Where to stay in NY before cruising on Gem

BiancaV

Hello everyone. Just looking into staying in NYC the night before boarding the Gem. Any suggestions where to stay? I'm looking for a place where I can leave my car for free and possible shuttle? I seem to keep finding taxi service only. Any help is greatly appreciated!

~Ali

Plenty of discussion on the East Coast Departures board about where to stay pre-cruise in NY; if you haven't done so already, please head over there and do a search as well as start a thread if you need to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Be prepared not to find a place in Manhattan where you can park for free and take a shuttle to the pier. (Parking at Manhattan hotels is typically about $50/night, and that's while you're actually there paying for a room.)

Have a great cruise!

(And don't be surprised if your thread is moved to the East Coast Departures board.)

Edited by Turtles06

The above is correct, no place to leave your car for free in NYC. Parking at the pier ($40 a night) is cheaper than at hotels. There are a handful of NJ properties that do this, but you will be paying a higher hotel rate for the package.

Don't rule out staying in Staten Island. There's a couple hotels that are only about 25 miles from the NYC cruise port. You can find parking in Staten Island that is free or very cheap. Leave your car there, and take an Uber, Lyft, taxi, livery, etc into the city.

I think I read there is a Hampton Inn in Staten Island that not only lets you leave your car for free but runs a free shuttle to NJ port

A shuttle to Bayonne, NJ will be of no help to the OP, who needs to get to the Gem in Manhattan.

Do you actually want to stay and see NYC or are you just trying to get here the night before the cruise?

If it's the 1st....seriously just get a hotel and pay their parking rate for 1 night and just drive to the pier in the morning and park there

If you just want to be near NYC just stay in jersey or Westchester or ct or wherever makes sense and drive in the next morning

Edited by luvtheships

We're just looking to be close to the cruise. We'll be driving from Mass and won't be getting in until late Friday so we won't have time to do any sight seeing. So, yes I think the suggestion of staying outside of the city would be a smart choice and cheaper! :-). If there's any hotels that people recommend that would be great! Thanks so much

The above is correct, no place to leave your car for free in NYC. Parking at the pier ($40 a night) is cheaper than at hotels. There are a handful of NJ properties that do this, but you will be paying a higher hotel rate for the package.

The terminal has a 25% discount for gem cruisers. Go to terminal website to download the coupon.

Yes, I saw the coupon, thanks. My husband was also saying he'd want the car at the terminal anyway for easier departure.

I will also be taking advantage of the terminal parking even though it's expensive. Still recovering from leg injury

We're just looking to be close to the cruise. We'll be driving from Mass and won't be getting in until late Friday so we won't have time to do any sight seeing. So, yes I think the suggestion of staying outside of the city would be a smart choice and cheaper! :-). If there's any hotels that people recommend that would be great! Thanks so much

Coming from mass I might just leave the house at 5 am day of cruise but

Alternately stay in white plains as it's an nyc north these days

You can stay within a 5 miles or less radius of Wp and easily come into town and enjoy with many safe municipal lots restaurants movies bars etc

Alternately book a nice hotel on Westchester Ave aka the cross Westchester expressway aka I287 with facilities a restaurant and an indoor pool and enjoy

A Westchester Ave hotel will cater to the business class on weekdays but act as a mini getaway at other times

You won't be disappointed

Edited by luvtheships

What is your cruise date? Where are you coming from in Mass?

A good strategy is to look for a Hotwire room in the Stamford CT area. If you leave after 9 am the next morning, you can take the cars only route through Westchester County and be at the port by 10 with no local NYC street driving except in front of the port.

If you choose to do this, post back for more details.

We're not cruising until next summer and coming from North of Boston (about 20 minutes North). These are all great suggestions Thankyou. I'm thinking just getting a little bit closer the night before (even CT) would work. 😊

We're not cruising until next summer and coming from North of Boston (about 20 minutes North). These are all great suggestions Thankyou. I'm thinking just getting a little bit closer the night before (even CT) would work. 😊

I live about 30 minutes NW of Boston and make trips to the NY area several times a year. For family events we have been booking hotels in the Stamford/Rye area for a long time.

