First time and solo cruising on the Norwegian Epic!

sofienummer

Hi fellow solo travellers! :)

This will be my first cruise and also the first time that I will travel solo! I always wanted to try travelling solo to see how I'll feel about it. Maybe I'll love it so much that I never wanted to travel with my friends or family again, ha!

I do however have a question considering travelling solo. This question has probably been asked a lot before (I could't find it, but I'm still figuring out this whole site so that might be the reason lol).

Anyway, my question specifically for solo cruisers/travelers is: do you tell people that you travel solo? Like I won't be advertising that I'm travelling solo, lol, but what if people ask? Do you tell them the truth, lie or just don't reply?

If you did tell people that you travel solo, have you ever had an awkward or even unpleasant experience because of it?

Have any of you ever lied about this? I could imagine, especially on a cruise ship, you could just tell them you went to a bar on your own, or something similair. "I'm with my friends, I fancied a couple of drinks before going to sleep." or "I'm with my family, my parents are resting."

I'm just curious what you guys think is the best way to handle this! And if you guys have any advice on this subject!

Enjoy your Easter weekend and take care,

Sophie

I'm truthful with people that I am cruising solo. Granted I know I won't meet most of these people again but I prefer to keep to the truth. Most are curious as to why but I find people are friendly and just looking for a chat. I think that there are enough solo cruisers that most employees of the cruise lines think nothing of it and I find they are always happy to make your cruise the best ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My own experience is that people are actually quite impressed by it and think I must be much braver than I am. The crew tend pay you an extra bit of attention, which is quite nice (in a friendly way, not trying to act as a surrogate travelling companion).

The Epic was my first solo cruise with NCL and I had an amazing time. In fact I'm sailing on her again in October because it was so good. I hope you have a similarly enjoyable time.

I never even thought about not telling people I was travelling solo. (sorry for the double negative but I think it makes sense)

I have two solo cruise thus far, the last one on the Norwegian Escape in Feb 2016. Loved it as I was in a studio and met other solos. We had a great time, so much so that some of the group sailed together again this Feb, and four of us are booked for next Feb, this time on the Epic.

Hope you enjoy your first solo cruise! I hope you'll come back and give us a review.

I agree with all above. I never lie about it. Actually its a nice conversation starter.

As a female, I have never felt "at risk" either. In my opinion its a great way to travel solo.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for your replies and personal experiences!

Very happy to know you all had great solo experiences :) and in some cases it was, apparently, even better to tell them you traveled alone!

I will definitely return with a review/my personal experience after my cruise :) Reading your replies makes me even more excited for the cruise :cool:

Happy Easter and thanks again. If others have less fortunate experiences, I would appreciate to hear those as well!

Hi,

It is also my first solo cruise to norway this weekend.

Glad to know other people are also travelling alone, Hopefully I won't feel like the odd one out.

My only concern is when it's time to visit restaurants, I'm not a fan of eating alone and most tables are designed for two minimum. haha :')

Thank you all so much for your replies and personal experiences!

Very happy to know you all had great solo experiences :) and in some cases it was, apparently, even better to tell them you traveled alone!

I will definitely return with a review/my personal experience after my cruise :) Reading your replies makes me even more excited for the cruise :cool:

Happy Easter and thanks again. If others have less fortunate experiences, I would appreciate to hear those as well!

"My only concern is when it's time to visit restaurants, I'm not a fan of eating alone and most tables are designed for two minimum. haha :')"

Go to the solo gathering, the solo host will help coordinate dinner so that other solos are seated together. Especially the first night, after that you will most likely have formed other dinner friends.

Thank you, I will have to look into this solo gathering do all cruise lines do this, I am sailing with p&o?

"My only concern is when it's time to visit restaurants, I'm not a fan of eating alone and most tables are designed for two minimum. haha :')"

Go to the solo gathering, the solo host will help coordinate dinner so that other solos are seated together. Especially the first night, after that you will most likely have formed other dinner friends.

Thank you, I will have to look into this solo gathering do all cruise lines do this, I am sailing with p&o?

That I am not sure of. I cruise with NCL because of the solo offerings. I am sure others may be able to help.

Check your dailies too, they may list a gathering.

I think P&O had an afternoon tea for solos rather than particular gatherings. But given that they have the traditional group dining option there is perhaps less demand for something separate for solos, since dining alone seems to be the thing most people are concerned about.

Hi,

It is also my first solo cruise to norway this weekend.

Glad to know other people are also travelling alone, Hopefully I won't feel like the odd one out.

My only concern is when it's time to visit restaurants, I'm not a fan of eating alone and most tables are designed for two minimum. haha :')

Have a lot of fun this weekend!! It would be nice to hear your experience after your cruise :)

And yes a lot of solo travelers have 'problems' with the eating alone aspect. However, I think, a lot of people on cruises are very social and wouldn't mind dining with other people as well! So I wouldn't be surprised if you would be approached by several people, asking you to join.... It might be so extreme that you would prefer eating alone :')

Anyway, enjoy your cruise and beautiful Norway :hearteyes: