Maui: Coastal West Maui and the Wailea-Makena Area: Things To Do/Lunch Ideas

ajtraveler66

We will be on the NCL/POA and are considering renting a car for Day 1. What are some suggestions for West Maui and the stretch of road toward the Wailea-Makena area?

We are not into snorkeling, but a little beach time would be fine. Any great resorts to see? Any scenery we shouldn't miss? Any cultural stuff that might be of interest?

We will ONLY be interested in traveling the better roads. That being said, all ideas are appreciated. We can glean from your input to come up with what we think will work best for us.

FYI: We plan to do the other part of the island on Day 2. So for this post we are ONLY interested in the areas mentioned in the title.

Thanks.

Not sure what time of year you are traveling. If during whale season that is a great strip to stop and view them.

If summer like we visit there are some amazing hotels to stop and have a lunch (like the Four Seasons).

The best thing for this area are the beautiful beaches

There is a wetland preserve near the Ma'alea harbour area

I think the Grand Wailea is a beautiful property, it is next door to the Four Seasons. There is a nice paved walkway along the coast there so you could also have a nice walk. All beaches are public, so if you take your towels you can enjoy some beach time also. The GW and The Four Seasons share the same cove for their beach. One of my favorite places for lunch is the Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea. Just up the street from the GW. Nice patio with views and great food and drinks. Cherie

You already got some great information in this thread for South Maui (your second day in the Lahaina area is West Maui ;)). The developed Wailea beaches from Polo to Ulua/Makapu are great beaches. Between Wailea & Makena are several great undeveloped beaches. If you drive south of Makena, you'll discover lava flows from Haleakala's last eruption in the late 1700s.

Secret Cove (Pa'ako) beach is located south of Makena Beach (AKA Big Beach).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g609129-d9834388-r379380325-Pa_ako_Beach_Secret_Cove-Wailea_Maui_Hawaii.html

http://www.paradise-found-in-maui.com/secret-cove.html

On the Wailea Blue golf course is an Irish restaurant & pub...Mulligans...which is on a hill overlooking the ocean. For Maui it's reasonably priced & we always enjoy going there. It's a short distance from Polo Beach on the south end of the Wailea resort area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You already got some great information in this thread for South Maui (your second day in the Lahaina area is West Maui ;)). The developed Wailea beaches from Polo to Ulua/Makapu are great beaches. Between Wailea & Makena are several great undeveloped beaches. If you drive south of Makena, you'll discover lava flows from Haleakala's last eruption in the late 1700s.

Secret Cove (Pa'ako) beach is located south of Makena Beach (AKA Big Beach).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g609129-d9834388-r379380325-Pa_ako_Beach_Secret_Cove-Wailea_Maui_Hawaii.html

http://www.paradise-found-in-maui.com/secret-cove.html

On the Wailea Blue golf course is an Irish restaurant & pub...Mulligans...which is on a hill overlooking the ocean. For Maui it's reasonably priced & we always enjoy going there. It's a short distance from Polo Beach on the south end of the Wailea resort area.

Secret Cove is incredible but I do not think it is marked, when we went I was with someone who knows where it is. Possibly knowing the mile maker would help. And, anyone going needs to know there are no restroom facilities.

Secret Cove is incredible but I do not think it is marked, when we went I was with someone who knows where it is. Possibly knowing the mile maker would help. And, anyone going needs to know there are no restroom facilities.

The 2nd link shows a photo of the wall & descibes it's location as:

"This place is really easy to get here. From Wailea, head south on Wailea Alanui Drive. Follow it as it changes names to Makena Alanui Drive, and then Makena Road. A short distance past the turn-offs for Big Beach, you'll see a pretty stone wall with a door-way sized opening and a blue beach access sign on the south end".

My guidebook says there are no mileage markers but that it's located 4.5 miles from Wailea Iki street at the Shops of Wailea or about 0.5 miles from Big Beach. It also says it's located by the first telephone pole (#E2-3) past Big Beach.

Thank you Astro Flyer, I have wanted to recommend this to friends but could not give good directions. There are often turtles here also. Thank you again for providing directions. Cherie

Thank you Astro Flyer, I have wanted to recommend this to friends but could not give good directions. There are often turtles here also. Thank you again for providing directions. Cherie

You're welcome Cherie & glad that it was helpful.

Most of our beach time is during our daily oceanfront walks roundtrip from Wailea's Ulua Beach. Watching the beautiful shoreline makes the time pass very quickly. ;)

An easier spot for us to snorkel with turtles is at Maluaka Beach. Paved parking, outdoor showers and regular bathrooms are convenient. It's one of the areas that tour boats promote as "Turtletown" which can easily be accessed from the beach.

Edited by Astro Flyer