Excursion Help! - Society Islands and Tuamotus

MarLieb

The time to book our PG excursions is coming up soon and my head is spinning with all of the research I have been doing. I'm hoping I can get some help and feedback!

I will be traveling with my husband and 9-year old son. Based on our traveling style (stamina and interest level), I am looking for a combination of water activities (snorkeling, beach, no diving!), culture/history/arts activities and down time. I know we will not want to snorkel everyday, but I want to make sure we make the most out of the snorkeling and pick the best spots.

To put a slight kink in the planning, my son is enrolled in PG's kids' program and we won't get their activity and excursion schedule until we get on the ship. We are welcome to join him but we'll have no idea what they are doing until we get there. Another kink - on some islands I am considering doing private tours instead of PG excursions. I suppose on those days our son will just stick with us and not do the kids' program as I really don't know how we would time that out if he got back to the ship before us . . . did I say my head is spinning?!

So, here is what I have so far. Any and all suggestions are so appreciated!

4 days pre-cruise at Hilton Moorea (we weren't planning on scheduling any excursions or tours on these days as we feel we need the time to adjust, but if you think there is something we should do, please let me know!)

Huahine - I contacted Huahine Nautique about Marc's Combo Tour (if we do this, I think our son will just come with us instead of doing the kids' program)

Bora Bora (two days) - I contacted Maohi Tours to do the Lagoon/Snorkel/Lunch tour on day 1 and the 4X4 Safari on day 2.

Rangiroa - I have no clue. I've read the snorkeling is wonderful here. Should we snorkel again? Go to a beach? I'm also considering just waiting to see what's on the kids' schedule and going from there.

Fakarava - same as Rangiroa, no clue. Should we snorkel? Just wait for the kids' schedule?

Tah'a - I was just planning on going to PG's Motu this day.

Moorea (2 days) - PG's Ancient Treks excursion looked interesting. Lagoonarium gets good reviews on tripadvisor, but sounds very man-made? Any help with Moorea is appreciated.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you may have!!

Fakarava I would suggest the Blue Lagoon either with Ato Lissant at Fakarava Explorer or the ship.

Moorea trail of the ancients is excellent. People also love the ATV excursion.

If you like snorkelling the snorkelling excursion Lagoonarium I think is excellent. I don't snorkel but it was definitely a treat to look out of the boat and see the fish.

Just a thought- you might want to do some of your Moorea activities on the days you are there pre-cruise. If it were me, I'd be itching to get out and explore the island after being holed up at the hotel for a day or two! Also, that may leave you one or even both days that the PG stops in Moorea to be more flexible. If you son has something he wants to do at the kid's program, he can do it (as opposed to the pre-cruise days when there is no conflict with the kid's program). And since all your food and drinks on the PG are free (...or should I say pre-paid for lol), it might be nice to enjoy the ship while everyone else is off exploring Moorea. Since you do have the 4 days pre-cruise, I would definitely plan one of your activities that day :)

I haven't gone on my cruise yet, but I will be doing the same itinerary as you. I actually decided that Huahine is the island we won't do a snorkeling excursion. Much of my research has indicated that while the snorkeling in Huahine is ok, it is far better in Bora Bora and the Tuamotus, so at a risk of feeling like I did the same activity every day, I opted to make Huahine a land excursion day. Hope that helps!

Thank you all SO much!! These are all great suggestions and I really appreciate the feedback on the excursions!!! deladane, I think you are right. I"m going to schedule a 4X4 tour on Moorea during our pre-cruise stay and see if there are any other "land" things we want to do while there. I've read the snorkeling at the Hilton is very good, so thought we would just do it there. If we swim and do the 4X4 during the pre-cruise, I may just leave Moorea open on our ship days to see what's happening with the kids' program. Thank you all so much!

We thoroughly enjoyed the Hilton Moorea. Great beach and some activities although there is not much in the local (walking) area. Several jewelry stores will transport you to/from their shops as will some restaurants. We had a great time on the second or third day with Moorea Miti Tours. Picked us up in a van and dropped us off at the Hilton pier. Fantastic snorkeling and opportunity to mix with the rays and black tip sharks. You can also watch the black tips as they swim around the creperie looking for snacks. Have a great time.

Thank you all for your replies and advice!

Here is what I came up with. We decided not to do any tours during our pre-cruise time at the Hilton Moorea (husband and son really want to relax and save our "marches", as they call them, for the cruise). We are also going to book the excursions through PG in case there is a conflict with the kids' activity schedule and we want to switch things up a little once we are onboard.

4 nights, pre-cruise Hilton Moorea (relax and swim)

Huahine - Huahine Iti tour

Bora Bora - day 1, Lagoon Cruise and Feast

Bora Bora - day 2, Offroad Adventure

Rangiroa - Rangiroa aquarium

Fakarava - Beach day excursion

Tah'a - PG private motu

Moorea - day 1, Aito off-road safari

Moorea - day 2, nothing (thought I would keep this open for now)

I thought this was a good mix of land and water? Thanks again for your advice!

