Football on the Getaway with a Child?

Kind of fitting hat someone who likes kickball would also like college football. The two lamest non-sports on the planet. :D

Not everyone can have good taste in sports.. best of luck with your preferred form of entertainment;)

O'Sheehan's

That sucks. We watched the World Series on the Escape Transatlantic the year before. We also watched our favorite team play Monday night football that same cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you!

No guarantee of exactly which games NCL will show, but they definitely do have football games during the season shown on TVs throughout the ship. You'll be able to watch in your cabin but some of the bigger games are shown on the big screen in the Atrium. Check your Freestyle for what/when/where.

Tracy

I was so upset after reading the posts yesterday.. so glad to read this info today!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may just be the strangest thread title ever. :D

I agree' date=' I had to click on it just to see. Thought they might throw the child around instead of a football. :D[/quote']

Lol. Sorry.

There were many, many people upset. The game was in Miami that year and we embarked in Miami. Most people assumed they'd show the game in the sports bar, but they didn't carry it. We learned that if there is something important to us, we need to check to see if it's available to watch on board or change our plans. You can always check scores on the internet, but not the same thing I know.

I'm sure!! So sorry that happened to you.

Last year I talked to a few Disney World reps and the resort we were staying at before we arrived. The hotel couldn't guarantee that the game would be shown at the pool bars..so we rented a cabana 3 months in advance, to make sure we would be able to watch the game. Turns out, they did show it at the bar..but I'm still glad we had our own space just in case the crowd wanted to change it.

It might sound odd to some, but we love our sports, and take that into consideration when traveling.

We were on the Escape Thanksgiving week 2015 and they showed all 3 games on the jumbo screen at the pool with audio thru the speakers on Thursday. Great way to spend the holiday [emoji4].

What about on Saturday? Did they show the NCAA games anywhere?

On that cruise they are likely to have ESPN International/Satellite , which is a very different channel than US ESPN.

Live sports are typically purchased separately from the broadcast channels as well, and for that to happen the satellite carrier has to license them.

It's likely they will have one or two of the NFL games, but which ones who knows. College football is far less likely unless the satellite carrier already has it.

The key here is NEVER depend on a specific event being available on any given cruise.

This is what I'm wondering. I called NCL and they sounded surprised at my question.

Has anyone watched a NCAA game on a NCL cruise?

We were on the Epic last December when all of the conference championship games were played. None of them were shown. They did show a couple of NFL games on Sunday afternoon as well as all of the NFL night games that week

I have never seen a non-bowl college game on a ship, and even not most of them. The sat providers typically don't make deals with the conferences for content, too expensive. Unless ESPN Intl carries it, that would most likely be a no.

Plus, with the sheer number of college games it becomes very hard to please everybody, you start getting the 'why didn't you show MY team' to guest services.

I guess my dry humor went over the head of many! I'll try to make it more obvious in the future. :)

As far as the title I was thinking he wanted a place to play football on board with his kid, after all they do have a place for basketball so...

Ha ha. I knew it was sarcasm. No worries :)

We were on the Epic last December when all of the conference championship games were played. None of them were shown. They did show a couple of NFL games on Sunday afternoon as well as all of the NFL night games that week

I have never seen a non-bowl college game on a ship, and even not most of them. The sat providers typically don't make deals with the conferences for content, too expensive. Unless ESPN Intl carries it, that would most likely be a no.

Plus, with the sheer number of college games it becomes very hard to please everybody, you start getting the 'why didn't you show MY team' to guest services.

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

http://www.sport24-tv.com

Link to weekly sked along the top.

Thank you for this!

Someone actually reactivated a thread on this a little down the page, basically saying on a Thanksgiving 2016 cruise no college football and no Nascar

Ha ha, thanks! I bumped that thread actually..Googled the subject after reading comments here that games may not be shown. That thread popped up and I commented on it. I don't think I'll bring up football while cruising on NCL again, appears to be a highly emotional subject. Who knew?lol

Out of curiosity (and sorry if this is posted and I missed it) about what specific game are we speaking? Because unless it is a nationally televised game, you will certainly be out of luck. If it's something only shown regionally or in a secondary network, it likely will not be shown on the ship.

