My opinion on Princess for solos

elycelynne

I just disembarked the Royal Princess yesterday, and I have to say that they don't make too much of an effort as far as solo people go. They had a solo get-together (or however they worded it) either the first or second night, and that was the last I saw of it. The turnout must not have been too good. Not that I necessarily would have gone any subsequent times, but it would have been nice to offer it more than once. Also, I didn't see any kind of special singles or solos lunch being offered in the dining room on sea days.

The one thing that left me with a bit of a bad taste was that I was left to hunt for a team to join for the various trivia events (regular or name that tune). I don't know how other lines handle this, but I know that on Holland America the staff member running the event will make an announcement that a lone person is looking for a team. Not the case here. I had to go up to different teams and ask if they could use another member.

I still had a nice time on my cruise, but I don't know that I would recommend Princess for a solo that doesn't feel comfortable doing this. I had a bit of a hard time, but I wanted to participate in trivia so I bit the bullet.

I'm not necessarily saying that I wouldn't go on Princess again, but I will at least know what to expect for the next time. And on the plus side, there's always the fact that Princess gives double cruise credits to solo cruisers.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll make a note of it for future reference.

The one thing that left me with a bit of a bad taste was that I was left to hunt for a team to join for the various trivia events (regular or name that tune). I don't know how other lines handle this, but I know that on Holland America the staff member running the event will make an announcement that a lone person is looking for a team. Not the case here. I had to go up to different teams and ask if they could use another member.

I've done a few trivia events on Carnival solo and never had a problem doing so. One time I was asked by a group if I wanted to participate in trivia with them. The categories weren't my best, so I agreed. That was an interesting experience. I've never actively looked for a group to join and I've never heard any announcements for groups looking for singletons.

Thanks for posting this. I've done three Princess cruises, always with groups but next year I'm going solo on the Regal. The double points is great - it's why I made Platinum so quickly.

One of my Princess cruises had a solo gathering nearly every day but from your review, I'll know not to expect it on the Regal. My main worry will, as usual, be dinner. On my last solo cruises, on RC and Carnival, I had terrible tablemates - they just ignored me. I've never done what people on this board suggest, request a new table, but if I get another dud table, I will. How was your dinner experience?

Thanks for posting this. I've done three Princess cruises, always with groups but next year I'm going solo on the Regal. The double points is great - it's why I made Platinum so quickly.

One of my Princess cruises had a solo gathering nearly every day but from your review, I'll know not to expect it on the Regal. My main worry will, as usual, be dinner. On my last solo cruises, on RC and Carnival, I had terrible tablemates - they just ignored me. I've never done what people on this board suggest, request a new table, but if I get another dud table, I will. How was your dinner experience?

I had requested a table for 6 for fixed dining. I ended up being the 7th person at a table with 3 random (as in not traveling together) slightly older married couples. They were nice enough people, although I didn't really have much in common with them. They certainly didn't merit switching tables, but I would have certainly done so if I had been put in a worse situation.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll make a note of it for future reference.

I've done a few trivia events on Carnival solo and never had a problem doing so. One time I was asked by a group if I wanted to participate in trivia with them. The categories weren't my best, so I agreed. That was an interesting experience. I've never actively looked for a group to join and I've never heard any announcements for groups looking for singletons.

I wasn't particularly referring to groups looking for singletons; however, very often in the past the person running the trivia would just make a general announcement to the effect of "We have a single person here looking to join a team in case anyone would like another member".

Did you find you were treated any worse than those in pairs (at the bars or dining room, for instance). I don't want any assistance to socialize or other special treatment for solos, but I do want to know that I won't be treated worse for being solo. I've been in some situations where solos were overlooked while couples were being served, for instance (especially female solos).

I'm afraid my current favourite line (Crystal) won't be so solo-friendly in the future, so I'm looking for a "plan B" cruise line.

Did you find you were treated any worse than those in pairs (at the bars or dining room, for instance). I don't want any assistance to socialize or other special treatment for solos, but I do want to know that I won't be treated worse for being solo. I've been in some situations where solos were overlooked while couples were being served, for instance (especially female solos).

I'm afraid my current favourite line (Crystal) won't be so solo-friendly in the future, so I'm looking for a "plan B" cruise line.

No, I didn't experience any inferior treatment because of my solo status. Could you elaborate on Crystal's future not so solo-friendly situation? I had hoped to experience a cruise with them one day, but not if they're going to make it harder for me to do so.

Their on-board experience is terrific, but with the new ownership and great expansion plans, I am afraid the costs for solos will rise dramatically. Currently, the supplement for window cabins is about 30%, so even though they are more expensive, they offer a fabulous product for not much more than paying a 100% supplement on other lines. But I'm afraid that might not be the case for too much longer. Currently I have a 2017 and a 2018 cruise booked with them.

