Does Specialty Restaurant charge include tip?

ipoder

i have been told that part of the specialty restaurant fee covers tip for the servers since they don't share in the main server pool. Is this correct and no tip is needed at Pinnacle, Tamarind, etc.? Thanks for any info.

Servers in all specialty restaurants are treated the same as the MDR servers - they are all covered by the daily Hotel Service Charge (HSC) that is charged to your onboard account. No tip is required in specialty dining venues as you will have already paid it when you pay your HSC.

Servers in all specialty restaurants are treated the same as the MDR servers - they are all covered by the daily Hotel Service Charge (HSC) that is charged to your onboard account. No tip is required in specialty dining venues as you will have already paid it when you pay your HSC.

the tip is part of the hotel service charge, but many people choose to leave an additionl cash tip for servers and or wine stewards. It's entirely a personal choice. Some people use the PG a lot, some only once on a cruise, so it's hard to generalize. There is really no easy way to add a tip on your cruise card, cash is easiest if you have it on you.

The price you pay for the specialty restaurants goes entirely to the cost of the food. No tip is included in that fee.

The wait staff do get a small portion of the Hotel Service Charge. Their tips are not as large as the main dining room wait staff.

We always tip at the end of the meal -- a hand shake works well.

There is no place on the bill (if you do get one) to add an extra gratuity.

It is indeed a personal choice as well as a budgetary issue regarding leaving a cash tip. We leave one on each visit if we are on a short (14 day) cruise and on longer ones, we tip by envelope before departing the ship.

Again, that is our choice and not something the staff should expect.

harry

None of the specialty restaurant charge goes to the stewards in there. But some of the Hotel Service Charge does go to them. That includes some of the HSC from people who never eat in a specialty restaurant, so that adds up.

Word from people in a position to know is that the stewards who work the specialty restaurant total more from the HSC than those who work the main dining room.

None of the specialty restaurant charge goes to the stewards in there. But some of the Hotel Service Charge does go to them. That includes some of the HSC from people who never eat in a specialty restaurant, so that adds up.

Word from people in a position to know is that the stewards who work the specialty restaurant total more from the HSC than those who work the main dining room.

That makes a lot of sense RuthC since working in the PG is something all the waiters strive for.

i have been told that part of the specialty restaurant fee covers tip for the servers since they don't share in the main server pool. Is this correct and no tip is needed at Pinnacle, Tamarind, etc.? Thanks for any info.

As others have said, the specialty restaurant servers are covered by the hotel service charge. No extra tip is needed. Holland America says this:

"Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account."

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Money%20Matters&contentSubMenu=Is%20There%20A%20Hotel%20Service%20Charge%20(Gratuity%2FTip)%3F

I would skip the handshake for health reasons. We don't need to spread the norovirus to the food servers!

igraf

....We always tip at the end of the meal -- a hand shake works well.....

I suspect that all tips left are placed in the "pool" since there is no easy way for these crewmembers to know who are or are not paying the HSC.

My understanding is that the tips go to the pinnacle grill staff pool (they pool their tips).

I suspect most that tip do not exclude the HSC ;)

That makes a lot of sense RuthC since working in the PG is something all the waiters strive for.

On our most recent cruise our PG server told us that it was her first contract with HAL (or any cruise line) so not all PG servers are promoted from the MDR. She had worked in the hotel industry in the past and did an excellent job.

On another note. It is interesting with over 500 days on HAL I don't remember ever seeing a female server in the MDR. There are female wine stewards but we have not noticed a female server.

My understanding is that the tips go to the pinnacle grill staff pool (they pool their tips).

I suspect most that tip do not exclude the HSC ;)

Re: PG Staff Pool--

Based upon my limited experience in a SC Suite and having Breakfast in the PG, I think you are correct. The two mornings that I chose to dine there, I am sure that every wait staff person on duty served me: one for coffee, one for juice, one for the pastry tray, one to take my order, etc.

On our many HAL cruises we have had all kinds of different experiences in PG...ranging from outstanding to dismal! Since we are 4 Star (soon to be 5) we do get the usual 50% discount...so the PG is still quite reasonable. When it comes to leaving an extra tip in PG...it simply depends on the service. We have sometimes had amazing service....in which case we leave a generous tip (along with several thank you's). But when service has been routine (or even less then routine) we feel no obligation to leave any extra tip. In the past 5 years we have not been that happy with dinner in the PG (on several cruises) and did not think it worth the extra cost (even when discounted). But we have really enjoyed each and every lunch we have had in the PG...on the sea days when the venue was open for lunch.

Hank

On our many HAL cruises we have had all kinds of different experiences in PG...ranging from outstanding to dismal! Since we are 4 Star (soon to be 5) we do get the usual 50% discount...so the PG is still quite reasonable. When it comes to leaving an extra tip in PG...it simply depends on the service. We have sometimes had amazing service....in which case we leave a generous tip (along with several thank you's). But when service has been routine (or even less then routine) we feel no obligation to leave any extra tip. In the past 5 years we have not been that happy with dinner in the PG (on several cruises) and did not think it worth the extra cost (even when discounted). But we have really enjoyed each and every lunch we have had in the PG...on the sea days when the venue was open for lunch.

Hank

Your experience mirrors mine exactly! And, as to an extra gratuity, that is what I do.

Carnival Cruise Lines ships that have a Steakhouse offers much better ambiance, service, and cuisine than any PG I have ever patronized, with one exception.

The PG on the Statendam's final cruise for HAL to Singapore offered special menus on some evenings. Even with the regular menu, the PG Chef produced some extraordinary cuisine.

I have come to understand that whether it is the PG or the MDR, it is the Executive Chef in charge of each of the dining venues that determines my satisfaction with the food served. It is the MDR Manager's ability to manage the service in the MDR that determines my satisfaction with the MDR. It is the Hotel Director's ability to well manage all of the Departments under his supervision that leads to a "Signature of Excellence" cruise (to now use an out-dated slogan) or one that disappointments. And, it's the Ship's Master that sets the tone and the expectations for the Department Heads and Crew that has a major influence on the cruise experience that I receive.