Cambodia Visa - Viking Mekong Cruise from HoChiMingh City to Phnom Penh

wumac

We are Canadians booked to cruise in February 2017 from HCM City to Cambodia entering at Phnom Penh. Viking wants us to get visa prior to leaving our home country. Only place that issues is Consulate in Washington, DC. We need to send in our original passports and wait 3 weeks. We are travelling in January and do not want to risk losing our passports. Can we wait till we are in Phnom Penh on the boat to get our visas?

Check on the internet the requirements for a "Visa on Arrival."

That means you pick up your visa on arrival at Viet Nam AIRPORT.

Also I think you might have to pay cash for a Cambodia on Arrival at the Viking port. Check the internet for Cambodia requirements.

Thanks. Already did without making any headway. Ultimately, I think it's Viking's call but so far they have refused to disclose process while docking in Cambodia on the Mekong. VOA is best for us. I'll try them again.

We are Canadians travelling in Feb from Saigon with AMAWATERWAYS. After leaving saigon we embark a river cruise up the Mekong and enter Cambodia on the cruise. We have been told that Amawaterways will assist us getting the Cambodia visa when we cross the border on the river. We just pay the fee and hand over the extra passport size photos we are to bring.

We have been to Cambodia before with another tour company and they arranged the visa at the airport. We were told to bring 2 extra passport photos for it and paid a fee.

We are arranging the Vietnam VOA before we go...cheaper than sending off to embassy. There is lots of great up to date info on trip advisor's vietnam and Cambodia forums.

Safe travels

From what I can tell, you can apply for an eVisa here: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ (There looks to be a few countries not eligible but Canada isn't one of them. FWIW, I am an American citizen.)

We are going in late February 2017 so I was planning to get an eVisa. (It is a little more expensive than getting one on arrival but I would prefer to have it in-hand before arrival.)

HTH...

RK

From what I can tell, you can apply for an eVisa here: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ (There looks to be a few countries not eligible but Canada isn't one of them. FWIW, I am an American citizen.)

We are going in late February 2017 so I was planning to get an eVisa. (It is a little more expensive than getting one on arrival but I would prefer to have it in-hand before arrival.)

HTH...

RK

In your case, if arriving in Cambodia by air, getting the visa for 30 days on arrival at the airport is simple and quick. You just need $30 in USD, a passport photo and fill in a simple form.

The whole process should not take more than 15 minutes

Read the Cambodia consular visa site carefully. In February 2016, e-visas were NOT valid for Cambodia when you arrived on the Mekong.

We got the regular visa on our own before the trip, however, we were one of the very few passengers who had done so (Saigon to Cambodia on the Mekong). A ship officer collected all passports, including ours, took them ashore at the border post while the ship was waiting anchored in the river. It took hours for him to come back. The border is not close to Phnom Pen.

We had our own visas because our company (APT) had had an issue before when their ship arrived on a public holiday and the border post was closed. Ask Viking why they want you to get the Cambodia visa beforehand.

Edited by Floridiana

• 5 months later...
We are Canadians travelling in Feb from Saigon with AMAWATERWAYS. After leaving saigon we embark a river cruise up the Mekong and enter Cambodia on the cruise. We have been told that Amawaterways will assist us getting the Cambodia visa when we cross the border on the river. We just pay the fee and hand over the extra passport size photos we are to bring.

We have been to Cambodia before with another tour company and they arranged the visa at the airport. We were told to bring 2 extra passport photos for it and paid a fee.

We are arranging the Vietnam VOA before we go...cheaper than sending off to embassy. There is lots of great up to date info on trip advisor's vietnam and Cambodia forums.

Safe travels

Hi Jack, we are taking this same AMA trip this fall and working on visas now. Did AMA secure your Cambodian visas upon crossing the border on the Mekong, as you anticipated when you posted earlier this year? Any glitches to be concerned about? I called AMA and the rep I spoke to was somewhat non-committal about the cruise company being involved in securing visas on board. Thanks!

Hi Jack, we are taking this same AMA trip this fall and working on visas now. Did AMA secure your Cambodian visas upon crossing the border on the Mekong, as you anticipated when you posted earlier this year? Any glitches to be concerned about? I called AMA and the rep I spoke to was somewhat non-committal about the cruise company being involved in securing visas on board. Thanks!

Very easy. .. they took our passports and pictures and stopped at the border crossing. They even charged the fee to our ship board account. Couldn't have been easier. They do this procedure every week.

Fall of 2016.......Vantage did the Cambodian visa the same way. We gave them passport, $$ ,and 2 pictures and the ship took care of the visas. The Vietnam visa was more costly and had to be secured prior to arriving...we needed a multi-entry which was more costly. GenVisa was the facilitator that was recommended by Vantage and we used.