Out of curiosity (and sorry if this is posted and I missed it) about what specific game are we speaking? Because unless it is a nationally televised game, you will certainly be out of luck. If it's something only shown regionally or in a secondary network, it likely will not be shown on the ship.

OSU vs Michigan. The Saturday after Thanksgiving, college football's "Rivalry Week".

It's definitely televised on a national network.

OSU vs Michigan. The Saturday after Thanksgiving, college football's "Rivalry Week".

It's definitely televised on a national network.

Televised on a national network and being televised nationally are 2 different things. That game might be shown on the network in the midwest, but people in the southwest might see a different game. If it's only regionally broadcast, you stand a much smaller chance of seeing it.

Televised on a national network and being televised nationally are 2 different things. That game might be shown on the network in the midwest, but people in the southwest might see a different game. If it's only regionally broadcast, you stand a much smaller chance of seeing it.

OSU and Michigan are one of the biggest rivalries, and currently, as well as traditionally, 2 of the best programs in college football.

This game is typically shown nationally. I can not imagine that it would suddenly cease to be aired nationally in 2017.

Edited by disneygirl10

National or regional has very little to do with it.

Ship sports are carried via satellite, who purchase channel content from providers as I mentioned above. That content is NOT the same as what is broadcast over cable providers its a separate region/country effectively. You can tune in ESPN on a ship and see a completely different ESPN than you would in, lets say, Ohio (or the same, depending on the program being broadcast on that subchannel)

The only way the ship will carry it is if they purchase an international channel that does, or ala carte. The first is possible but unlikely given past experience. The second is almost completely not going to happen for reasons also noted above.

To set expectations properly so you can plan, I would estimate the odds of any particular non playoff game being shown on a specific game being <1 percent.

A possible alternative would be to stream the game, subject to costs of plan and internet speed (Getaway has the newer systems so it MIGHT be possible)

National or regional has very little to do with it.

Ship sports are carried via satellite, who purchase channel content from providers as I mentioned above. That content is NOT the same as what is broadcast over cable providers its a separate region/country effectively. You can tune in ESPN on a ship and see a completely different ESPN than you would in, lets say, Ohio (or the same, depending on the program being broadcast on that subchannel)

The only way the ship will carry it is if they purchase an international channel that does, or ala carte. The first is possible but unlikely given past experience. The second is almost completely not going to happen for reasons also noted above.

To set expectations properly so you can plan, I would estimate the odds of any particular non playoff game being shown on a specific game being <1 percent.

A possible alternative would be to stream the game, subject to costs of plan and internet speed (Getaway has the newer systems so it MIGHT be possible)

Thank you. Yes, I've already resigned myself to the fact that it won't be shown. My last few posts were just answering the question from another poster. I've spent the majority of my life living in South Florida, and luckily, my college football team is not just a small program, shown only on regional networks. I am planning on purchasing the unlimited wifi plan and hoping for the best!

OSU and Michigan are one of the biggest rivalries, and currently, as well as traditionally, 2 of the best programs in college football.

This game is typically shown nationally. I can not imagine that it would suddenly cease to be aired nationally in 2017.

Being a Big Ten grad, I wasn't in need of the lesson. There are many, many, many big rivalries that weekend. Yes, that is one of them. No, it isn't always THE national game, despite what you might think. Good luck! Should be anyone's game this year.

Being a Big Ten grad, I wasn't in need of the lesson. There are many, many, many big rivalries that weekend. Yes, that is one of them. No, it isn't always THE national game, despite what you might think. Good luck! Should be anyone's game this year.

Oh, ok I wasn't sure if you were familiar with the teams. It's not the only game televised nationally that weekend, it is one of them. I guess if both teams end up having horrible seasons then there is a chance that it wouldn't be.

This will be my first time on NCL. Last year we had the following booked on DCL, they do show the game on the Fantasy.. we typically travel this week of the year, always watch that game while on vacation, along with a lot of other fans. We've only lived in Ohio for 3 years, and actually have never watched it in this State.lol My question in the original post was regarding where it would be appropriate for a 7 year old to watch the game, I honestly had no idea that it wasn't shown on Norwegian..so now I'll plan accordingly. Hopefully the streaming works!

