Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After returning to Indiana from winter in Florida my DH went back to work and then had a bowel obstruction. He was in the hospital for 5 weeks. He's slowly recovering and hopefully I don won't be tied to this house. I hook him up every night with nutrition, and unhook 12 hrs later! Have 5 nights left and then he should be back 100% on real food. Unfortunately I've gained weight. I'm a stress eater! And his hospital had great food! As I shop with October's cruise in mind, nothing fits. I refuse to go up any more sizes so something has to give. I hate exercise and walking, do like to ride my bike but he usually gets it"summer ready". Do I wait.

Does anyone have a diet that works for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sunnydaygirl. Hope your DH is well on the road to recovery, that's a scary thing to go through. On your weight gain, the bike is a great idea. I have an indoor piece that turns my road bike into an Exercycle--it was great in our unpredictable weather. Walking & more water also helps. Good luck to both of you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sunnydaygirl,

Very sorry to hear about your DH. I hope that all goes well. I am happy that you have a cruise to look forward to.

As for a diet, I don't have a good one. But I know eating from stress can put weight on. I have found with me after the stress is gone, my weight goes down a little because of the absent of the stress.

For me, trying not to eat in between meals is hard for me to do. If I get involve in my sewing , shopping, housework, reading etc., I tend not to eat.

Wishing you both the best.

Sunnydaygirl,

I hope your hubby continues to recover and improve. I completely relate about exercising and gyms... Maybe find a friend/buddy to go for a walk with. Someone that you can enjoy a daily visit with and just happen to get some exercise.

We've also found small changes really can help. Since you know you're a stress eater have healthier options around and go with the 80/20 rule. Don't beat yourself up for 20% comfort choices. It won't be fast loss, but it seems to be working for DH and me. Slow and sustainable. October is a long way off.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. My DH is much better and getting his strength back.

I've started cutting back on calories and have given up soda. A mainstay of My day since my teens.

my life continues to be hectic but managing to plan and look forward to our next girls cruise in October.

Hope you're all doing well!

Just a quick update. My DH is much better and getting his strength back.

I've started cutting back on calories and have given up soda. A mainstay of My day since my teens.

my life continues to be hectic but managing to plan and look forward to our next girls cruise in October.

Hope you're all doing well!

Happy to hear that your DH is feeling better. Giving up soda can reduce the amount of calories a lot. Now you can look forward to your Oct. cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
My DH lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks by giving up soda. I lost 2 lbs. I hate the way guys can lose weight [emoji30]

I hear ya! Me too!

I've started drinking tea again. But never did start exercising. I have my final surgery sch for Aug. 29 and hopefully once I recover I'll be more comfortable and confident to start biking and walking more. I'm having a fairly new procedure where they take tendon from my stomach and make me a bladder sling from that. I'm one of the unlucky ones that had a sling piece erode my bladder. Lucky my surgeon found and fixed. Can't wait for this next and hopefully final step. Then I can buy some new cruise clothes!

I did order a new white hoodie from Kohls. On sale for $12.99. Lost mine on the Escape. Sad thing is,i never wore it, just didn't repack it.

I hope you all have amazing cruises planned with great outfits packed!

I hear ya! Me too!

I've started drinking tea again. But never did start exercising. I have my final surgery sch for Aug. 29 and hopefully once I recover I'll be more comfortable and confident to start biking and walking more. I'm having a fairly new procedure where they take tendon from my stomach and make me a bladder sling from that. I'm one of the unlucky ones that had a sling piece erode my bladder. Lucky my surgeon found and fixed. Can't wait for this next and hopefully final step. Then I can buy some new cruise clothes!

I did order a new white hoodie from Kohls. On sale for $12.99. Lost mine on the Escape. Sad thing is,i never wore it, just didn't repack it.

I hope you all have amazing cruises planned with great outfits packed!

Wishing you well and a fast recovery. I hope all goes well for you.

Sunny day girl good luck on your surgery. Doesn't sound like fun

It won't be:( but can't wait for the results tho! Asked him if he'd do a tummy tuck while he's at it.

Got a laugh out of that, and a firm no!

Found something I've been looking for in a place I didn't expect it. Our little town has little in the way of shopping. But yesterday I went into our Hallmarks going out of business sale:( and walked by Shoe Show.

Now, I'm one of those people who take their cell phone everywhere. I have the iPhone 7 plus and it takes spectacular pictures. I've been looking for a wristlet with a shoulder strap too. All I've found, my phone in its case won't fit, or the was just a wristlet. It couldnt be too dressy, yet go with black. I saw purse hanging in the window and thought I'd check it out. Success!! Room on the outside with a strap for security. Room inside, zippered coin. Credit card slots and cash. Room from sunglasses too. If i choose, my kindle paperwhite will fit too. A Union Bay, on sale for $9.99. Happy.

I wear black allot.132f308ef59449d6909b22ea1c089d56.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While I also enjoy choosing outfits and packing for a cruise, I'm running into new territory with my upcoming cruise. While the ship and company aren't new to me(Celebrity Summit), the itinerary, length of cruise and many of the locations are. It's a 14 day Canada/New England itinerary and it's during late September/early October(exactly 68 days, yahoo!). I'm a lifelong East Coast dweller(NJ), so I already know what a crapshoot this time of year can be in Boston(quite similar to where I live and just as unpredictable in the grey area of early fall, it can still feel like summer!), it's Maine and Nova Scotia that are my unknowns because I'm so used to packing for cruising in the tropics and it will be my first time visiting the upper Northeast coast. I have a feeling the days will still be warm most of the time, but the nights will be cooler.

So far, I will definitely be packing at least one jacket(either a fleece moto style from Samantha Brown's collection or a fleece moto style from Isaac Mizrahi's QVC line)and one or two cardigans along with both long and short sleeved t-shirts, ankle length pants, one pair of dark wash jeans, skirts, and dresses with 3/4 sleeves. Any tips from y'all who have done this itinerary during this time of year in the past would be gratefully appreciated. I'm just happy I'm driving to the port and don't need to stress over being over weight in my packing!:D:')

While I also enjoy choosing outfits and packing for a cruise, I'm running into new territory with my upcoming cruise. While the ship and company aren't new to me(Celebrity Summit), the itinerary, length of cruise and many of the locations are. It's a 14 day Canada/New England itinerary and it's during late September/early October(exactly 68 days, yahoo!). I'm a lifelong East Coast dweller(NJ), so I already know what a crapshoot this time of year can be in Boston(quite similar to where I live and just as unpredictable in the grey area of early fall, it can still feel like summer!), it's Maine and Nova Scotia that are my unknowns because I'm so used to packing for cruising in the tropics and it will be my first time visiting the upper Northeast coast. I have a feeling the days will still be warm most of the time, but the nights will be cooler.

So far, I will definitely be packing at least one jacket(either a fleece moto style from Samantha Brown's collection or a fleece moto style from Isaac Mizrahi's QVC line)and one or two cardigans along with both long and short sleeved t-shirts, ankle length pants, one pair of dark wash jeans, skirts, and dresses with 3/4 sleeves. Any tips from y'all who have done this itinerary during this time of year in the past would be gratefully appreciated. I'm just happy I'm driving to the port and don't need to stress over being over weight in my packing!:D:')

That sounds amazing! I would definitely recommend light layers. A waterproof jacket?

I have a lightweight fleece from Northface and love it. Leggings would be on my list too. And stretchy jeans! I love mine!

That sounds amazing! I would definitely recommend light layers. A waterproof jacket?

I have a lightweight fleece from Northface and love it. Leggings would be on my list too. And stretchy jeans! I love mine!

Oh the jeans will definitely have stretch, one of the best things ever was when they added spandex to denim(I was an 80s teen, I remember! :D:')). Huge fan of Diane Gilman's DG2 denim on HSN and Old Navy's Rockstar denim, and I bought a pair of DG2 faux suede leggings that I am definitely packing(very nice for dinner with a tunic top and wedge heels), I am super picky about leggings; thank you for reminding me about including them, I love those leggings!

Waterproof hooded jacket with your fleece layer will take care of you. I always pack Goretex or SmartWool socks (my feet freeze) & a pair of CuddleDuds (they double as pjs if you don't need them for a layer). Cardigans? Maybe one. If I need more, I'll just buy a sweatshirt in one of the ports

I have done the Canadian/New England cruise 5 times. The coldest one we did was on 8/5. It was so cold and wet. The ones we did in Oct. we had nice weather most days. I have used gloves and, hat and a scarf at times too.

I was waffling about it, but now I will definitely pack my super cute black rain ankle boots! Socks are a given, I even pack a pair or two when going to the Caribbean(my feet get cold easily on board, and I used them as slippers walking around the room), and I am looking at a packable waterproof jacket right now. Thanks to you all for your very helpful tips!

I told my daughter I'm ready to get rid of almost a full closet of clothes. They're too small:( but I've been hanging on to them with hope. She said I never pay full price for any of them! I can buy new if I'm successful in losing weight after my surgery.

So sale is my middle name!