hong kong

nisky2

I can't answer about Tokyo as I haven't been there but with regard to Hong Kong it depends where you dock. There are two main cruise terminals, one at Kai Tak and the other is the Ocean Terminal in central Kowloon.

Larger ships tend to dock at Kai Tak which is a bit out of the way as far as the attractions of central Kowloon and I don't know of any hotels there however there may be some. Most people would prefer to stay in central Kowloon as this is where the 'action' is.

If your ship docks at the Ocean Terminal there is a hotel right there at the terminal called the Marco Polo. There are tons of hotels nearby - all the major chains are represented. Most are an easy walk to the terminal but if you have a lot of luggage you can get a cab. They are cheap and plentiful but only take $HK - no credit cards.

If the Marco Polo is in your price range and your ship is docking at the Ocean Terminal then you won't get anything closer than that.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your stay in Hong Kong.

We stayed at the Salisbury (YMCA) Hotel in Hong Kong after seeing recommendations for it here on Cruise Critic. Talk about location, location, location! Kowloon, right next to the Peninsula Hotel, two blocks to the Star Ferry, and a MTR (train) station entrance right outside the side door to the hotel. The hotel itself is clean, comfortable, has a restaurant that serves nice breakfasts, plenty of interesting restaurants nearby, and it's reasonably priced. Try to get a harbourview room if you can. We'd stay there again. Our ship docked at Kai Tak and we took a taxi to the hotel.

The cruise terminal for Tokyo is in Yokohama; and it is less than a half-hour train ride from Yokohama into downtown Tokyo. Since my wife is severely allergic to tobacco smoke we stayed at the InterContinental Yokohama Grand because 542 out of 594 rooms are non-smoking rooms. (Note: reviews on TripAdvisor indicate that many other hotels in Tokyo and Yokohama that say they offer non-smoking rooms do not adequately enforce their non-smoking regulations.)

This hotel is conveniently located in the harbor area about halfway between the Yokohama train station and cruise terminal - a short taxi ride or two stops on the subway to either.