Thank you all for your replies and advice!

Here is what I came up with. We decided not to do any tours during our pre-cruise time at the Hilton Moorea (husband and son really want to relax and save our "marches", as they call them, for the cruise). We are also going to book the excursions through PG in case there is a conflict with the kids' activity schedule and we want to switch things up a little once we are onboard.

4 nights, pre-cruise Hilton Moorea (relax and swim)

Huahine - Huahine Iti tour

Bora Bora - day 1, Lagoon Cruise and Feast

Bora Bora - day 2, Offroad Adventure

Rangiroa - Rangiroa aquarium

Fakarava - Beach day excursion

Tah'a - PG private motu

Moorea - day 1, Aito off-road safari

Moorea - day 2, nothing (thought I would keep this open for now)

I thought this was a good mix of land and water? Thanks again for your advice!

When is your cruise? I am hoping you are going before my cruise in September because I have been curious about the Huahine Iti tour and would love to hear how you enjoyed it!

When is your cruise? I am hoping you are going before my cruise in September because I have been curious about the Huahine Iti tour and would love to hear how you enjoyed it!

We are going in July!! Yes, I will report back! There was another thread on here specifically about Huahine Iti and a few people recommended it - it looks beautiful!

We are going in July!! Yes, I will report back! There was another thread on here specifically about Huahine Iti and a few people recommended it - it looks beautiful!

haha I started that thread! ;p I am still debating between Huahine Nui and Huahine Iti, so I would love to hear about your experiences when you get back! In fact, I can't wait to hear about your whole trip since we are both first-timers on the PG and will share a similar perspective. Any info you can share when you return will be much appreciated!! :cool:

When we did a pre-cruise stay in Moorea, we rented a car for the entire 3 days. It worked out well--we could may trips to various markets and small restaurants for lunch, and did a circumnavigation one day. It was nice to have the flexibility but then we didn't stay at the Hilton.

haha I started that thread! ;p I am still debating between Huahine Nui and Huahine Iti, so I would love to hear about your experiences when you get back! In fact, I can't wait to hear about your whole trip since we are both first-timers on the PG and will share a similar perspective. Any info you can share when you return will be much appreciated!! :cool:

HA! I didn't realize that! That's funny! Yes, I will definitely report back!

Thank you Wendy The Wanderer and twin123185 for the suggestion of renting a car on Moorea - I didn't even think of that! I will look into it today!

I have used both AVIS and Alberts. Hope you can drive a stick! Automatics are rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the stick .......... brings me back to my youth :)

I've used both ..... Albert's is usually a bit less, PacificCar/Avis usually has the newer cars. I started booking with Albert's again as Avis is getting into the habit of picking up people in Cook's Bay and then shuttle you over to the ferry terminal where their main office is ....... a real hassle. Albert's is very close to the tender drop off location in Cook's Bay, easy walk.

Maybe Avis is going to go back to the old way, if they do I'll probably start booking with them again.

• 3 weeks later...

For the day at Taha'a, order breakfast room service for 0700, then do the morning (0830) coral garden snorkel trip, after the snorkel trip the boat drops you off at the Motu and lunch is served and you still have all afternoon to enjoy the Motu. This is a very shallow water (<6') drift snorkel with a lazy river type current right through one of the prettiest coral gardens you will have the opportunity to see. The coral garden is between two small motus, so its very safe, not an open water snorkel trip. Your son will love it.

For the day at Taha'a, order breakfast room service for 0700, then do the morning (0830) coral garden snorkel trip, after the snorkel trip the boat drops you off at the Motu and lunch is served and you still have all afternoon to enjoy the Motu. This is a very shallow water (<6') drift snorkel with a lazy river type current right through one of the prettiest coral gardens you will have the opportunity to see. The coral garden is between two small motus, so its very safe, not an open water snorkel trip. Your son will love it.

Thank you so much! I just registered for the excursion! It sounds wonderful.

We're getting so excited too. Thought I'd post our excursion plans here too in hopes it may help others who are still in the midst of deciding what to do. We are taking a gamble on a couple things by not booking them through PG, but at least with reputable operators. And one PG excursion I've not seen anyone mention on this board before (e-bike on Moorea). We are doing 3 nights pre-cruise on Taha'a so we will do the Coral garden drift snorkel then. Here is the rest of our thoughts/plans:

Huihine PG - Sacred sites and legendary places Bora Bora Pure Snorkeling with manta rays. Bora Bora PG- Off Road Adventure (landrover)

Rangiroa PG- Snorkeling the aquarium Fakarava

South pass Tetemanu tour with Ato- Full day 8:30-4:30

Sea day Taha'a Motu Mahana- Ship picnic and beach day. Moorea 3 coconuts Hiking tour 8:30 (5hrs) Moorea Fast paced Belvedere by Ebike (2hrs)