Thinking of Booking Solo

Delmol

Me and my (now ex) girlfriend were due to book a 2 week cruise on NCL Epic some time in June/July.

Sadly, we have since broken up and I'm debating whether to book it for myself or not.

Unfortunately none of my friends can afford to go, my parents aren't too keen on cruising (I've tried to convince them!) and my brother is also in a tight spot financially at the moment so he can't go either.

This leaves me with two options: Don't go on holiday this year, or book the trip as a solo cruise.

I went on my first cruise last year and really enjoyed myself, but this would be my first cruise solo.

I'm happy getting "stuck in" and meeting new people, taking part in different activities around the ship.

My main reservations are having extended period of having nobody to talk to or do activities with, as well as eating breakfast/lunch/dinner on my own.

For reference I'm 22 so I'm looking to mingle with a "young" crowd.

What are other peoples experiences cruising solo?

I have been cruising solo for almost 15 years (I am quite a bit older than you) but I love it:D.....wish I would have been

able to go at 22!

I would say go and have a great time:D

People are friendly everywhere I've been, but if the age is a big consideration for you, I'd suggest you pick a line and ports that tend to be on the younger side.

I'd look at Caribbean or Mexico, maybe Europe. Alaska is a bit older overall, but if you like nature it's a great place to kayak, hike, etc. and you'll get a younger group of people doing those kind of tours.

The more cost-conscious lines like Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian normally have a younger crowd. If you're set on 14 days, you also might get a younger crowd if you did two 7 day cruises back to back, since it's harder to get away for two weeks when you're in your 20s.

If you don't really care too much where you go, wait for a last-minute deal on Norwegian where they drop the supplement completely.

Go for it, I loved my solo on Epic. And while I did my long cruises on other cruise lines I also found interesting people to talk, and if you prefer to be alone take some books or an e-reader with you.

As for things to do on the ship, I was only on it for a week and still did not see all the restaurants, shows and features. Of-course the nightly Blues-Jam that I went to every night was maybe the problem.

may i suggest trying it once to see how you like solo cruising. You will be on a cruise with lots to do and beautiful scenery, how bad can it really be? I am going on cruise #11/12 in a few weeks and all have been solo except 2. Its pretty easy to meet people on a cruise. Every one i have been invited to dinner with others a few nites. Some i went, some i didn't but thats the luxury of solo - do what you want, when you want! I recommend NCL for the studio cabins. Cozy room for one person and not a double charge. If you still thinking of the epic, they have studio cabins!! Give it a try, you might love it. I love traveling solo. Its very relaxing. Good luck! NCL does a solo meet and greet each nite. Ages always vary but cant hurt to check it out one night and see if there is anyone your age. Also join your roll call on cruise critic and ask on their if anyone is around your age.

People are friendly everywhere I've been, but if the age is a big consideration for you, I'd suggest you pick a line and ports that tend to be on the younger side.

I'd look at Caribbean or Mexico, maybe Europe. Alaska is a bit older overall, but if you like nature it's a great place to kayak, hike, etc. and you'll get a younger group of people doing those kind of tours.

The more cost-conscious lines like Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian normally have a younger crowd. If you're set on 14 days, you also might get a younger crowd if you did two 7 day cruises back to back, since it's harder to get away for two weeks when you're in your 20s.

If you don't really care too much where you go, wait for a last-minute deal on Norwegian where they drop the supplement completely.

I'll be cruising round Europe, I don't have enough money to cruise round the Americas just yet - as this is my first solo holiday ever, I'd also feel a bit more comfortable closer to home just in case.

I think that's a good point with the shorter length, the last cruise I did was 12 days and that was quite varied age wise, but a lot more families on board.

As you say it might be worth taking a 7 day as I've heard they tend to attract a younger audience.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

may i suggest trying it once to see how you like solo cruising. You will be on a cruise with lots to do and beautiful scenery, how bad can it really be? I am going on cruise #11/12 in a few weeks and all have been solo except 2. Its pretty easy to meet people on a cruise. Every one i have been invited to dinner with others a few nites. Some i went, some i didn't but thats the luxury of solo - do what you want, when you want! I recommend NCL for the studio cabins. Cozy room for one person and not a double charge. If you still thinking of the epic, they have studio cabins!! Give it a try, you might love it. I love traveling solo. Its very relaxing. Good luck! NCL does a solo meet and greet each nite. Ages always vary but cant hurt to check it out one night and see if there is anyone your age. Also join your roll call on cruise critic and ask on their if anyone is around your age.

I've definitely been overthinking this whole thing!

Thinking back to my last cruise it was very easy to meet people and we did meet a group of people from USA about my age and we were always bumping into each other throughout.

I think I'll go for it, what have I got to lose?

Worst case: I get a nice tan and eat an awful lot of food :')

Go for it and enjoy it! I've been solo cruising (apart from a bit of marriage in the middle) for about 20 years and never have a problem! Always someone to chat to, the crew are fairly young so they'll be happy to engage with you and as you're on NCL they have the solo "suites" and access to their own solo lounge with meet & mingles and a chance to catch up with other like minded people. Friend of mine cruised solo on NCL and LOVED it, made friends straight off and had dinner on a couple of nights with them, and wandered ashore with them too.

Bon voyage and have a grrrreat time!

Karen