Handicap Assist From Ship to Shore

buckeyefanatic

Why can't the cruise lines work with locals to assist handicap passengers from ship to shore. Alot of passengers cannot walk the distance to shore from the ship. Why is there not shuttles available or locals pulling a cart or rickshaw so to speak on a bicycle. They do this in Key West. If the cruise lines are the backbone of these ports to their economy then strong young men should be willing to do this. I'm fairly positive alot of elderly or handicapped would love this service if available. Can't remember which port offered a trolley pulled by a tractor but it was a God send to me. Let's get it done as many of us just stay on the boat.

Why can't the cruise lines work with locals to assist handicap passengers from ship to shore. Alot of passengers cannot walk the distance to shore from the ship. Why is there not shuttles available or locals pulling a cart or rickshaw so to speak on a bicycle. They do this in Key West. If the cruise lines are the backbone of these ports to their economy then strong young men should be willing to do this. I'm fairly positive alot of elderly or handicapped would love this service if available. Can't remember which port offered a trolley pulled by a tractor but it was a God send to me. Let's get it done as many of us just stay on the boat.

Key West is part of the USA and should not be used as a bench mark for what other non-USA ports of call should provide in services. BTW the only trolly service I've ever experience in my 40 years of cruising have been in Key West and Boston ... again in the USA.

As far as the cruise lines providing such a service at each port unfrotunately it's not going to happen any time soon. All cruise lines have a "fit to travel" clause in its contract. Therefore if a passenger is unable to walk the distance and or unwilling to bring/rent the necessary mobility equipment so they can get off the ship at each port than it's not the responsibility of the cruise line. The only cruise that probably does provide such assistance on a regular basis is the NCL Pride of American which is registered to the USA, sails under the USA Flag, permanently based in the USA and is subject to ADA.

The rare occasion that I have seen such entrepreneurial spirt by a local at a port of call the cruise passengers that I observed complained about paying a fee or tipping for such service.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Why is it the cruise line's responsibility? They already make a lot of accommodation to handicapped passengers, including accessible cabins and nearly the whole ship being accessible. I travelled on Oasis of the Seas and only found 2 places I couldn't get to. Also, if they can't walk to shore, how on earth are they getting around the ship? My DH usually pushes me in my manual wheelchair, but we rented a scooter for me so he didn't have to spend all his time and energy pushing me around and could enjoy the cruise too. (Including getting to shore, which I couldn't have walked even a fraction of the way.) Plus, if they couldn't walk to "shore" (by which I presume you mean the end of the dock), they probably aren't going to be able to walk anywhere else either.

There are lots of ways for people with mobility issues to enjoy ports (other than tender ports, which are a whole 'nother story). But it is our responsibility to research and make the necessary arrangements.

• 1 month later...

Cozumel has rick-shaws for hire to get from the ship to the plaza of shops. Beyond that you are on your own. We had 2 scooters and had no problems. We even got a shuttle that took both scooters at once to Paradise Beach. It was only a 15-20 minute wait for that shuttle.

Key West also had trolleys that would acommodate both scooters.

I just remembered at St Maarten they had electric golf carts to take you from the ships to the tenders. It cost us $1 each person each way. Some of the carts held 6 or 8 people. These are all independent of the cruise lines. So I suppose the cruise lines are co-operating.

I was just in Key West last week and did not see anyone to transport people the 100-150 feet to where the shops are. Everything in KW is so close.

• 3 weeks later...

I would gladly pay a tip or small fee to have something to transport my DH. His walking is very limited so he uses a scooter on the ship. But to get off the ship, down the pier and to a taxi/shuttle/bus - the only way at most ports is to use this scooter. And then, the scooter won't fit in the various modes of transportation. We used to take a smaller wheelchair which could fold up, but I managed to have a awful break in my wrist some months ago - and not sure my doctor will EVER allow me to push a wheelchair

Any suggestions?

I would gladly pay a tip or small fee to have something to transport my DH. His walking is very limited so he uses a scooter on the ship. But to get off the ship, down the pier and to a taxi/shuttle/bus - the only way at most ports is to use this scooter. And then, the scooter won't fit in the various modes of transportation. We used to take a smaller wheelchair which could fold up, but I managed to have a awful break in my wrist some months ago - and not sure my doctor will EVER allow me to push a wheelchair

Any suggestions?

When I was facing a similar long walk to the tour busses, the Hotel Manager suggested I ride the scooter to the bus, and a steward would go along with me. The steward would then ride the scooter back to the ship, and they would store it until I returned. Brilliant!

I've used that method every cruise since when the walk would be too long for me.

The only problem with this was upon return, I had a hard time getting back down the pier (I was alone). Sometimes I have been lucky, and someone offered to have the steward drive my scooter back, or I've managed to get a ride down the pier. Other times I have had to walk, resting where possible.

Since you would be with your DH, it may be possible to get him seated, then you could go and get help with the scooter.

Look for tours using a vehicle with a scooter lift. They can be hard to find but you might be surprised at how many places there is a tour operator with one.

Also, you might consider posting on your cruise roll call that you are looking for help. Not everyone cruising has buckets of money. ;) Maybe someone on a tight budget would be willing to push your husband to the shuttle for a few bucks, if you can bring the wheelchair along.

• 3 months later...

It's a security issue from ship to gates! I agree I cruised with 2 parents who had to have scooters in order to do Cozumel! We used Black Hat Tours in Cozumel that was able to get the 2 scooters in the way back of the van. Little did we know I was walking with a really bad hip. Neither one could've of walked that pier length in the brutal heat and humidity in March!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Key West is part of the USA and should not be used as a bench mark for what other non-USA ports of call should provide in services. BTW the only trolly service I've ever experience in my 40 years of cruising have been in Key West and Boston ... again in the USA.

As far as the cruise lines providing such a service at each port unfrotunately it's not going to happen any time soon. All cruise lines have a "fit to travel" clause in its contract. Therefore if a passenger is unable to walk the distance and or unwilling to bring/rent the necessary mobility equipment so they can get off the ship at each port than it's not the responsibility of the cruise line. The only cruise that probably does provide such assistance on a regular basis is the NCL Pride of American which is registered to the USA, sails under the USA Flag, permanently based in the USA and is subject to ADA.

The rare occasion that I have seen such entrepreneurial spirt by a local at a port of call the cruise passengers that I observed complained about paying a fee or tipping for such service.

This is the cold, hard truth about accessibility on foreign flag cruise ships. While ships that call at US ports must provide accessible cabins, and for the most part accessible public spaces, and cannot discriminate against the disabled, they are not bound by the ADA in their internal policies and procedures, as stated in the ruling by the SCOTUS in Spector v. NCL.

Until the lack of accessible transportation at the docks of various ports of call starts to affect their bottom line, the cruise lines are not going to consider this at all.

Point of clarification: The buses/trolley in Key West provided at the Outer Mole are not a standard form of courtesy transportation, they are mandatory in order to restrict cruisers from wandering around on a military facility. No one is allowed to go from that dock anyplace on their own.

As far as the long walks, unfortunately, too many tend to expect “complimentary” service; regardless of the fact that most of us would be very willing to pay a nominal fee. Do not give up, maybe some day things will be easier.