Bringing Medications

bdcbbq

I've read about bringing your labeled prescription bottle along while traveling. I"ve been on one cruise 15 years ago and just took along a couple of weekly medication holders. And never gave this much thought or did it. I've been taking 10-13 medications for years. Plus diabetic supplies which are less of a problem.

All of my medications come in 90-day supplies in much larger bottles than a 30 day supply. I don't want to drag 13 labeled bottles of prescriptions with me while flying in a carry-on bag, or leave in a hotel room, etc. But I also don't want to get hung by the TSA or...either.

This trip is longer than I normally take and I'm taking opiates now. I'm trying to figure out how to sort my daily medications pre-trip and have some medical documentation that they are prescribed for me.

I've thought of making a list of all the necessary medications, dosages, prescriber, etc. to have with me. Should I have my PCP sign the sheet or make a note on it. Or each doctor sign and initial their med. Write out a new prescription. Transfer labels to smaller bottles? Have 30-day prescriptions written and filled?

I keep an updated current and past medical history, medication list, doctors, preferred pharmacy, insurance information, DPA, DNR, and HCR. as well as emergency contacts, etc. in an electronic file stored on my smartphone, in an email folder, and a medical emergency app.

This is a bucket list cruise and most likely the last one. I searched here and a couple of other boards and didn't find any suggestions.

Thanks.

If you have the time before you leave, I suggest you do what we've done ourselves.

Ask your pharmacist to prepare small containers for your travel quantities (plus 7 or 8 extras in each as a contingency cover) with original pharmacy labels for each medication. For your opioids also carry a photocopy of the doctor's prescription.

We always carry our meds in our carry-on luggage and have never been "stopped" or questioned, but you never know when the first time will come.

Walt,

Great idea to ask the pharmacist to split the prescription into two bottles ... one for travel!

To the OP:

We take our meds in small plastic bags pill bags. My husband prepares a bag for each day. I put the entire travel need for each of my meds in its own bag.

We do a lot of travel and our meds have never been examined.

That said, it doesn't hurt to be prepared and have each pill in its own container, especially the opiate. The suggestion to have a copy of the opiate prescription is excellent.

Walt,

Great idea to ask the pharmacist to split the prescription into two bottles ... one for travel!

To the OP:

We take our meds in small plastic bags pill bags. My husband prepares a bag for each day. I put the entire travel need for each of my meds in its own bag.

We do a lot of travel and our meds have never been examined.

That said, it doesn't hurt to be prepared and have each pill in its own container, especially the opiate. The suggestion to have a copy of the opiate prescription is excellent.

We recently acquired this system and I think it will be a big help, since those pill organizer trays take up so much packing space:

https://www.thegrommet.com/pillsuite-personal-pill-pack-system

Could be really handy, especially for a longer cruise!

Donna

Which ports/countries will you be visiting?

Your bigger problem isn't likely to be TSA; they care about safety of the planes, etc.

But especially with the controlled substances (BUT ALSO sometimes with OTC meds), there may be advance approvals needed, or some may be entirely illegal at all times.

Which ports/countries will you be visiting?

Your bigger problem isn't likely to be TSA; they care about safety of the planes, etc.

But especially with the controlled substances (BUT ALSO sometimes with OTC meds), there may be advance approvals needed, or some may be entirely illegal at all times.

7 day R/T Seatte/Alaska with the obligatory Canada stop. I have no clue whether we will debark in Canada. With time spent in Seattle pre and post cruise.

I usually get extra attention since I have a shoulder replacement and my passport photo makes me look like Cyrus the Virus from Con Air.:D

I'm hoping I don't need the narcotics by the cruise. Having had 5 surgeries in 3 years and tapering off 3x only having to restart a couple of months later for different reasons I'm not exactly optimistic yet. I will know more in a month.

I like the weekly planner. The space taken up would be well worth it vs. the time to uncap medication bottles 2x a day.

I have never had any problems flying in the US with my meds in a weekly/monthly (depending on the length of the trip) holder. I also have had no problems flying into and out of Europe. The one time I flew with a prescription for a narcotic pain reliever I left it in the container but it was not checked in anyway.

However flying to Australia is different and all my medications were checked. I had read this would happen so left them in the bottles and put them into the holder after we arrived.

I have never had any problems flying in the US with my meds in a weekly/monthly (depending on the length of the trip) holder. I also have had no problems flying into and out of Europe. The one time I flew with a prescription for a narcotic pain reliever I left it in the container but it was not checked in anyway.

However flying to Australia is different and all my medications were checked. I had read this would happen so left them in the bottles and put them into the holder after we arrived.

Same thing within the USA, and even to a few countries in Europe.

On one occasion, shortly after surgery, I was traveling with what seemed like a little pharmacy in my carry on. Sure enough, *that* was the time TSA pulled me over and wanted to rifle through everything. I bid DH adieu :( as I requested a private screening. Two very polite and professional TSA female agents joined me in a little room, and... out came ALL of the meds, and I was just waiting.... but.... they seemingly couldn't have been less interested in those. I'll never know what they thought they *were* interested in, as they scoured the inside of the carryon like I've never seen. Then they both stood politely by as I tried to put things back in quickly but not totally a mess.

It never happened again.

But we are going to Japan in a couple of months, and they required advance *permission* for some meds, and one isn't allowed at all (even though it's OTC here) unless it's reformulated in a particular way. We'll probably have a compounding pharmacy do that for us, and hope for the best. It's not the most critical of our meds, fortunately, as there's nothing else that works as well.

But we always do what Host Walt described: Ask the pharmacy for newly labeled containers of the absolutely smallest size that will hold the required amount (plus extras in case of delay, of course) for each Rx. Often, that's too big, too, but at least each is on the small side.

Traveled the world extensively and lived for years in Saudi Arabia never had my 7 day med containers checked. Have a photo of each original container on the phone if ever needed. There is no one at the airports who can tell what is actually in a prescription bottle. You could put anything in any bottle. They don't usually have copies of the PDR on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Traveled the world extensively and lived for years in Saudi Arabia never had my 7 day med containers checked. Have a photo of each original container on the phone if ever needed. There is no one at the airports who can tell what is actually in a prescription bottle. You could put anything in any bottle. They don't usually have copies of the PDR on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

True

Also when DD was attending school in Rome we'd condense her Med bottles, sometimes 60 into a bottle labeled 30. Never had an issue.

I have my meds blister packed in bubble packs and that helps for traveling. I also get my pharmacy to pack meds in smaller containers specifically for travel. The folks at the pharmacy have always been very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my meds blister packed in bubble packs and that helps for traveling. I also get my pharmacy to pack meds in smaller containers specifically for travel. The folks at the pharmacy have always been very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've thought about this, partly for convenience even at home, but especially for travel.

Do your packs have 'proper' Rx labels?

That would be extremely handy.

We've also thought about a service that put's a day's worth (or morning or evening, etc.) in a labeled tiny ziploc type packet.

We already use the "smallest Rx container available" for most meds for travel, but that's still too big for some smaller tablets, and they don't pack well, of course.

Thanks.

Do your packs have 'proper' Rx labels?

That would be extremely handy.

Yes they are labeled identifying the meds and with their instructions. They used to use the same labels as the ones on the bottles. Now they have a more condensed list of everything. It still has all the information and is initialed by the pharmacist. I'm in Canada and I have traveled to the US, UK and Australia with the blister packs. I used to use them just for travel and it has become so difficult to manage all the different medications I have to take that I use the bubble packs all the time. Not only does it make managing everything so much easier I can also keep track of my medications and whether I have taken them or not.

• 2 weeks later...
7 day R/T Seatte/Alaska with the obligatory Canada stop. I have no clue whether we will debark in Canada. With time spent in Seattle pre and post cruise.

You'll be just fine. I carry my meds in a pill box and never had any issues or inspections whatsoever. During our Alaskan cruise last July, I had a few Oxycodone (narcotic) pills as I was just recovering from a gout attack and had no problems.

Enjoy your cruise!

You'll be just fine. I carry my meds in a pill box and never had any issues or inspections whatsoever. During our Alaskan cruise last July, I had a few Oxycodone (narcotic) pills as I was just recovering from a gout attack and had no problems.

Enjoy your cruise!

It's a good idea to ask the pharmacy to put enough pills for your travel into small, labelled bottles.

I've traveled to 60 different countries, including the UAE and Japan, and only been asked once about my medications. That was in Australia. Fortunately, I had my meds in their correct bottles, with the pharmacy labels on them and I also had a copy of the prescription. They were fine about that.

Even if you've never been stopped and asked about your medications, it's a wise idea to assume you might be, and to take reasonable precautions.

Unfortunately, this may be coming mute. Last May I had a liver resection to remove some tumors? During and post-surgery complications developed to the point I lost most of my stamina and strength. About 6 weeks post discharge I slowly developed a pain in my hip. I was getting better, but a few weeks later I was bed-ridden with what I thought was hip pain.I've had 3 nerve blocks and 3 months of physical therapy. Ended up with a neurosurgery consilt. NS said surgery is not an option,, in my case and maybe some PT in a pool might provide some relief. Also the cancer returned. Final payment is due a few days (April 18) before the PT evaluation. I doubt I can get any trip cancellation insurance because of pre-existing conditions. I'm good for about an hour or so light activity. Pain control isn't a problem. Dr. understands I'm at a quality of life state and basically chronic/terminal .

So I'm trying to decide whether to cancel and rebook at the last minute. Signature Suite guarantee on the Oosterdam is tough to gamble with.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm a little morose today.

I'm so sorry all this is piling on you when you just want to look forward to a lovely cruise. I wish I could say something encouraging to help you feel better. I will say, though, that pain control is definitely something to be grateful for!

Oh Bruce, I don't know you but I truly feel for you and your struggles. I have been there and finally won (3 times I appealed and on the 3rd time I succeeded when I had to battle the insurance company). I will keep you in my thoughts.

At I found out before patient was due April 18. I'm hoping to find an alternative cruise when I call the HAL Consultant on Monday. I hope to still be able to get Signature Suite. I originally booked a Veranda Suite.(yn)(yn)

I don't think I would regret a New England cruise. I would rather do a sightseeing drive from Philadelphia to Boston.

My HAL consultant is on vacation and won't be back until 4/10. Followed up w/another consultant who steered me to a wheelchair accessible room with the steel railings. While the original consutant , inyou situation thought I would be happier with clear rails. I'll be calling back Monday.

Imy getting so bummed about all of this I'm toying with the idea of canceling completely this year and hope next year is better.

It's a lot of money to spend for something you aren't sure you'll enjoy. But even if you cancel now, that doesn't eliminate cruising this year if the right combination of elements pop up in another cruise. Especially because it sounds like your normal consultant is good at suggesting cruises that suit you.

I travel with an EpiPen, which I HAVE been stopped for (both domestically and internationally). On advice of my pharmacist, I just carry the little sheet that comes attached to the envelope when you pick up at the pharmacy. I find that much easier than carrying original packing, in most cases.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-06%20at%205.58.33%20PM_zpsbbizasee.png