Special Needs at Sea vs Scoot Around - wheelchair rental for Alaskan cruise

Beach4me

Hey gang,

I'm thinking we are going to have to rent a wheelchair for Mom as a fallback plan for getting around ports. We will be doing an Alaskan cruise round trip out of Seattle on HAL.

HAL has recommended either Special Needs at Sea or Scoot Around.

Please tell me your experiences with these companies - especially if you've rented on an Alaskan cruise. Would you rent from them again? Details, please. Thanks!

My parents used Special Needs at Sea for a Panama Canal cruise. I believe the chair was brought to their cabin, they used it a little bit, and then they left it in their cabin upon disembarking. Very convenient. They didn't use it all the time but was there when they needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've used Special Needs at Sea for a couple of scooter rentals in Alaska. The first was a 7-day round trip out of Vancouver, and the next was a 14-day round trip out of Seattle. Both were on HAL.

When you board you can go directly to your cabin, and the wheelchair should be there ready and waiting; my scooter has always been. Makes life a lot easier to be able to be brought directly to your mobility device, and not have any gaps of time without it.

When it's time to disembark there will be a special assembly area for those who need wheelchair assistance, but your rental has to be left in the cabin. Can make getting to the assembly area tricky. Someone can wheel your mother to the assembly area, then bring the wheelchair back to her cabin, since that is where it needs to be left.

Much of the public areas of the ship is carpeted, so it can be difficult to push a wheelchair all day.

Remember, too, that the tides in Alaska can rise/fall drastically. I have left the ship when there's a gentle slope on the gangway, only to return to a steep, steep rise. Do ask about alternative gangways if that happens.

I've used Special Needs at Sea for a couple of scooter rentals in Alaska. The first was a 7-day round trip out of Vancouver, and the next was a 14-day round trip out of Seattle. Both were on HAL.

When you board you can go directly to your cabin, and the wheelchair should be there ready and waiting; my scooter has always been. Makes life a lot easier to be able to be brought directly to your mobility device, and not have any gaps of time without it.

When it's time to disembark there will be a special assembly area for those who need wheelchair assistance, but your rental has to be left in the cabin. Can make getting to the assembly area tricky. Someone can wheel your mother to the assembly area, then bring the wheelchair back to her cabin, since that is where it needs to be left.

Much of the public areas of the ship is carpeted, so it can be difficult to push a wheelchair all day.

Remember, too, that the tides in Alaska can rise/fall drastically. I have left the ship when there's a gentle slope on the gangway, only to return to a steep, steep rise. Do ask about alternative gangways if that happens.

Thank you, Ruth, for this excellent information.

My mom has a 3-wheeled walker that she uses but she sometimes tires quickly. I'm thinking that around the ship, she will use her walker as she can sit whenever she wants. But, I'm also thinking that for going ashore, it might be a good option for her to use the wheelchair as a walker - then, when she gets tired, she can sit and Dad and I can take turns pushing.

I have thought about the gangway - and quite honestly, that is one of the reasons that I think she needs a walker. I'm afraid that she won't be able to easily/comfortably get up or down (given tides, inclines, etc) and want to be able to assist her specifically in those cases.

Again, you provided lots of good info. And specific experience to Seattle/Alaska, too. Thank you! :)

We have used Scoot Around with equally good experience. Have one booked for June, delivered to hotel a day early for no extra cost. We are one block from ship so plan to drive it to the ship. In case of rain.....an adventure.

We have used Scoot Around with equally good experience. Have one booked for June, delivered to hotel a day early for no extra cost. We are one block from ship so plan to drive it to the ship. In case of rain.....an adventure.

Thank you for posting your thoughts on Scoot Around. I can't find a whole lot about them online. I called both places to ask a few questions and was much more impressed with the gal I spoke with at Scoot Around than the guy I spoke with at Special Needs at Sea.

Scoot around was $10 less for the weeks - so pretty much a negligible difference there. The cancellation fee was $20 less with Scoot Around.

I would think they would both have the same type of equipment and that both of them keep the wheelchairs in good, clean, working order.

Glad to hear about Scoot Around. Thanks!

I have thought about the gangway - and quite honestly, that is one of the reasons that I think she needs a walker. I'm afraid that she won't be able to easily/comfortably get up or down (given tides, inclines, etc) and want to be able to assist her specifically in those cases.

I can walk some, using my cane which is always with me, so there are times I walk down/up the gangway and the stewards bring my scooter.

There was a time the gangway was too steep, and the person in charge insisted they get a wheelchair for me (took two people to push me up), and then they went back for the scooter.

If some walking is an option, then consider Mom is not on her own. I felt well taken care of.

Thank you, Ruth. I appreciate your sharing your insight. btw - I had meant to say that that was why I thought we needed a wheelchair - for the gangways. Somehow, I managed to type walker instead. LOL

I think the best bet is to have her walker and rent a wheelchair just in case. I'd rather reserve one and have it in case we need it than not have one and find we need it.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Scoot Around but will call both of them back before making a final decision.

I'm also thinking that we should get Mom a regular walker with a seat. She loves her 3-wheel walker but it doesn't have a seat.

I'm also thinking that we should get Mom a regular walker with a seat. She loves her 3-wheel walker but it doesn't have a seat.

Since my knee replacement I am thinking (hoping, praying) that I have improved enough to switch from a scooter to a rollator (walker with a seat).

The scooter is great around the ship, and ashore when I want to wander around the port. However, since the rental scooters don't fold up, and are very heavy, I can't take it on shore excursions; that limits me.

I know I can take the rollator on excursions, and will still have a place to sit and rest (should I need to) while wandering, and can sit when the guide is explaining something. Let's hope this works!