An Overpackers Victory!

Hello everyone! I am a known overpacker and often come home with many unworn items. I left last week for a 5 night to the Bahamas on the Carnival Ecstasy with 2 packed to the gills bags. Both are hard sided, one 18 inch and one 22 inch. I also roll my clothes and use packing cubes.

I wore everything I took except the "emergency underwear stash".

I could have even used a few more things. I am 43 and my friend is 21 and wanted to wear one thing to dinner then dress differently for the nightclub. I did wear several things twice as I had tops to match skirts for dinner and then capris/shorts during the day.

It was a fun cruise overall and now I must go catch up on laundry. Sigh. . . Maybe that is the down side to wearing everything I took.

I always over pack. Be it a cruise or a week of camping in our tent. Mind you everyone that makes fun of me comes to ME at some point to see if i have what they forgot!😂 It's no big deal to me. I like to have choices. We fly southwest so we don't worry about the bags charge. And we ALWAYS have fun!!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! I feel your pain, I "overpack" but I usually do not take a lot of luggage just a lot of stuff...and I too am the go to when people forget things.

One technique that works very well for me is to write down EVERYTHING I want to take...plan for each day, look over the list make changes...until I'm satisfied. Then begin packing...documenting what is which storage bag im putting it in and check each thing off the list.

(When I say everything I mean anything that goes into my suitcase...Bobby pins, tape, twist ties, soap)

When I'm finished I feel confident that I don't need that....one more thing or that just in case..last minute thing I shove on at the last minute, because with my little list I have accounted for everything. That's when end up carrying too much stuff at the last minute I think...oh...I may need an extra blouse or another necklace.

Plus (this is generally my problem) I have so much stuff that looks similar i.e. black tops...I can't find it when I want to wear it. But because my list is labeled I know exactly which bag to look in.

But I am certainly proud of you, it is such a good feeling knowing you carried just enough..not too much and not too little:D

tmee

My trick is this: I hang everything on a collapsible clothes rack about a month ahead of time. I choose a neutral or one colour palette. This is Round 1. I put out everything I like.

Round 2 & 3: Every week I look through everything again, and weed out a few items that I think I probably won't wear.

Round 4: Try everything on. Leave anything behind that "just fits" or is snug because during a long trip, trust me, it won't fit - especially during warm weather cruises.

Stick with neutral shoes (black, beige, white, metallic) and if you're not used to wearing stilettos, don't pack them!

Also to keep in mind, no matter the destination, the temperature on the ship is usually constant. Just because it's hot as heck tide doesn't mean you don't need a wrap, sweater or shrug inside.

I know that there is laundering available on most ships, but keep in mind they don't wash them like at home. It's all about hot water and high heat drying on the ships. Most things come back "shrunk" and definitely not ironed. I'm ok with underwear, socks and jeans, but as for the rest I wait until I get home. Better to have more than not enough. I take my limit (if flying) and sometimes pay the extra $25 for an extra bag. If I don't have to fly, I'll even take the kitchen sink LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have our first b2b next month. Just did my first prepack. Medium suitcase is at 44 lbs & small is at 35 lbs. I'm allowed 50lbs in each [emoji16]. I tend to spill, so extra tops are a must. I've also just had major foot surgery again so I may only need shoe(s) for one foot [emoji22], hey I can bring more! Marie, I love your style, I just couldn't handle that many suitcases

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying my best not to Over Pack! I have never been on a Cruise. My family of three are trying to fit everything into 2 large bags (will check on our air travel) and our carry-on bags. I have less than 4 weeks before travel day but have had our guest room bed as a staging area for over a month now. I have gone through my piles 2 times. The first was everything I might want to take. Then I tried everything on and removed things that don't fit or look old and tired. Also, make a pile of maybes. Then I went shopping. Second time through the piles, added the new clothes and removed things that I replaced with new clothing. Now, I am down to less that I need. This weekend I will be trying everything on again, including the maybe pile. My last online shopping spree will arrive this week. Including new shoes. I have limited my shoes to packing four pairs and wearing one pair. My Son (11yo) is packed and easy. My husband, OMG, help me. He could either pack what he needs, or pack to fill space and end up not wearing half of the things he packs. So, I told him he has to decide by the Monday before we leave. That way I can pack, unpack, adjust and then see if we need to remove or add. I also have a list written out of what we must bring. Our carry-on bags will be full with at least two change of clothes and one dinner outfit (so if our bags don't arrive with us we aren't without). I also, don't want to unpack the two large bags as we arrive at our Port the day before we embark. I'm really trying my best!! This weekend will be a good indicator if I am over packed. LOL!!!

Definitely to each his/her own :) I have no problem with someone who likes to take a lot of stuff, just please don't as me to carry it up 3 flights of stairs for you at a train station in Europe lol

The thing that amazes me, is the sheer amount of clothing & shoes people own, if I packed every single pair of shoes I own, & all of my clothes, I could fit maybe one 26" suitcase & maybe a carry on... nice thing is that I actually have empty closets at home. :)

I sometimes think I have the opposite of a hoarding disorder, I'm a bit of a minimalist at heart I guess.