Enough time to go to haleakala crater and then old lahaina luau? carnival

jayally1968

I am renting a car from Dollar Rent-A-Car and on the Carnival miracle docking in Kahului at 10am. I have reservations for the old Lahaina luau and I was thinking we could go up to the crater during the day and then over to the luau. I know it's about an hour drive from the port and the ship leaves at 11 PM. I think the luau ends at 8:45 so I figure we would probably head up there about 9 PM, stop for gas and then drop the rental car off, they close at 10:30 PM. Do you think this is something that we could do? Or is it a bit too ambitious? I am paranoid about being late for things and I certainly don't want to miss our ship!

I am renting a car from Dollar Rent-A-Car and on the Carnival miracle docking in Kahului at 10am. I have reservations for the old Lahaina luau and I was thinking we could go up to the crater during the day and then over to the luau. I know it's about an hour drive from the port and the ship leaves at 11 PM. I think the luau ends at 8:45 so I figure we would probably head up there about 9 PM, stop for gas and then drop the rental car off, they close at 10:30 PM. Do you think this is something that we could do? Or is it a bit too ambitious? I am paranoid about being late for things and I certainly don't want to miss our ship!

Forgive us, but we aren't quite sure where "up there" is that you want to head to at 9 p.m.

It sounds like you want to do Haleakala during the day, the Old Lahaina Luau that night and be back to the ship by the "all aboard." Those who have driven from the OLL back to Kahului will hopefully answer your question as to the timing. You will, of course, have time for Haleakala during the day. I hope the time line for getting back to the ship after the luau will work for you. Cherie

p.s. When you pick up the car check for gas stations that are close and check to see that they will be open late. Also, you could pre-pay the gas so that you can avoid that stop on your way back to return the car.

• 4 weeks later...