Sail Windjammer - Mandalay

cpayne

Anyone ever sailed with this group before? Looks like they have taken over the "old" Wind Jammer. Have not tried this type of cruising before and curious to perhaps give it a try. Didn't see them listed on the forum, though. Looks like they sail round trip from Grenada.

Thoughts/experience/comments????

• 3 weeks later...

My sister and I did the 6 night cruise out of Grenada last year, and loved it. We'll be going again as soon as we are able to.

Most stops are at islands that you'll never see from conventional cruise ships, so no crowds.

There are free snorkeling excursions daily, so bring your gear if you're interested. Also very inexpensive island tours at some of the stops.

Very little choice at meals, but the food was always good and cooked fresh in the galley just a few steps from your table.

Just 3 decks, so no elevators.

Most cabins are upper/lower, and the upper wasn't the easiest I've ever had to get up into. Very comfortable, though (and I'm over 6 ft.). Lots of hot water in the roomy (but old-fashioned) shower. A/C (cabin only) can be rather noisy, because it's from a unit that's right in the cabin with you. No closet, just a couple of shelves and a few hooks, so be organized (and don't bring a lot). No cabin keys, so be ready to leave your cabin unlocked when you're out of it.

There can be quite a bit of motion when anchored, but much less when under way (when there were always at least a couple of sails up).

The crew were very friendly, from the captain down.

You can even tour the engine room.

Pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/snaebyllej2/collections/72157667263789842/

• 3 weeks later...
I'm scheduled to cruise with them July 2. If you're interested in Sail Windjammer, I would suggest skyauction.com as they are running large discounts on these cruises.

So how was your cruise with Windjammer? I am considering a booking with them in 2018. Thanks for you skyauction suggestion. Did you use them for this booking.

Thanks, Theresa

Had a wonderful time! I agree with everything written by Snaeby above. I booked this as a discount vacation and it was way better than I expected. I did use Sky Auction for this trip. I understand that Groupon is also carrying deals for Sail Windjammer that allow free upgrades.

So how was your cruise with Windjammer? I am considering a booking with them in 2018. Thanks for you skyauction suggestion. Did you use them for this booking.

Thanks, Theresa

Thanks for your response, glad it was a nice voyage. So with skyauction, no room updgrades allowed? The bunks look tiny in the standard, if I book, I was considering going for one of the larger rooms, using current Groupon promotion. Do you have any recommendations regarding room location, excursions, etc., to share from your trip? I'm considering the Grenada R/T cruise. Sorry to be a pest, but there's not a lot of info out there other than on their website where all the reviews are perfect! Thanks again.

I booked with sky auction after winning an auction for $599. I was given the opportunity to upgrade at a cost. I think it was $100-$500 per per person depending on the level of upgrade. I did not buy the upgrade. I believe I may have been upgraded anyway, as the ship was about half full and my bottom bunk was close to the size of a double bed. Two of us slept on the bottom, though it was tight.

I heard from some that they paid $800 on Groupon and could pick any cabin. This is a better deal if you are interested in the king suite and it is available. I believe the Windjammer site has cabin layouts. I think that cabin #25 is the king suite.

The only paid excursions available were island tours and 1 snorkel tour. I did all three island tours, as I can only do so much time on the beach and snorkeling.

Bequay - very pretty island. Tour was a bit crowded riding in open air trucks with benches around the sides. A few picture stops and visit to turtle farm. Would recommend. $35/per person.

Canouan - least popular, but best tour in my opinion. Beautiful island, A/C in van. Lots of picture stops - $30/pp

Carricou - packed like sardines into a van with underpowered A/C. Some scenic vistas, but kind of a crappy place otherwise. $35/pp. would not recommend. You do have the option to rent a beach chair & umbrella for $10 at a nice resort on Carricou. Would recommend this.

The people who went on the snorkel safari enjoyed it, but at $35/pp it lasted only about an hour, and you will have at least 5 other chances to snorkel.

Best snorkeling I did was on Tobago Cays and Sandy Island.

Another activity is the bar crawl on Mayreau, which is free except for your drinks. Note that the town sits at the top of a hill, so a bit of uphill walking is involved.

Fun activities on board include the masquerade ball (they have costumes on board), crab races, and the wine and cheese party, in which passengers make up funny stories about wine they purchase at a grocery in Bequay ($10-$20/bottle), and the wines are sampled by everyone.

quote=tess9;53487585]Thanks for your response, glad it was a nice voyage. So with skyauction, no room updgrades allowed? The bunks look tiny in the standard, if I book, I was considering going for one of the larger rooms, using current Groupon promotion. Do you have any recommendations regarding room location, excursions, etc., to share from your trip? I'm considering the Grenada R/T cruise. Sorry to be a pest, but there's not a lot of info out there other than on their website where all the reviews are perfect! Thanks again.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/4/2018 at 1:24 PM, SYDEE said:

Can someone tell me about the bar on board the windjammer mandalay? We do not like rum and one glass of wine isn't enough. Do they overcharge for wine?

Wine is 5 punches on the doubloon, or $5 per glass.  The Chardonnay is very acceptable, the red wine not so much.  They pour one glass each at dinner -it is not unlimited. We just got off the ship yesterday.   Buying a glass at the bar gives you a larger pour than at dinner.  I did many weeks (12 or more) when it was WJ Barefoot; it is not what it used to be.  Our passenger count was only 23, in high season.  Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 3:03 PM, onthecusp said:

Wine is 5 punches on the doubloon, or $5 per glass.  The Chardonnay is very acceptable, the red wine not so much.  They pour one glass each at dinner -it is not unlimited. We just got off the ship yesterday.   Buying a glass at the bar gives you a larger pour than at dinner.  I did many weeks (12 or more) when it was WJ Barefoot; it is not what it used to be.  Our passenger count was only 23, in high season.  Hope this helps.

