Grand Cayman Diving weird port hours ?recomendations?

Shattered__minds

Heading to Grand Cayman in early Feb 2018. in port from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. this doesn't seem like a good timeline to get in a 2 tank dive. That is why I am asking so early out. if this time in port doesn't jive with the shops we may need to look at other cruise options. So anyone have any recommendations for shops that would take me out for a 2 tank in this time frame? I would rather reschedule the cruise then be forced to go on a ship excursion to dive.

Thanks in advance!

We dove with Cayman Turtle Divers two weeks ago and found them to be vary accommodating with our port time and they pick up and take you back to the pier. You shouldn't have any problem with your times and, actually, I think those are great port times because it seems like there are many operators that want to be out before the ship even arrives. We had a very positive experience with them - nice boat, great dive master, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your arrival and departure times should be no problem for a morning two tank dive. We did a two tank dive there a few weeks ago and back on the ship before 1:00. If your concerned book the ship`s dive excursion if it`s not sold out for extra piece of mind.

Thanks Robin I just sent them an email!

I tried to book with another opp (living the dream divers) and they said the ship schedule didn't work with their on island schedule. I didn't want to waste time emailing a bunch of shops if the timing was going to be bad.

Hopefully its a go with Turtle. They have good trip advisor reviews too.

consider also doing shore dives at Eden Rock and/or Sunset House .... no need to worry about a fixed schedule or make advanced rezzies. Both places are walking distance and have fully equipped dive shops ready to rent anything you need and give you a site orientation.

Thanks Robin I just sent them an email!

I tried to book with another opp (living the dream divers) and they said the ship schedule didn't work with their on island schedule. I didn't want to waste time emailing a bunch of shops if the timing was going to be bad.

Hopefully its a go with Turtle. They have good trip advisor reviews too.

Because of our port time we met them at 8:30 and we were on the beach relaxing by 1:30. If I recall, their afternoon dives start at 1 or 1:30 so you will definitely be done in time. Also depending on what others in your party are doing, we were able to meet up with our group on the Public Beach (across the street from their shop) while they rinsed our gear and then we picked it up at their shop and arranged for our own taxi back to the ship. They were very accommodating with our schedule but could only get us back to the ship if we went directly back after the dive; no problem for us because we wanted some beach time and it was nice that they rinsed our gear for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Heading to Grand Cayman in early Feb 2018. in port from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. this doesn't seem like a good timeline to get in a 2 tank dive. That is why I am asking so early out. if this time in port doesn't jive with the shops we may need to look at other cruise options. So anyone have any recommendations for shops that would take me out for a 2 tank in this time frame? I would rather reschedule the cruise then be forced to go on a ship excursion to dive.

Thanks in advance!

I also thought that this would be enough time for a 2 tank dive. When I was in GC that time I had friends wanting to do something different afternoon so I did a shore dive with Dan Foster's. The place was great, the divemaster was nice, but the reef outside their shop was dead! I would use Foster's again for a boat dive.

gettingreadytodive.jpg

That is plenty of time to get in two tank dives. Grand Cayman reefs are very close to shore, and not a great distance from the cruise port. Most of the dive ops will stay in that area rather than venture to distant reefs.

I would certainly agree that Eden Rock would be a great option for quick shore dives off a cruise ship, as it's a very short walk from the tender dock. Unfortunately, its reef was wrecked in December by a wayward cargo ship, and the damage sounds pretty bad.

Was just at Eden Rock last week, the diving was pretty good though not having dived there before I have nothing to compare it to. Was unaware of any damage to the reef.

I first read about it in a dive magazine, but it's all over the web. The incident happened on November 25, 2016

https://www.caymancompass.com/2016/12/04/ship-owner-to-pay-for-eden-rock-restoration/

There's a Youtube video showing the damage. The guy who posted it wrote: The 100 meter, 2936 tonne cargo ship ‘Saga’ struck the Eden Rock reef in the early hours of Friday, 25 November 2016. I have freedived this reef maybe 200 times in the past 3+ years, so I know it well. The damage is other-wordly. Most of it I didn't recognize.

Shattered Minds, what cruise are you on? We are on the Rhapsody of the Seas leaving from Tampa on Feb 11. Our first port is Grand Cayman on Tue. Feb 13. We plan to scuba dive and I think our arrival time is good for a 2 tank dive. I am in the process of contacting some private dive operators for that day. Our next port is Cozumel next and I am hoping to dive there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathi, we are on the ROTS as well but leaving 1/28/18. I booked with Turtle for GC and am going back to dive with Cozumel H2O. I went out with them this year on a private dive and it was the 2nd best dive I have been on definitely worth the extra money. We passed tons of boats that had tons of divers. it was just me and my guide on ours. In fact it was so good were going back in October out of Mobile to dive Coz again :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Eden Rock dive shop is a great alternative. Two sites, Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto. If u have a divebuddy, you're on your own there. At $12.50 a tank, the two sites are easy to navigate and lots of marine life. At 15-40 foot depth, you can easily do 1+ hour dives. You should be able to do 2, possibly 3 tanks and return to ship is 20-30 minute stroll.