New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I'm ready to book a cruise but my HAL guy is on vacation. How dare he take a few days off over a holiday weekend!!! ;p

With Carnival, if I booked online or onboard, my PVP still got the credit. He only did NOT get credit if I booked through an outside travel agent.

If I go ahead and book online today, will my HAL guy get credit for the booking? I don't want to cut him out even though I always do all the planning and cabin selection myself for every cruise I book; I just call and tell them what I want and what price I'm seeing. I like having a person there I can call or email if I have questions so think they should get credit for the booking.

So, should I be patient for a few more days or can I go ahead and grab the cabin I want? If he'll get credit for the sale, I'd like to go ahead and book it.

Thanks all!

My sister booked online a couple of years ago and was not able to transfer to a PCC. Call the number for the PCC department (800) 355-3017 and speak to whoever you can and the proper credit will be given

I'm ready to book a cruise but my HAL guy is on vacation. How dare he take a few days off over a holiday weekend!!! ;p

With Carnival, if I booked online or onboard, my PVP still got the credit. He only did NOT get credit if I booked through an outside travel agent.

If I go ahead and book online today, will my HAL guy get credit for the booking? I don't want to cut him out even though I always do all the planning and cabin selection myself for every cruise I book; I just call and tell them what I want and what price I'm seeing. I like having a person there I can call or email if I have questions so think they should get credit for the booking.

So, should I be patient for a few more days or can I go ahead and grab the cabin I want? If he'll get credit for the sale, I'd like to go ahead and book it.

Thanks all!

Yes you can!!

Book it now online and send your PCC an email giving him the info and Booking Number and he will transfer it to himself.

I've done this 3 or 4 times now when the deals were either just to good to wait on or she was out of the office. Takes her less than 5 minutes to do it.

Go ahead and book it now to make sure you get what you want:)

Joanie

Anyone know whether corned beef hash, or sour cream and salsa, are available at the lido breakfast on Koningsdam? Inquiring minds want to know!

Corned beef hash is on both the Pinnacle Grill and MDR Breakfast menus so it is also available in the Lido Market. I don't remember seeing salsa or sour cream on any of my cruises for breakfast.

Thanks, Crew News. Good to know one of my favorite breakfasts will be available. I guess I can't reasonably expect a dutch ship to serve cheese omelets with onions, salsa and sour cream anyway.

Thanks, Crew News. Good to know one of my favorite breakfasts will be available. I guess I can't reasonably expect a dutch ship to serve cheese omelets with onions, salsa and sour cream anyway.

Yes, they do have ann omelet with those incredients. Jack cheese if I remember correctly.

I may go ahead and book online today, then.

But before I do, question about spa cabins. It doesn't appear that they actually get much in the way of amenities (I don't want nor need bottles of Vitamin water!)

So, do people in spa cabins get a discount on a thermal suite pass?

On Carnival ships that have Cloud 9 spas, booking a spa cabin gives you access to the entire spa area plus discounts on spa treatments. But their spa cabins are at a considerable premium. The spa inside I'm looking at on the K'dam is only a few dollars more than one located elsewhere. I can't see paying any more just to be close to the spa if there really aren't any other perks.

I prefer lower, midship cabins anyway. But if I'd get the thermal suite for less, I'd consider it.

And I know this comes us often but can't find it now - what's the current price for the thermal suite for a solo cruiser (11 night sailing)? I bought a day pass on Z'dam and enjoyed it but since I typically spend port days out and about, I don't know that I'd get my money's worth from a full pass.

I have a few question concerning our upcoming Veendam cruise .

The first is very specific to the port of Hamilton . We will have a guarantee Vista Suite and it appears that when moored the even numbered cabins on the port side will face the harbor while the starboard side will face the town itself . Am I correct ? I think I'd rather have water views .I saw a map drawing and a photo where the ship moored so that port faces the sea . Is this always so ?

Normally I would never worry about which side is "better" but this case may be the exception .

Any idea what America’s Test Kitchen program means on this ship . HAL site says "Enjoy onboard cooking shows and hands-on workshops in partnership with America’s Test Kitchen " . I understand different ships have different programs .

What days is lunch at Pinnacle Grill offered ? It looks great but I can't book on-line . This cruise has 3 nights in Bermuda .

thanks

The first is very specific to the port of Hamilton . We will have a guarantee Vista Suite and it appears that when moored the even numbered cabins on the port side will face the harbor while the starboard side will face the town itself . Am I correct ? I think I'd rather have water views .I saw a map drawing and a photo where the ship moored so that port faces the sea . Is this always so ?

Normally I would never worry about which side is "better" but this case may be the exception .