They are a great cruise experience, but they might soon be priced out of my reach.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situations on your cruise. Based on postings over the past year or so, this seems to be a reoccurring situation for certain solos.

It seems that solos who have a desire to socialize and eat dinner together nightly are ignored by all the mass market lines except for NCL. In many cases, they put a notification in the daily paper but don't assign a host or coordinator. These lines tend to work better for solos who prefer to eat and hangout alone.

I wasn't particularly referring to groups looking for singletons; however, very often in the past the person running the trivia would just make a general announcement to the effect of "We have a single person here looking to join a team in case anyone would like another member".

I think I misinterpreted your past experience, and I apologize. I must say that in my limited experiences with Carnival trivia, they've never made an announcement like you mentioned above.

I think I misinterpreted your past experience, and I apologize. I must say that in my limited experiences with Carnival trivia, they've never made an announcement like you mentioned above.

Maybe Holland America is the exception rather than the rule. I guess my expectations were too high.

I have also recently disembarked Princess as a solo. Anytime dining was not a good experience. Once a table for 2, once a nice table of 8, and then seated by myself in the middle of the dining room at a table for 8. The waiter didn't want to serve me and said I should move. I finally got the maitre d attention and asked to be moved- to a table for 2. After that buffet 3 nights and specialty one night.

Next time, even if assigned dining is full (as it was on this trip), I will go to maitre D immediately upon boarding and ask for assigned dining.

It really was not a pleasant experience most of the time

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems that solos who have a desire to socialize and eat dinner together nightly are ignored by all the mass market lines except for NCL. In many cases, they put a notification in the daily paper but don't assign a host or coordinator. These lines tend to work better for solos who prefer to eat and hangout alone.

It's kind of interesting that you say this, because I have heard some solo travelers say they avoid NCL because the assumption on that line is that people are not really looking to share a table with others -- most want to dine just with their own group.

I wouldn't want to be limited to having to meet with a group of solos every evening and then traipse to the dining room together. I prefer to simply show up and ask to share a table -- doesn't matter to me if they are solos, couples, or a group as long as they are interesting dinner companions.

I have also recently disembarked Princess as a solo. Anytime dining was not a good experience. Once a table for 2, once a nice table of 8, and then seated by myself in the middle of the dining room at a table for 8. The waiter didn't want to serve me and said I should move. I finally got the maitre d attention and asked to be moved- to a table for 2. After that buffet 3 nights and specialty one night.

Next time, even if assigned dining is full (as it was on this trip), I will go to maitre D immediately upon boarding and ask for assigned dining.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm on a 15 day Princess cruise to Hawaii in April and have Anytime Dining. Were you asked when you arrived at the dining room if you were willing to share a table?

It's kind of interesting that you say this, because I have heard some solo travelers say they avoid NCL because the assumption on that line is that people are not really looking to share a table with others -- most want to dine just with their own group.

I wouldn't want to be limited to having to meet with a group of solos every evening and then traipse to the dining room together. I prefer to simply show up and ask to share a table -- doesn't matter to me if they are solos, couples, or a group as long as they are interesting dinner companions.

Are you serious? Why would anyone think that a solo passenger is required to dine with a solo group? Just to clear up the myth, solos can eat all their meals alone or with whomever they please.

Are you serious? Why would anyone think that a solo passenger is required to dine with a solo group? Just to clear up the myth, solos can eat all their meals alone or with whomever they please.

No, they really can't eat with whomever they choose, and not always in the sized group they choose. Ultimately it's at the discretion of the Maitre D'. You make it sound like a solo traveler can choose empty seat they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not that I've sailed on NCL, but I've heard that their ads would stress that you don't have to share a table with strangers if you don't want to (and apparently a lot of people don't want to). So if someone is truly solo and doesn't want to eat by themselves, it appears that joining the solo group is their only other option.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm on a 15 day Princess cruise to Hawaii in April and have Anytime Dining. Were you asked when you arrived at the dining room if you were willing to share a table?

Yes, I was asked if I wanted to share and I did. When I was seated at the big table by myself and then moved about 10 minutes later I told the maitre D I would go eat in the buffet. I was told not many people wanted to share.

The first night I went to the dining room I lined up at 5:20, got to the door and was handed a pager, I asked but apparently no table had room to add 1 person. It turned out on this cruise people lined up at 4:30 every night for 5:30 dining!

I don't think you understood what I am saying at all.

There have been quite a few reports that solos who go to the dining room and state their preference to share a table are told that they cannot seat them with others because most others do not want to share. So the solo is stuck dining alone (not my preference), eating elsewhere such as at the buffet (not my preference) or having to eat with a large group of other solos at a specific time.