Post back when you are ready to finalize your plans. What town are you in north of Boston? I have detailed driving instructions for the cars only route from Meriden CT to the Manhattan Cruiseport. I know staying in CT will work. The trick is getting a reasonably priced nice hotel on a weekday night. Weekends are never a problem. The closer you get to Manhattan the hotels become more expensive and not as nice.

As others have said, there are many hotels on I-287 in Port Chester, Rye, White Plains, Elmsford, Tarrytown, etc. Tons of choices so that you should be able to find one for a good price. Weeknights can be hard, but you can find a 3-4 star hotel with free parking. With so many corporate campuses, the hotels tend to be nice and if there aren't big meetings and conferences have good prices in Westchester County.

Cheap hotels and Cheap Parking don't exist in Midtown Manhattan. The only place to park for free would be to drive your car into the Hudson and let it float away. Hotels are cheap in winter, but parking is never cheap except for short durations on weekends.

There is a chance that you could find a hotel that would allow parking for a week during your cruise in Westchester. If you call up some of the rural/office park hotels in Westchester and make a request, you might get free parking. An Uber into the city and out of the city from White Plains to the Cruise Port is about $70. Taxis and private cars cost more since Westchester taxis can't pick people up in Manhattan and New York City taxis can't pick people up in Westchester. If you get a NYC taxi from the cruise port to Westchester, your rate doubles once you cross the county line since you essentially are paying round trip for the taxi to get back to a zone where they can pick people up. Uber doesn't have these regulations, so they are always cheaper when crossing the county line unless there is high surge pricing.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park. We're staying overnight and leaving our vehicle for our 10 day cruise starting in early February on the Gem. Has anyone ever used them? There isn't a shuttle but they say we can use a taxi. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.:confused:

I found the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park. We're staying overnight and leaving our vehicle for our 10 day cruise starting in early February on the Gem. Has anyone ever used them? There isn't a shuttle but they say we can use a taxi. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.:confused:

This hotel offers a park/sleep/cruise that folks have been discussing recently. It is a relatively new offering. If you spoke to them I don't know why they did not mention this because it is on their website. The transportation they offer is not what we think of as a shuttle because I don't think the hotel has its own transportation( i.e. "Shuttle"). As part of their offer they arrange for a taxi or car service to take you to the port. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2365921

If you could get a hotel that offers park for a week in new Rochelle...I thinks it's the radisson now and it used to be a ramada you would be just a short walk from the new Rochelle metro north into grand central then a quick taxi to the pier. Round trip including train and taxi should be around $60 for 2. Give or take. The metro north would more than likely be off peak pricing. Significant savings so go in after 10 am and come back before 4 pm. Totally doable

If you could get a hotel that offers park for a week in new Rochelle...

I thinks it's the radisson now and it used to be a ramada you would be just a short walk

from the new Rochelle metro north into grand central

then a quick taxi to the pier.

Round trip including train and taxi should be around $60 for 2. Give or take.

The metro north would more than likely be off peak pricing. Significant savings so go in after 10 am and come back before 4 pm. Totally doable

Thanks for the information; I'll look into it.

Of course, for some, it may be " totally doable" :).

Sometimes, I plan for these "hoops of fire",

Sometimes, I'd just like to go on vacation,

without thinking.:p

Thanks for the information; I'll look into it.

Of course, for some, it may be " totally doable" :).

Sometimes, I plan for these "hoops of fire",

Sometimes, I'd just like to go on vacation,

without thinking.:p

I'm not sure what you are trying to say but I just responded to the post about parking

I just drive in and park at the pier no matter the cost so I look for convenience. I personally would never park at a hotel and take the train to save $$$