GoPro Hero+ Red filter

JenMJM

I'm about at my wits' end. We bought the Go Pro Hero+ because it can go down to 131', which is more than enough for our diving. It worked great last week in Cozumel, but the colors were washed out. I thought, ok, no problem, I'll just buy a filter. Ha! I even called GoPro to ask about a filter that would fit and got a no.

Has anyone had any luck finding or rigging up a red filter to this model??

Go Pro Hero+..... are you talking about the first version of the GoPro? That is a model that is very old, so finding parts for it will be difficult.

I dive/snorkel with a Hero2, which is also older, but I got all my parts back when it was newer. I got a special underwater housing with a flat port (from Backscatter.com), for diving, and a red filter by Polar(I think I got it from Backscatter also) that fits it. I have been using it for 4+ years, no problems. I still have to do some white balancing in editing, but it helps tremendously to have the red filter.

Go Pro Hero+..... are you talking about the first version of the GoPro? That is a model that is very old, so finding parts for it will be difficult.

I dive/snorkel with a Hero2, which is also older, but I got all my parts back when it was newer. I got a special underwater housing with a flat port (from Backscatter.com), for diving, and a red filter by Polar(I think I got it from Backscatter also) that fits it. I have been using it for 4+ years, no problems. I still have to do some white balancing in editing, but it helps tremendously to have the red filter.

I largely agree, but I have only taken one dive with the red filter and it was in Nassua 2 weeks after Hurricane Matthew. this shot was taken about 40ft down with the red filter.

gopro2.JPG

Once above water in sunlight you can see I was using a red filter.

redboat.jpg

Another photo with the red filter

turtle4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You did not say what model, 1,2,3,or 4 you have. In any case you do need the flat lens dive case and not the curved lens case that came with some of the earlier models. Either way check out backscatter.com as they can hook you up as well as discuss options. I have a kit with a place for 2 different filters as well as 3 different red filters depending on depth and type of water. I did find when I upgraded from the Hero 3+ to the Hero 4 that the need for the red filter dropped.