Ok I just stumbled across this post. We are going in July. We drink a fair amount on vacation. One class of wine is definitely not enough.Do we have the option to bring on bottles of wine like we do on other cruise lines.

On 6/20/2017 at 6:12 PM, snaebyllej said:

My sister and I did the 6 night cruise out of Grenada last year, and loved it. We'll be going again as soon as we are able to.

Most stops are at islands that you'll never see from conventional cruise ships, so no crowds.

There are free snorkeling excursions daily, so bring your gear if you're interested. Also very inexpensive island tours at some of the stops.

Very little choice at meals, but the food was always good and cooked fresh in the galley just a few steps from your table.

Just 3 decks, so no elevators.

Most cabins are upper/lower, and the upper wasn't the easiest I've ever had to get up into. Very comfortable, though (and I'm over 6 ft.). Lots of hot water in the roomy (but old-fashioned) shower. A/C (cabin only) can be rather noisy, because it's from a unit that's right in the cabin with you. No closet, just a couple of shelves and a few hooks, so be organized (and don't bring a lot). No cabin keys, so be ready to leave your cabin unlocked when you're out of it.

There can be quite a bit of motion when anchored, but much less when under way (when there were always at least a couple of sails up).

The crew were very friendly, from the captain down.

You can even tour the engine room.

Pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/snaebyllej2/collections/72157667263789842/

Thanks so much for the beautiful photos. I have my own snorkel gear, should I bring it to save money? and have better quality?

36 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Thanks so much for the beautiful photos. I have my own snorkel gear, should I bring it to save money? and have better quality?

If you have your own equipment and the extra space in your luggage I would recommend it.  Lately we’ve been bringing our own masks/snorkels and leaving the fins at home.  Fins are what takes up the space.   We haven’t been using fins and have found it’s not a hinderance, but we are also active/fit people.   

43 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Ok I just stumbled across this post. We are going in July. We drink a fair amount on vacation. One class of wine is definitely not enough.Do we have the option to bring on bottles of wine like we do on other cruise lines.

Hello, we went on the Mandalay in December. When we stopped on certain islands that sold wine, we bought a bottle and put it in our beach bag and took it back to our room. There are no "searches" when you come back aboard. One glass would never cut it for us. We did purchase our liquor and beer from the bar. 

13 minutes ago, cpayne said:

If you have your own equipment and the extra space in your luggage I would recommend it.  Lately we’ve been bringing our own masks/snorkels and leaving the fins at home.  Fins are what takes up the space.   We haven’t been using fins and have found it’s not a hinderance, but we are also active/fit people.   

Yes we are also.I was not planning on fins. However is there diving available? 

16 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Yes we are also.I was not planning on fins. However is there diving available? 

Unfortunately I don’t know that answer.  We haven’t taken this trip yet. 

11 minutes ago, SYDEE said:

Hello, we went on the Mandalay in December. When we stopped on certain islands that sold wine, we bought a bottle and put it in our beach bag and took it back to our room. There are no "searches" when you come back aboard. One glass would never cut it for us. We did purchase our liquor and beer from the bar. 

I guess I was wondering if I was allowed to open my own wine and walk about the ship with it.

and as far as excursions, do they take you to shore and you do as you please or are you  limited to their excursions?

I am an avid cruiser but on big ships. We booked a charter on this with our business partners in an Admiral Suite a2. I am just having trouble finding information.

The Mandalay is NOTHING like a big ship. It’s very old and not updated very much. It’s not first class. You get your bed made and maybe the sand off the floor. The “crew” doesn’t cater to your every need, like big ships. You will kind of feel like part of the crew. Some of the islands they visit have no shops or restaurants & the islands that do, have very few choices. I carried my wine around in one of their cups, as to not draw attention to it...no one really cared...they are too busy working the boat. It is a very laid back trip.

3 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

No you are not supposed to bring any alcohol on but it is easy to smuggle it on.  We bought wine in various ports and put it in plastic flasks or water bottles just to avoid the weight and disposal of the glass bottles.  If you have never been on the Mandalay you will probably love it!   My husband enjoyed it much more than I did because he had never been.  Years ago they were stellar, not so much anymore.  Mashup the bartender is great as always!  

10 hours ago, onthecusp said:

No you are not supposed to bring any alcohol on but it is easy to smuggle it on.  We bought wine in various ports and put it in plastic flasks or water bottles just to avoid the weight and disposal of the glass bottles.  If you have never been on the Mandalay you will probably love it!   My husband enjoyed it much more than I did because he had never been.  Years ago they were stellar, not so much anymore.  Mashup the bartender is great as always!  

Ok. Easy enough. I love to sail and get that its a different type of trip. I have always wanted to do one since their glory days but never did.I hope I love it like your husband did.

11 hours ago, SYDEE said:

The Mandalay is NOTHING like a big ship. It’s very old and not updated very much. It’s not first class. You get your bed made and maybe the sand off the floor. The “crew” doesn’t cater to your every need, like big ships. You will kind of feel like part of the crew. Some of the islands they visit have no shops or restaurants & the islands that do, have very few choices. I carried my wine around in one of their cups, as to not draw attention to it...no one really cared...they are too busy working the boat. It is a very laid back trip.

We sail so I get it. so many people love it so while it is different, surely it has many good points.

9 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Ok. Easy enough. I love to sail and get that its a different type of trip. I have always wanted to do one since their glory days but never did.I hope I love it like your husband did.

You probably will then - cheers!