Oh, ok I wasn't sure if you were familiar with the teams. It's not the only game televised nationally that weekend, it is one of them. I guess if both teams end up having horrible seasons then there is a chance that it wouldn't be.

This will be my first time on NCL. Last year we had the following booked on DCL, they do show the game on the Fantasy.. we typically travel this week of the year, always watch that game while on vacation, along with a lot of other fans. We've only lived in Ohio for 3 years, and actually have never watched it in this State.lol My question in the original post was regarding where it would be appropriate for a 7 year old to watch the game, I honestly had no idea that it wasn't shown on Norwegian..so now I'll plan accordingly. Hopefully the streaming works!

The answers are that it MIGHT be shown, just like it MIGHT be shown on the Fantasy sailing that week. Nothing is ever guaranteed at sea, regardless of ship or cruise line. Notice in this post someone complained about not seeing the Worlds Series on Escape even though I watched it on that ship. In other words, there is no way to know until you are sitting there (in O'sheehan's, because yes, it is fine for your 7 year old) waiting to watch the game. Then you will find out if it's being shown or not. That's the same thing that will happen on every ship at sea.

Did you ever sail on DCL when they used to have the ESPN club atop the ship (later turned into a teen club, I believe)? We didn't see games we hoped to see there either. It has nothing to do with cruise line. To say you had no idea NCL wouldn't show it means you didn't pay attention to anything anyone wrote here.

The answers are that it MIGHT be shown, just like it MIGHT be shown on the Fantasy sailing that week. Nothing is ever guaranteed at sea, regardless of ship or cruise line. Notice in this post someone complained about not seeing the Worlds Series on Escape even though I watched it on that ship. In other words, there is no way to know until you are sitting there (in O'sheehan's, because yes, it is fine for your 7 year old) waiting to watch the game. Then you will find out if it's being shown or not. That's the same thing that will happen on every ship at sea.

Did you ever sail on DCL when they used to have the ESPN club atop the ship (later turned into a teen club, I believe)? We didn't see games we hoped to see there either. It has nothing to do with cruise line. To say you had no idea NCL wouldn't show it means you didn't pay attention to anything anyone wrote here.

I think there's a lot of confusion going on. As I said- Before I started the thread I had no idea that it wouldn't be shown. Found out that it will not be shown, or may not be shown, within this thread... googled the subject and found a similar thread from someone complaining about the same weekend. So, I was left with 2 choices - switch my sea/land to a land/sea...or go with unlimited wifi to watch the game- which I didn't know was a possibility at first because I have read conflicting info on the ability to stream. People on this site have said they had success with it, I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

I didn't realize my post/question would cause such a stir. lol.

I think there's a lot of confusion going on. As I said- Before I started the thread I had no idea that it wouldn't be shown. Found out that it will not be shown, or may not be shown, within this thread... googled the subject and found a similar thread from someone complaining about the same weekend. So, I was left with 2 choices - switch my sea/land to a land/sea...or go with unlimited wifi to watch the game- which I didn't know was a possibility at first because I have read conflicting info on the ability to stream. People on this site have said they had success with it, I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

I didn't realize my post/question would cause such a stir. lol.

It's your "I had no idea it wasn't shown on Norwegian" comment that missed the point of the responses. I've watched college football at sea before on NCL. Good luck seeing your game!

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but most Cable/Satellite providers offer live streaming of the channels you get at home via an app. So whoever is your cable/satellite TV provider might allow you to stream it to your phone or tablet. For me that would be DirecTV who allows me to stream all the games via Sunday Ticket and my local CBS/FOX channels.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but most Cable/Satellite providers offer live streaming of the channels you get at home via an app. So whoever is your cable/satellite TV provider might allow you to stream it to your phone or tablet. For me that would be DirecTV who allows me to stream all the games via Sunday Ticket and my local CBS/FOX channels.

It's your "I had no idea it wasn't shown on Norwegian" comment that missed the point of the responses. I've watched college football at sea before on NCL. Good luck seeing your game!

Yes, one more time- before starting this thread I did not know. I don't know how else to phrase that.lol Thanks! I would be thrilled if they happen to show college football that weekend!

This is my plan as of now..have you had luck streaming a game on board?