Cayman Turtle Centre, sea turtles are abused for entertainment and farmed for meat?

Tiggipaws

I didn't bother to read the article, as those are usually inflammatory click-bait written by activists with a grudge, but IMO it's no different than visiting a petting zoo or interactive farm anywhere else in the world. You can pet a goat, sheep or cow there, and those animals are also eaten for food elsewhere.

I personally don't have a problem, but if you do then don't go. It's fairly simple.

Why are they blaming Carnival for the alleged actions of someone else? Carnival does not own the venue. Tourists would go there if Carnival did not offer it as an excursion.

Otherwise, IMO, Stingray City is a far more fascinating and wonderful experience that will allow you to interact directly (and safely) with creatures in the wild.

I didn't read the article, but in 1992 we went to the turtle place and at the end of the tour we were offered the chance to try turtle soup. Naturally, we declined. Ever since then, I refuse to go back. Not sure if they are still doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The article has some issues with accuracy yet there are a few nuggets of truth.

The Cayman Turtle Centre does raise green sea turtles and butchers a large majority of them to satisfy demand for local consumption, including tourists who choose to sample turtle meat. A few are released back into the wild as a part of a head starting replenishment program.

The Cayman Turtle Centre does have a touch tank area where tourists can pick up and touch a juvenile turtle. The overwhelming majority of turtles at the CTC are not subject to touching or handling by the public at any given time. I do not know how often they rotate the turtles in the touch tank with those in the other tanks.

The Cayman Turtle Centre has many tanks which are not a part of the centre open to tourists. There have been instances of concern. In one 2012 incident about 300 turtles died when a water intake pipe broke and back up systems failed. The WSPA seems to have targeted the CTC since that incident.

The Cayman Turtle Centre does employ veterinary staff to treat turtles that may be sick or injured. And the CTC does actual research leading to publication of scientific studies about the green sea turtle.

And finally, yes Carnival Cruise Lines does offer shore excursions to the Cayman Turtle Centre. I think it is safe to presume that they are making some money off the sale of those excursions. And thus the WSPA has chosen to target Carnival.

I didn't read the article. However, I was not a fan of the turtle farm. It made me sad. I know many creatures are used for meat and I do eat meat. But, I just felt this was a really commercial, moneymaking thing. I would never go back.

I never saw any animal abused or mistreated while there or at the dolphin place across the street. When we were there they had multiple people around the touch tanks and they didn't hesitate to tell a person to stop or not do something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums