Carnival: Heavy Duty scooter in standard room?

bunchesofun

Hi,

I'm thinking we're good with this as Special Needs at Sea says the scooter needs 21" clearance, and Carnival sent me info saying standard cabins are (apx)22" wide.

Has anyone rented the heavy duty scooter from Special Needs at Sea and used it with a standard cabin?

We have two cabins who now need mobility scooters who didn't when we booked originally. That plus one cabin has 4 people and don't see any accessible cabins for 4. Plus we are Easy Saver, so no changes without big penalties. :(

So if anyone has successfully used the Heavy Duty scooter in a standard room I'd be grateful if you would reply. Thanks!

I have used my scooter on both Princess and Disney... my scooter fits through the door on both.... it needs 21" and both doors are 22". I do take the arm rests off just so they don't rub on the door. We stayed in balcony rooms . You should be fine. The cabin with 4 might be crowded with a scooter in the room... but you should be fine!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have used my scooter on both Princess and Disney... my scooter fits through the door on both.... it needs 21" and both doors are 22". I do take the arm rests off just so they don't rub on the door. We stayed in balcony rooms . You should be fine. The cabin with 4 might be crowded with a scooter in the room... but you should be fine!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! That helps put my mind at ease. I read someone's story that they rented scooters and they did NOT fit in the room and had to be left in the hallway and that spooked me! Yeah, I know the 4 in a cabin is going to be tight, but can't be helped and we are paying so little for the third and fourth people that we couldn't afford to get a second room. But we'll survive. Hey, it's a cruise!

What cruise lines forget when they tell the width of their doorways is that they measure including the door frame. Some cabins real width can be as small as 20 inches. Unless you remove the armrests from the scooter, it will not make it through a standard door on Carnival.

Four people plus a big scooter in a standard cabin? I just don't see how that will work. I've been confined to a full size scooter since 2009 when my post polio progressed, and from experience, there's barely enough room for two people plus a scooter. Where will they put the scooter for charging, and not block access to the door, the bathroom door or the balcony, if they have one? And, you absolutely CANNOT leave a scooter in the hallway, as it's against SOLAS rules and it blocks the hallway for the cleaning carts and for others who use scooters, wheelchairs or walkers. And since the clearance between the bed and the cabin wall can be very narrow, so you may not be able to move the scooters very far into the cabin. You might want to check into renting a smaller scooter, or if that's not possible you may have to break down the scooter into their smaller parts to store it in the cabin.

I own what I would call a heavy duty scooter. It is a Pride Victory 10 and it is what I saw other passengers use who rented them from Special Needs at Sea. I was able to fit mine through the cabin door but it was a tight squeeze. I had already removed the armrests because they bug me. But I could get it through the door OK. Assuming they are still using the same scooters you should have no problems. If you do have a problem just remove the armrests. I think they just pop off and on without using tools. I'm not certain of that since I haven't used them since I've had it.

I own what I would call a heavy duty scooter. It is a Pride Victory 10 and it is what I saw other passengers use who rented them from Special Needs at Sea. I was able to fit mine through the cabin door but it was a tight squeeze. I had already removed the armrests because they bug me. But I could get it through the door OK. Assuming they are still using the same scooters you should have no problems. If you do have a problem just remove the armrests. I think they just pop off and on without using tools. I'm not certain of that since I haven't used them since I've had it.

Ok, will be prepared to remove the armrests.

As for the other, it will be difficult, but we will manage. We also got permission that with the bed as a king, to move the night stand near the window to the other side, or remove entirely to free up additional space in the main part of the cabin. We only have a french door interior, so can't go outside of the cabin, but it will just function as a window. Hopefully that 18-20" of extra space will help us.

There is not much choice at this point. DH's knees have gotten so bad he can hardly walk with two canes. If he is going to enjoy this trip the scooter is now mandatory. We'll just have to deal with it. I don't expect we are going to spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway. The third and fourth people are my 16 (will be 17) year old daughter, and her 18 year old friend. They will be out most of the time I would imagine.

Ok, will be prepared to remove the armrests.

As for the other, it will be difficult, but we will manage. We also got permission that with the bed as a king, to move the night stand near the window to the other side, or remove entirely to free up additional space in the main part of the cabin. We only have a french door interior, so can't go outside of the cabin, but it will just function as a window. Hopefully that 18-20" of extra space will help us.

There is not much choice at this point. DH's knees have gotten so bad he can hardly walk with two canes. If he is going to enjoy this trip the scooter is now mandatory. We'll just have to deal with it. I don't expect we are going to spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway. The third and fourth people are my 16 (will be 17) year old daughter, and her 18 year old friend. They will be out most of the time I would imagine.

I wouldn't be cruising (or shopping) if it weren't for my scooter. I can and do park my scooter near the entrance to the dining room and can walk to my table, but thats about it. They will let your hubby ride to the table and they will take it and park it. Take a piece of ribbon or something to tie on it to recognize your own. All the ones I saw onboard were red and mine is blue so I can always spot mine. Moving or even removing the night stand is a good idea. the rooms are tight and you probably won't be able to turn the scooter around in there. But he could just back it out the same way it came in. By the way mine gave me so much freedom. I was able to buzz up by myself to get a snack at the deli, or go back to the cabin by myself if necessary. Don't forget to request a shower chair.

Edited by Boozebabe

I wouldn't be cruising (or shopping) if it weren't for my scooter. I can and do park my scooter near the entrance to the dining room and can walk to my table, but thats about it. They will let your hubby ride to the table and they will take it and park it. Take a piece of ribbon or something to tie on it to recognize your own. All the ones I saw onboard were red and mine is blue so I can always spot mine. Moving or even removing the night stand is a good idea. the rooms are tight and you probably won't be able to turn the scooter around in there. But he could just back it out the same way it came in. By the way mine gave me so much freedom. I was able to buzz up by myself to get a snack at the deli, or go back to the cabin by myself if necessary. Don't forget to request a shower chair.

We've read the suggestion of backing the scooter INTO the room so you can just drive it out, so I think that is what we will do. Marking the scooter to identify it makes a lot of sense and is something I hadn't thought about. Thanks! Feeling more at ease about this whole thing.

We've read the suggestion of backing the scooter INTO the room so you can just drive it out, so I think that is what we will do. Marking the scooter to identify it makes a lot of sense and is something I hadn't thought about. Thanks! Feeling more at ease about this whole thing.

As I remember they all have numbers on them but if it were me I'd probably forget my number. LOL

Another thought I just had is that if its like mine it will have a small dial on the control panel that allows you to increase speed. When on the ship I dial mine down toward the turtle. Otherwise one could accidently lunge the scooter into someones ankles. (Not good) People move kind of slow on the ship. But when off the ship I dial it up and it will go faster.

Edited by Boozebabe

As I remember they all have numbers on them but if it were me I'd probably forget my number. LOL

Another thought I just had is that if its like mine it will have a small dial on the control panel that allows you to increase speed. When on the ship I dial mine down toward the turtle. Otherwise one could accidently lunge the scooter into someones ankles. (Not good) People move kind of slow on the ship. But when off the ship I dial it up and it will go faster.

That's a good idea too, managing the speed. I know I've read about the problems of getting on and off the elevators with a scooter. I hate walking behind women with strollers. They tend to use them as battering rams...

That's a good idea too, managing the speed. I know I've read about the problems of getting on and off the elevators with a scooter. I hate walking behind women with strollers. They tend to use them as battering rams...

I hope I'm not sounding like a 'know-it-all' by giving so many tips. But I just thought of another one. When entering an empty elevator I try to pull straight in the middle. People can then fill in on both sides. When leaving the elevator I let everyone else off first then slowly back straight out.

I hope I'm not sounding like a 'know-it-all' by giving so many tips. But I just thought of another one. When entering an empty elevator I try to pull straight in the middle. People can then fill in on both sides. When leaving the elevator I let everyone else off first then slowly back straight out.

You're not being a "know it all" you are being helpful! Things I would not have thought of! He's never used a scooter, and I've only used them at Walmart, so don't have a lot of scooter knowledge so every tip helps!

You're not being a "know it all" you are being helpful! Things I would not have thought of! He's never used a scooter, and I've only used them at Walmart, so don't have a lot of scooter knowledge so every tip helps!

SpecialNeedsatSea's standard rental scooter is currently the Pride GoGo Sport which is 21.25" wide at the rear wheelbase. Despite the fact that a Carnival Cruise Rep told you the cabin door is 22" wide that person failed to tell you

that measurement is from door frame to door frame. Being that the door does not open flush to the wall 2" must be deducted to get the total threshold clearance making the actual number to be only 20". Further more the rep also failed to tell you that it's Carnival's policy that if the scooter is larger than 21" that an accessible cabin is required. The following which was copied directly from Carnival's website :

Scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Keep in mind that the scooter minimizes the available space within your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 22" entry doorway.
If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase an accessible stateroom or rent a smaller scooter.
Segways and other similar vehicles cannot be operated on board our ships. They must be taken off the ship to be used while in port.

Even with removing the armrests as was suggested by other posters the fact that the actual width of the scooter you're renting is 21.25" and the threshold clearance is approximately only 20" and not 22" it's going to be a very tight fit through the doorway. Not to mention the fact that there will be 4 people in the cabin which has very limited floor space even without having a scooter. Please do not attempt to store the scooter in the hallway when it's not abled to get into the room despite the cabin attendant telling you it's OK. SOLAS (safety of life at sea) regulations mandated that nothing can be stored in the hallways as it impedes the safety of ALL passengers. When I see a this being done I for one will contact ship's security to have it removed immediately and yes I do use a mobility scooter

Edited by xxoocruiser

In reading the original post thread it came to my attention that the OP has rented a "Heavy Duty Scooter" from SpecialNeedsatSea. Therefore the scooter that I mentioned in post #15 of this thread is NOT the correct model. SpecialNeedsatSea "Heavy Duty Scooter" rental is the Pride Victory 9 which is 22.25" wide at the rear wheelbase. Therefore the scooter will most definitely not fit through the a Carnival standard cabin door.

As I stated in my previous post Carnival states on it's website that if the scooter is larger than 21" than an accessible must be booked.

Suggest that OP check their SpecialNeedsatSeas rental agreement to verify is it's states whether a "Standard Scooter" or a "Heavy Duty Scooter" has been rented. If the contracts states "Standard Scooter" than there's a tight chance it may fit through the cabin door. However if the contract states " Heavy Duty Scooter" than an accessible cabin is most definitely required.

In reading the original post thread it came to my attention that the OP has rented a "Heavy Duty Scooter" from SpecialNeedsatSea. Therefore the scooter that I mentioned in post #15 of this thread is NOT the correct model. SpecialNeedsatSea "Heavy Duty Scooter" rental is the Pride Victory 9 which is 22.25" wide at the rear wheelbase. Therefore the scooter will most definitely not fit through the a Carnival standard cabin door.

As I stated in my previous post Carnival states on it's website that if the scooter is larger than 21" than an accessible must be booked.

Suggest that OP check their SpecialNeedsatSeas rental agreement to verify is it's states whether a "Standard Scooter" or a "Heavy Duty Scooter" has been rented. If the contracts states "Standard Scooter" than there's a tight chance it may fit through the cabin door. However if the contract states " Heavy Duty Scooter" than an accessible cabin is most definitely required.

We have two cabins booked, and need two scooters. One standard and one heavy duty. The special needs at sea website states that both are 21" wide. That is all I know, it is advertised as 21". Both of them. We can't change cabins as A) We are booked Easy Saver which does not allow changes, and B) One cabin has 4 people in it and none of the accessible cabins are for more than 2 people and we can't afford a third cabin.

So, now I am back where I started, not knowing what to do. The company says they are 21" which is acceptable, you are telling me they are bigger, the heavy duty being significantly bigger. What is a person to do?

We have two cabins booked, and need two scooters. One standard and one heavy duty. The special needs at sea website states that both are 21" wide. That is all I know, it is advertised as 21". Both of them. We can't change cabins as A) We are booked Easy Saver which does not allow changes, and B) One cabin has 4 people in it and none of the accessible cabins are for more than 2 people and we can't afford a third cabin.

So, now I am back where I started, not knowing what to do. The company says they are 21" which is acceptable, you are telling me they are bigger, the heavy duty being significantly bigger. What is a person to do?

Call and talk to Carnival's Special Needs department. I have always found them to be knowledgeable and helpful. You will get your best answers there regarding cabin changes (which you can do under ES, within limits) and the availability of 4 person HC cabins (which do exist, depending on the ship). Worrying won't help :) I've been there!

SNAS does state that the heavy duty scooter is 21" wide, the bariatric is 27".

Everyone is right, though, with 4 people in a standard cabin, you may not be able to even get the scooter in there. You don't say what the configurations for beds is, but if it is anything other than 2 twins and 2 drop-downs, it won't work.

Call and talk to Carnival's Special Needs department. I have always found them to be knowledgeable and helpful. You will get your best answers there regarding cabin changes (which you can do under ES, within limits) and the availability of 4 person HC cabins (which do exist, depending on the ship). Worrying won't help :) I've been there!

SNAS does state that the heavy duty scooter is 21" wide, the bariatric is 27".

Everyone is right, though, with 4 people in a standard cabin, you may not be able to even get the scooter in there. You don't say what the configurations for beds is, but if it is anything other than 2 twins and 2 drop-downs, it won't work.

I spoke with Special Needs at Sea. While they indeed use a Pride Go Go Sport for a standard, they use a Pride Victory 10 for the heavy duty. She assures me that they are 21" wide at the wheelbase and that they WILL go in a standard cabin, that they do not need an accessible cabin.. I hung up and called back and got someone different. They told me the exact same thing, that they are 21" wide at the wheelbase and that they will fit in a standard cabin. They said the heavy duty needs to be in a larger cabin (than an interior) because it is 5" longer than the standard. But that the doorway was not the issue.

I could be wrong, but I would think that if they were consistently renting scooters that didn't fit in the cabins, that had to sit in the hallway, that Carnival would no longer refer people to book with them. Just my thought.

After that, I called the "Guest Access Support" desk and talked with them. I mentioned about how I didn't think they would recommend SNAS if there were problems with them renting scooters that didn't fit, and she did not contradict that statement. I can't imagine a rental place leaving a scooter in the hallway when they know it's illegal.

Yes, we know the size of the cabin having sailed on the Pride before. The scooter will have to be in front of the desk at night. We will have a king and the bunk beds. We have already gotten permission to remove one of the nightstands so we could push the beds closer toward the window for more room. Not the best situation but we'll deal with it. I "might" call and see if there are any accessible cabins for 4 available, and if changing would be allowed without penalty. Just to see.

We just booked another cruise for Feb '18 and have booked a Premium Cabin for the extra room next time. Neither adults needed a scooter when the reservations were made almost a year and a half ago.

I spoke with Special Needs at Sea. While they indeed use a Pride Go Go Sport for a standard, they use a Pride Victory 10 for the heavy duty. She assures me that they are 21" wide at the wheelbase and that they WILL go in a standard cabin, that they do not need an accessible cabin.. I hung up and called back and got someone different. They told me the exact same thing, that they are 21" wide at the wheelbase and that they will fit in a standard cabin. They said the heavy duty needs to be in a larger cabin (than an interior) because it is 5" longer than the standard. But that the doorway was not the issue.

I could be wrong, but I would think that if they were consistently renting scooters that didn't fit in the cabins, that had to sit in the hallway, that Carnival would no longer refer people to book with them. Just my thought.

After that, I called the "Guest Access Support" desk and talked with them. I mentioned about how I didn't think they would recommend SNAS if there were problems with them renting scooters that didn't fit, and she did not contradict that statement. I can't imagine a rental place leaving a scooter in the hallway when they know it's illegal.

Yes, we know the size of the cabin having sailed on the Pride before. The scooter will have to be in front of the desk at night. We will have a king and the bunk beds. We have already gotten permission to remove one of the nightstands so we could push the beds closer toward the window for more room. Not the best situation but we'll deal with it. I "might" call and see if there are any accessible cabins for 4 available, and if changing would be allowed without penalty. Just to see.

We just booked another cruise for Feb '18 and have booked a Premium Cabin for the extra room next time. Neither adults needed a scooter when the reservations were made almost a year and a half ago.

Sorry to tell you that what's stated on SpecialNeedsatSea's website and what their rep has told you regarding the width of the Heavy Duty Scooter is regrettably incorrect. Additionally the Carnival's Guest Access Desk. is not an expert on the make and models of mobility scooters so the rep was not in a position to dispute what you told them.

Check out Pride Mobility's website. Being that Pride Mobility manufacturers the Pride Victory I trust their specs over anything told to you by SNAS and or posted on the SNAS website. Furthermore I have a friend that has the Pride Victory 10 and it indeeds is 22.25" in width at the wheelbase. SpecialNeedsatSeas. Click on the tab "Specifications" in this link the http://www.pridemobility.com/scooters/victory10.asp

You stated in a previous post that when the cabins were booked scooters where not needed and what are you to do now ? If it were me I would have contacted Carnival to see if any accessible cabins were available first. If there was , than would check to see if the cabins were in the same category as you originally booked. If so than you most likely would have been able to switch at no change in cost. If in another category than there would most likely be a cost increase. If you call now and they tell you that a "Modified Accessible Cabin" is available not that that's not the same as an "Accessible Cabin" regardless of what the rep tells you. A Modified Accessible Cabin is still just a basic standard cabin and is designed for use by guests with mobility limitations, who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. Modified Cabins are ideal for guests who only use an assistive device for traversing longer distances, a cane or walker, and who may benefit from certain accessible features, such as grab bars, to assist with balance.

Good Luck ! Hope it works out for you.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Sorry to tell you that what's stated on SpecialNeedsatSea's website and what their rep has told you regarding the width of the Heavy Duty Scooter is regrettably incorrect. Additionally the Carnival's Guest Access Desk. is not an expert on the make and models of mobility scooters so the rep was not in a position to dispute what you told them.

Check out Pride Mobility's website. Being that Pride Mobility manufacturers the Pride Victory I trust their specs over anything told to you by SNAS and or posted on the SNAS website. Furthermore I have a friend that has the Pride Victory 10 and it indeeds is 22.25" in width at the wheelbase. SpecialNeedsatSeas. Click on the tab "Specifications" in this link the http://www.pridemobility.com/scooters/victory10.asp

You stated in a previous post that when the cabins were booked scooters where not needed and what are you to do now ? If it were me I would have contacted Carnival to see if any accessible cabins were available first. If there was , than would check to see if the cabins were in the same category as you originally booked. If so than you most likely would have been able to switch at no change in cost. If in another category than there would most likely be a cost increase. If you call now and they tell you that a "Modified Accessible Cabin" is available not that that's not the same as an "Accessible Cabin" regardless of what the rep tells you. A Modified Accessible Cabin is still just a basic standard cabin and is designed for use by guests with mobility limitations, who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. Modified Cabins are ideal for guests who only use an assistive device for traversing longer distances, a cane or walker, and who may benefit from certain accessible features, such as grab bars, to assist with balance.

Good Luck ! Hope it works out for you.

I am between the rock and the hard place. There are no accessible or modified cabins available on the ship for that date. I have emailed pridemobility for clarification. I want an email so I can contact SNAS if needed to discuss this and send them the reply from pridemoility if needed. We ARE going on this cruise. The question is whether we can have the scooters or whether we will have to use the walkers instead. I appreciate your taking the time to be thourough in explaining things. It is just so frustrating when you go to the source (SNAS) and get incorrect information that can be a problem later.

Edited by bunchesofun

OK I just took my fat ass to the garage and measured my Pride Victory 10. The rear wheelbase is 21" wide. The specs say it is 22.25" wide. So the specs are WRONG. I amd telling you that my scooter fit thru the doorway of a Carnival cabin. I did not or never have I had a HC cabin.

I don't know how wide it is with the armrests since I haven't had them on it since I bought it.

You also will not need to charge but maybe once during the cruise. Mine went thru 3 days of travel to Florida, a day of sight seeing in Ft Laudedale along the River Walk and 3 days on the ship before I lost even one light on the gauge. They are good for about 15-16 miles before needing a charge. You don't need to charge it every night.

Hi,

I'm thinking we're good with this as Special Needs at Sea says the scooter needs 21" clearance, and Carnival sent me info saying standard cabins are (apx)22" wide.

Has anyone rented the heavy duty scooter from Special Needs at Sea and used it with a standard cabin?

We have two cabins who now need mobility scooters who didn't when we booked originally. That plus one cabin has 4 people and don't see any accessible cabins for 4. Plus we are Easy Saver, so no changes without big penalties. :(

So if anyone has successfully used the Heavy Duty scooter in a standard room I'd be grateful if you would reply. Thanks!

When are you going on your cruise? I am going on the Carnival Conquest on Jan 29 sailing. I will have my scooter with me and will take my small tape measure and measure some doors for you. I think you said you have a balcony room so I'll be sure to measure a couple of them. Hope this helps.

Okay. Calming down a bit. (A BIT). Looking at the manufacturer's specs, the Pride Go Go is usable by someone up to 325 pounds. SNAS says the limit is 249! Which is why we went with the heavy duty one. I am going to call SNAS and see if they will let us rent the Go Go instead because the manufacturer says my husband is within the weight limit for it. That would solve the major problem as I think that it will fit the cabin. I've read of many people using them and having them fit in standard cabins. So that's the plan for tomorrow. Contacting SNAS as soon as I hear back from Pride Mobility.

OK I just took my fat ass to the garage and measured my Pride Victory 10. The rear wheelbase is 21" wide. The specs say it is 22.25" wide. So the specs are WRONG. I amd telling you that my scooter fit thru the doorway of a Carnival cabin. I did not or never have I had a HC cabin.

I don't know how wide it is with the armrests since I haven't had them on it since I bought it.

You also will not need to charge but maybe once during the cruise. Mine went thru 3 days of travel to Florida, a day of sight seeing in Ft Laudedale along the River Walk and 3 days on the ship before I lost even one light on the gauge. They are good for about 15-16 miles before needing a charge. You don't need to charge it every night.

Boozebabe, I love you! If I could hug you right now I would! I already wrote about how the specs from PM for the Go GO say it has a weight limit of 325 which is much more than my husband weighs. So if SNAS will let us change to a Go Go, I might do that, if they won't let us change I am not going to worry about it. Did I mention I love you?