Aft room for Panama Canal

KeiEdy

Depends on the ship! Not all "afts" are created equally. That said, during the transit, you will want to roam the ship. The views are quite different from different levels and sides! You do NOT want to plant yourself on your balcony for the entire transit, or you will mist 3/4's of the sights!

I would have to agree with the previous answer. Most of the activity is alongside the ship as you go through the various locks. Although we had a regular veranda cabin, we were up high forward as we approached the canal itself and the first set of locks, and then I wandered around amidships watching the electric locomotives working together to keep the ship in the exact right spot. On the one side of the ship, we could see another ship going through the adjacent lock.

As for an aft cabin or not, think of the rest of the cruise as to what you want. Most of the day in the canal will be spent topside somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
What cruise ship would you pick if you wanted to see Costa Rica on a Panama Canal

Do you want the Pacific side of Costa Rica, or the Caribbean side? You can often get Limon on a partial transit. EM

As far as the aft cabin goes... Think about the view on a cross country trip sitting in the rear facing seat of an old station wagon... A month or so ago, someone posted a video of a full transit taken by a camera on time lapse mounted on the aft balcony. I have done two dull transits, and one partial. I watched it, and all I could think was if he had stayed on the balcony with the camera he would have missed 80% of the show. EM

We had a corner aft cabin on Rotterdam for Canal transit. We went forward early in morning and watched our approach to first lock. Then walked promenade deck to get all the vantage points. In afternoon we, along with our friends, went to our cabin balcony and drank nice cold beers and champagne and had room service bring up appetizers. Watched locks close behind us from our aft balcony. It was great!!

• 5 months later...
We had a corner aft cabin on Rotterdam for Canal transit. We went forward early in morning and watched our approach to first lock. Then walked promenade deck to get all the vantage points. In afternoon we, along with our friends, went to our cabin balcony and drank nice cold beers and champagne and had room service bring up appetizers. Watched locks close behind us from our aft balcony. It was great!!

I agree absolutely. We've done the partial several times in the corner suites on the Zuiderdam. Forward first for the view, and pastries, then along the Promenade, and up to the Suite. Absolutely amazing!:D