Any idea what America’s Test Kitchen program means on this ship . HAL site says "Enjoy onboard cooking shows and hands-on workshops in partnership with America’s Test Kitchen " . I understand different ships have different programs .

What days is lunch at Pinnacle Grill offered ? It looks great but I can't book on-line . This cruise has 3 nights in Bermuda .

thanks

When we were in Hamilton, the port side faced the town. (You are right in town). I don't know if that is the case every time or not, though.

PG lunch - you can only book once on board. It should be open all your sea days and may be open on one of the port days. It's not open on embarkation day.

If you go to book on day 1, they can tell you the days it is available and you can choose.

Unless there is something unique about Hamilton, typically, the direction in which a ship is docked depends on such things as which side will have lifeboat drills (for the crew) while the ship is in port, wind, etc. Guests can't know this in advance.

They have certainly made them harder to find.

There will be ipods on board with the art tour loaded which you can borrow, but I believe this should take you where you want to go.....

http://feeds.hollandamerica.com/ShipArtTours

This link doesn't work for me. I can get to the site; but the when clicking on the tours, I get the following message: The requested URL /podcasts.php was not found on this server. Are they only available when on the ship itself?

This link doesn't work for me. I can get to the site; but the when clicking on the tours, I get the following message: The requested URL /podcasts.php was not found on this server. Are they only available when on the ship itself?

that link used to work. Sorry, it seemed to pla for me the other day. The other link for HAL art tours is gone. Perhaps they are only available on the ship now? Very strange.

that link used to work. Sorry, it seemed to pla for me the other day. The other link for HAL art tours is gone. Perhaps they are only available on the ship now? Very strange.

I will check it again in a few days to see if it is just a temporary issue.

Unless there is something unique about Hamilton, typically, the direction in which a ship is docked depends on such things as which side will have lifeboat drills (for the crew) while the ship is in port, wind, etc. Guests can't know this in advance.
I'd agree normally but when I Google images for Veendam & Hamilton, Bermuda, every image

seems to have the ship moored on the starboard side .

I'd agree normally but when I Google images for Veendam & Hamilton, Bermuda, every image

seems to have the ship moored on the starboard side .

That's because the Veendam can dock in only one direction in Hamilton.

That's because the Veendam can dock in only one direction in Hamilton.
Thank you . It seemed highly unlikely that all the port pictures and YouTube videos I found of Veendam in Hamilton would be in the same direction unless that was the only way it could be docked .

Thank you . It seemed highly unlikely that all the port pictures and YouTube videos I found of Veendam in Hamilton would be in the same direction unless that was the only way it could be docked .

I can't remember the precise reason, but it has something to do with where the gangway is placed, and it doesn't work if they tried to use the other side.

We like to use the mini-bar for our own bottles of water, etc. Will the cabin steward empty the contents of the mini bar on embarkation day if we ask?

Thanks!

Let your Room Steward know and they will contact the Bar Staff to remove all of the beverages. This might not happen immediately, so you can remove the items yourself and place them on the desk so that you can put in your own items.

Note that the minibar temps are mid-40's and not as cold as a home refrigerator. Storing food that should be "refrigerated" for several days may not be a good idea.

They did for us.

Let your Room Steward know and they will contact the Bar Staff to remove all of the beverages. This might not happen immediately, so you can remove the items yourself and place them on the desk so that you can put in your own items.

Note that the minibar temps are mid-40's and not as cold as a home refrigerator. Storing food that should be "refrigerated" for several days may not be a good idea.

Thank you both!

And yes, we're new to HAL but not to cruising, so we know those mini-bars are not that cold. But they are fine for bottled water, wine, etc. :) I do appreciate your pointing that out, however; some folks might not be aware.

We are booked on the Veendam for 6/24/17 cruise to Canada. We will be booking excursions in advance. Will we receive credit to our mariner status if book in advance of cruise? It seems that it should carry over but is there some way special to do this. Thanks!

Phyllis K

We are booked on the Veendam for 6/24/17 cruise to Canada. We will be booking excursions in advance. Will we receive credit to our mariner status if book in advance of cruise? It seems that it should carry over but is there some way special to do this. Thanks!

Phyllis K

Yes, since it is linked to your cruise, nothing special is required.

FTR, I put a cabin on hold yesterday and emailed the info to my PCC. He couldn't transfer it to himself. I had to call and cancel, then he rebooked for me.

I meant to ask him about the spa cabins and whether that gives you discounts on spa treatments.

And, I asked earlier but haven't seen a response - what's the current rate for the thermal suite package (for a solo) for 11-nights? Anyone got an idea?