Bermuda Byway/ Heidi

crisp1

To her credit, Heidi makes the most out of a place that is not a real standout when compared to the likes of Hawaii, Fiji or most of Polynesia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course individual tastes vary, but when comparing I would not agree that Bermuda pales when compared with Hawaii.

Of course individual tastes vary, but when comparing I would not agree that Bermuda pales when compared with Hawaii.

I agree that individual tastes do vary. But, when it comes to "unique" geographic beauty (the type that makes a place immediately recognizable), The island of Kauai is unrivaled worldwide.

IMG_1495549327.750356.jpg.62b896e78c41c68e3c3ea7e63184a935.jpg

IMG_1495549675.216126.jpg.012189f85861b2adc5beb7f6e579e255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yesterday we had a private 6-person tour with Heidi Cowen (Byway Tours), and it was excellent. What was scheduled as a 6-hour tour turned into 7 1/2 hours as we requested some additional stops and Heidi adjusted the itinerary for Bermuda Day traffic and closings. Heidi gives you an inside look at Bermuda, being a sixth generation Bermudian and the granddaughter of the last Gibb's Hill lighthouse keeper.

I highly recommend Heidi for a great introduction to Bermuda, although she also customizes tours for special interests... such as local forts, etc. She also takes her tour on roads less traveled by others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The day we spent with Heidi was probably the "best" day of touring, with any guide, in 40 some years of travelling. She totally customizes the tours. If you don't eat fish, she'll get you something else. "Oh - this place looks nice!" and that's where you'll stop. During our tour, she invited a friend to join us for a picnic in Somers Garden (friend works at a popular historic site) and he met us, bringing various local food & treats to try. He mentioned spotting sea turtles near the fort so off we went to find the turtles. Later we ran into her friend and his elderly mum while getting ice cream. Yes, we saw all the various sights, but we also stopped on the side of a small, rural road to feed bread to wild chickens. We met some lovely locals. We got locked inside the Botanical Gardens (but that's another story!!). We laughed so much. We took great photos all over the island. We shopped for souvenirs at the lighthouse (best prices). It was a perfect day. You're going to have a great time.

The day we spent with Heidi was probably the "best" day of touring, with any guide, in 40 some years of travelling. She totally customizes the tours. If you don't eat fish, she'll get you something else. "Oh - this place looks nice!" and that's where you'll stop. During our tour, she invited a friend to join us for a picnic in Somers Garden (friend works at a popular historic site) and he met us, bringing various local food & treats to try. He mentioned spotting sea turtles near the fort so off we went to find the turtles. Later we ran into her friend and his elderly mum while getting ice cream. Yes, we saw all the various sights, but we also stopped on the side of a small, rural road to feed bread to wild chickens. We met some lovely locals. We got locked inside the Botanical Gardens (but that's another story!!). We laughed so much. We took great photos all over the island. We shopped for souvenirs at the lighthouse (best prices). It was a perfect day. You're going to have a great time.

So many people book the least expensive tours today, I have learned to look past that ($ 20, 30, 40 pp savings) One has to look past the savings and read between the lines about the experience- We have found that on other cruises with other local excursions- all my research said the same about Heidi- so glad you had a great day- Soooo looking forward to our day next week- will report back here on our return

We just booked Heidi (without my mom, unfortunately). She wasn't able to make a private tour for us since she had others already on her schedule for both days. We are super excited! Sounds like we will get a great overview of the island. Love that she seems to customize the tours and make them a little different each time!