The first night I went to the dining room I lined up at 5:20, got to the door and was handed a pager, I asked but apparently no table had room to add 1 person. It turned out on this cruise people lined up at 4:30 every night for 5:30 dining!Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, my! Lining up at 4:30 p.m. for dinner?! Too early for me! I'd enjoy sharing a table with others at dinner for conversation, but I'll plan that I'll probably be at a table for two most evenings. Thank you for the information.

I don't think you understood what I am saying at all.

There have been quite a few reports that solos who go to the dining room and state their preference to share a table are told that they cannot seat them with others because most others do not want to share. So the solo is stuck dining alone (not my preference), eating elsewhere such as at the buffet (not my preference) or having to eat with a large group of other solos at a specific time.

Well I can only share my experience. I normally do not sail on cruises that are less then 10 days in length. Last year, I was on 4 NCL cruises totaling 54 days and I just last week, I came back from a 10 day Gem cruise.

I eat breakfast in the main dining room only. I prefer to be served and it is the only place where lox/smoked salmon is available. If I am in a relative hurry, I ask for a table of two to eat solo. Other times, I ask to share. Sometimes I am added to an existing table and a few other times, I am the first person starting a share table.

For dinner, I have no interest in dining alone. I find it absolutely boring because I think dinner should be an experience. That is just a personal preference and opinion. We are all different. Now, I have cruised 8 times so far as a solo even though I just completed my 36th cruise. I have had great success with the solo program and host. I would not like to go to dinner at night not knowing if I would have dinner mates. Showing up for dinner and asking to share would not work for me. I find that a crap shoot, so to speak. Just as an example on how things work on my last cruise. I ate dinner 3 nights in specialty restaurants with another solo since we were both Platinum members. The other nights, I ate with the solo group at a table of 6. The host ate dinner with us 3 nights.

Personally, I find this the most rewarding when it comes to breakfast and dinner. Many other solos prefer a different set up and they should go with what they want.

One more thing, someone on the previous page in reply to my post mentioned the term "truly a solo." I really don't understand that because solos can be: single, divorced, widowed, married but traveling alone, those that prefer to mingle and then those that prefer more alone time.

Edited by IrieBajan54
to add final paragraph

Well I can only share my experience. I normally do not sail on cruises that are less then 10 days in length. Last year, I was on 4 NCL cruises totaling 54 days and I just last week, I came back from a 10 day Gem cruise.

I eat breakfast in the main dining room only. I prefer to be served and it is the only place where lox/smoked salmon is available. If I am in a relative hurry, I ask for a table of two to eat solo. Other times, I ask to share. Sometimes I am added to an existing table and a few other times, I am the first person starting a share table.

For dinner, I have no interest in dining alone. I find it absolutely boring because I think dinner should be an experience. That is just a personal preference and opinion. We are all different. Now, I have cruised 8 times so far as a solo even though I just completed my 36th cruise. I have had great success with the solo program and host. I would not like to go to dinner at night not knowing if I would have dinner mates. Showing up for dinner and asking to share would not work for me. I find that a crap shoot, so to speak. Just as an example on how things work on my last cruise. I ate dinner 3 nights in specialty restaurants with another solo since we were both Platinum members. The other nights, I ate with the solo group at a table of 6. The host ate dinner with us 3 nights.

Personally, I find this the most rewarding when it comes to breakfast and dinner. Many other solos prefer a different set up and they should go with what they want.

One more thing, someone on the previous page in reply to my post mentioned the term "truly a solo." I really don't understand that because solos can be: single, divorced, widowed, married but traveling alone, those that prefer to mingle and then those that prefer more alone time.

That was me. All that I meant by that was someone who was truly traveling alone and didn't know a soul before they boarded the ship, as opposed to someone who, for example, had a cabin to themselves but might have been traveling with someone else or with a group. I'm fully aware of what constitutes a solo cruiser and that it's not limited by marital status or social preference.

Granted, my awful solo Princess cruise was several years ago but in reading this thread nothing much seems to have changed. Dining was the worst part of it. On one evening when I was seated at a table with several couples traveling together they had a fit and called over the Maitre December and complained, he just rolled his eyes and stated, "he had to sit it somewhere"! I love enjoying a nice dinner and every night was a chore on that cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
I've cruised solo only on Crystal. I had wanted to cruise Princess by myself but, I might have to rethink that. How is HAL for solo cruisers?

Lisa

I did my first solo cruise last summer on a 12 day HAL Mediterranean cruise. I did Anytime dining every night and upon arrival at the dining room, I asked to be seated with others at a large dining room table. A couple of nights, there were a couple of other solos at my table. One night I was seated at a table of 4, with 3 people from one family. Otherwise I was seated at a table for usually 8, and sometimes 10 people. Usually it was with couples not traveling together and once with 3 couples who were traveling together, but in all cases, the people were friendly. But then again, I'm the type of person who can strike up a conversation with anyone almost anywhere. Just ask my husband!