Snorkeling Decisions

HangryGrl

We are looking to snorkel in Bonaire and our cruise is not until January 2018 but we are already having issues finding an excursion. Woodwind is completely booked for the day we are in Bonaire, SeaCow only offers trips through the cruise line ($44/person direct through them but $75 through Royal) :rolleyes: and Good Returns Water Taxi's site says they are "closed until further notice". I have emails into Compass and Windows to the Sea for their availabliity. I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? We are fine doing DIY things (like taking the water taxi). We are both expereinced snorkelers, good swimmers and have our own equipment. I would also welcome any details/opinions on Compass or Windows to the Sea. I have not been able to find any specifics how long you are able to actually snorkel on either excursion. TIA!! :)

I would take a taxi to any beach and walk into the water. The reefs in Bonaire start very close to shore. You can snorkel anywhere on the east side of island. South of town is sandy beach entries. North of town would be by ladders, no beaches.

If you want to have restaurant and such close by...then go to one of the resorts and snorkel in front. Buddy Dive is fantastic shore snorkeling, but you have to get in and out of water by a ladder, no beach.

a great website to see is: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/BonaireN/

I would recommend H2O Visions or Sea Cow - you can check them both out on TripAdvisor. You can get in along the shore anywhere, but, you'd be better served getting advice on where to go exactly. If you've snorkeled a lot, I'd recommend an excursion. I don't know much about Compass or Windows to the Sea.