Scuba on Grand Turk: Oasis or another shop?

Pinache

Hi!

I am interested in diving on Grand Turk but have heard some concerning things about Oasis divers, whom I believe are who Carnival goes through. Has anyone dove with them in the last few years? How was it?

Apart from them, has anyone done any diving with private companies? How was it? How was getting to/from the dive shop? I emailed Blue Water Divers and they may not be doing excursions next winter they said. I would be traveling January 2018.

Thank you!

After our experience several years ago, and the fact that their negligence resulted in the death of a teenager shortly after our cruise, there is no way I ever would go with Oasis again. We had a long discussion on Scubaboard about this (and here) and there were a number of alarming statements from people who would know.

I`ve read some horrible reports regarding Oasis Dive shop in Grand Turk. I have used them (4) times on different cruises over the years since the port was first built and never had a single issue. I do bring all of my own gear and did notice theirs at times looked pretty ragged. They are one of the few cruise ship operators I`ve seen make you prove you can clear your mask and retrieve your regulator before being allowed to dive. Of course that easy to do when your diving from a pontoon boat pulled up on the beach. My personal experience was very good and have seen much worse dive operators when cruising.

They didn't require that of anyone when we dived with them. We were treated very rudely and it was clear that they didn't want us on the boat because both of us are professional divers. From the moment we met them on the dock they had an attitude with us and they segregated us from the rest of the divers on the boat. An overall horrible experience. They would have all new personnel now since the people who were working with Oasis at the time the Discover Scuba student drowned all fled the island to avoid prosecution. You couldn't pay me enough to dive with them.

I`m sorry you had a horrible experience with them and have no reason to doubt a single word. If I was you I would not go back either. I`m a master diver who started diving in 1972 while growing up in SE Florida. As a professional diver you are more than capable of taking care of yourself. I`m glad you were able to protect yourselves when encountering such bad service. I`m only relaying my personal experience the (4) times I dove with them over a 6 year period as the OP requested.