NCL Excurcion... Maui: "Best of Maui" vs "Lahaina On Your Own"

ajtraveler66

On our second day in Maui we want to do a ship tour (please don't talk us out of it). We are torn between the "Best of Maui" and "Lahaina On Your Own". The former costs more, but we realize that admission fees are involved...so to us, price is not a factor. Both look lay-back and interesting (We will be doing beaches the day before by a rental car).

If you have done EITHER of these tours, your thoughts--both positive and negative--are much appreciated. FYI: We will be taking this tour on a Monday as opposed to a weekend day. That may or may not make a difference.

On our second day in Maui we want to do a ship tour (please don't talk us out of it). We are torn between the "Best of Maui" and "Lahaina On Your Own". The former costs more, but we realize that admission fees are involved...so to us, price is not a factor. Both look lay-back and interesting

According to the NCL Excursions website. the Best of Maui takes you to the A & B Sugar Museum, Maui Tropical Plantation and the Ocean Center. Lahaina On Your Own is a bus ride from the ship to Lahaina and (later) a bus ride back to the ship (read: you are on your own in Lahaina). Unless you are into the history of sugar cane here, the Museum may not hold your attention. The Plantation is strictly for tourists. The Ocean Center is interesting. We aren't trying to talk you out of anything by saying this. We just want to make sure you know what you are or aren't getting for the money.

I am doing the Lahaina On Your Own tour on our second day in Maui as well. I chose it because I really wanted to go to Lahaina, and I like to have the security of being with a ship tour. My plan for Lahaina is just to walk around and do some shopping (and EAT!). I'm not a big beach person but I am definitely a shopping person, so it's perfect for me.

I am doing the Lahaina On Your Own tour on our second day in Maui as well. I chose it because I really wanted to go to Lahaina, and I like to have the security of being with a ship tour. My plan for Lahaina is just to walk around and do some shopping (and EAT!). I'm not a big beach person but I am definitely a shopping person, so it's perfect for me.

We agree that this tour is right for you and believe you will certainly enjoy it. Sit on the driver's side of the bus on the way over and on the passenger side on the way back for the best ocean view.

We agree that this tour is right for you and believe you will certainly enjoy it. Sit on the driver's side of the bus on the way over and on the passenger side on the way back for the best ocean view.

We should mention that saying where to sit applies to American buses where the driver is on the left side when facing forward in the bus.

The sugar museum was surprisingly interesting! The plantation was for tourists but was beautiful especially if you like gardens. Check out the blue flowers by the bathroom!! Lahaina is small and touristy and well, small and touristy! The nice thing about the museum and plantation and ocean centre is you get a mini tour of the island! There is an interesting Baldwin museum and lovely gift shop in Lahaina and the banyan tree is worth seeing!! There is a great coffee shop and ice cream shop in Lahaina!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums