Getting the most bang for your buck...

SoBaycruiser

For those experienced US Azamara cruisers, if you were going to book a cruise, how would go about getting the most bang for your buck? Do you shop for best OBC? When do you apply for a possible upgrade and to whom? What would you have liked to know before you booked the first time?

I've been reading the topics here and it's a little overwhelming. Anything you can say to simplify booking a cruise would be much appreciated. I did cruise Azamara once before, but at their very beginning [Jan2008], and they have evolved since then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We book as early as possible to get our cabin of choice and to better your chances for a cabin upgrade, you register on the Azamara website for that once booked. In the past Azamara has adjusted our fare if any discounts come up before your finally payment. Great cruise line, service and food is wonderful.

We are only approaching our fourth Azamara cuise, so others will probably have more valuable information. I agree that booking early for your desired cabin is primary. I have, however, been persuaded to book later by a two for one special or other similar upgrade and have taken a cabin that I didn't think I'd be thrilled with, but found completely satisfactory. I'm not too interested in OBC...the wines and included drinks pretty much suit us and we're okay with a visit or two to the specialty restos that we pay for, if we're not in a suite. We don't splash out for wine except at home, so there's not much to spend our OBC on. We're usually on Azamara for the destinations. I'd say if you're already considering Azamara, you'll love it no matter what. It's unique and obviously loved by those of us who've had the experience. Summary: you can watch for specials and maybe get a great deal if you're not too fussy about your cabin. I'm in the US and I ALWAYS have to pay the cancellation and re-booking if I'm lucky enough to notice that there's a better deal. It usually works out in my favor. But they're not going to notify you...you must be vigilant. I have never been able to get on their email list, after years and years of trying. Good luck and great travels!

Unless you're a single or book lots of ships excursions, the best Azamara sales are the BOGOHO+ (pay full price for the first guest, get half off the second in a cabin plus something else that might be OBC or internet), and the Double Upgrade (but I don't think this works for suites).

We book as early as possible to get our cabin of choice and to better your chances for a cabin upgrade, you register on the Azamara website for that once booked. In the past Azamara has adjusted our fare if any discounts come up before your finally payment. Great cruise line, service and food is wonderful.

Having your fare adjusted when new discounts or promotions are offered works in the UK, but definitely does not happen in the UK.

In the US, the deposit is small ($50) I think, so cancelling and rebooking can be a good option when there's a good promotion on. In the UK the deposit is £250 per person, so a new promotion would have to save much more than £500 to be worth cancelling and rebooking.

Unless you're a single or book lots of ships excursions, the best Azamara sales are the BOGOHO+ (pay full price for the first guest, get half off the second in a cabin plus something else that might be OBC or internet), and the Double Upgrade (but I don't think this works for suites).

Solo travelers get the BOGOHO price (150%) as opposed to 200% on the same cruise. On a few cruises the solo rate is 125%

I know we aren't allowed to ask for TA suggestions, but how do you find one who really knows Azamara? I've been using a great one that knows everything about Princess for Princess cruises, but basically they know nothing about Azamara.

I think you need to interview other TA's and find one who does a lot of business with Azamara.

Look for TA's that book on cruise lines like Oceania, Azamara, Viking Cruiselines. Something beyond the usual entry cruiselines.

CruiseCritic has suggestions....click on their advertisements for cruises and sign up to get e mails from various large online agencies. Also, you can readily ask other passengers you meet on the ships for recommendations.

I think you need to interview other TA's and find one who does a lot of business with Azamara.

Look for TA's that book on cruise lines like Oceania, Azamara, Viking Cruiselines. Something beyond the usual entry cruiselines.

CruiseCritic has suggestions....click on their advertisements for cruises and sign up to get e mails from various large online agencies. Also, you can readily ask other passengers you meet on the ships for recommendations.

You can also book through Azamara (especially when they are running specials) directly then you are permitted by Azamara to transfer your booking to a TA who might give you some additional benefits. We've done this several times and have been happy with the results.

Find yourself a good, qualified TA and let him/her do all the work for you.

I have had three different TAs since my first Azamara cruise. None of them like working with Azamara. They all claim that Azamara is the most difficult of all to deal with.

I have just booked my first Celebrity cruise. Dealing with them (customer service, on line check in) was so much easier than Azamara that you are amazed they are in the same family of companies. That being said, when you get on the ship and experience the amazing onboard level of service that the Azamara crew and staff provide, all is forgiven.