, that excursions might be held in English instead - advantage for you. If you are good enough in foreign languages just ask the evening before an excursion whether they have enough patricians and if not to book you in the group of another language you understand. As they love to sell it shouldn’t be a problem. Apart from Italian English is the most common language, the staff speaks English with only a very little exception - some of the Italian officers are without knowledge of foreign languages. And yes, they love selling. Be prepared to a lot of offers, for me the worst of Costa is that they tend overdoing their promotions.

Overall I spent great times with Costa and next month I’ll cruise a week through the Caribbean and thereafter transatlantic to France. In October I’ll go from Italy to India. I hope I showed that I can be positive as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at the reviews, most of what is written is true.

We did a t/a from Savona to Miami three years ago on Luminosa.

Shore excursions canceled due to not enough English speaking participants.

Food and service was some of the best that we have ever experienced and the ships are beautiful.

We made some great life long friends from The Netherlands who met us in Amsterdam after our RSVP river cruise last summer.

You may love it.

Joe:D

thats good to hear joe sailing costa Favalosa 4-1-17 from guadelope to savona im open to new experience with a european ship and passengers .Do you speak other languages ? bklynbobby

• 1 month later...

We will be on Costa Deliziosa January 2018 and are very excited! Do you have any favorite things that are uniquely Costa? What should we know as first time Costa Cruisers? (booked Premium Balcony for the set dinner times and room service) Thank YOU in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...

After our last cruise in November 2016, my husband and I will never cruise on Costa again.

We weren't looking for things to complain about, but those "things" nevertheless found us.

For specifics, look at our review which covers the highlights.

Happy Cruising,

tnt10