30th Birthday Solo Adventure

ResearchObsessed

So, I just booked my first cruise (with my BF) which I am SO excited about. I have been obsessively researching for about a month now and I know I will enjoy this type of vacation. With that said, it popped into my mind that a solo trip I have been contemplating for my 30th might work perfectly with a cruise. As a solo female, I know I would feel safe both on the ship and in any ports.

Can anyone with solo experience recommend any good tips/tricks for searching for a cruise with a good deal for a solo traveler? Also, any particularly awesome trips you think would work well for me? It looks like the most affordable solo lines are NCL and RCL, correct? Am I crazy?

This is a bit of a terrifying trip prospect for me as I am always the one to say "but I need someone with me". That is why I want to do this though - as a jump into something scary to learn about myself more and hopefully walk away with some amazing memories and confidence in myself.

I am leaning towards Europe - but I am quite flexible as long as it isn't the US or Caribbean (heading there in September!).

I'll assume your budget allows some flexibility. If you need super-cheap, you're pretty much stuck with the Caribbean.

The Mediterranean might interest you while still being within your comfort zone. July/August is very expensive and crowded but I've gotten good deals off-season. Northern Europe tends to be expensive and a shorter cruise season. Remember that airfare will add about $1000 and there's a six-hour time change that has to be allowed for.

I'll also assume that you don't want to be with a bunch of decrepit old geezers who go to bed at 8 PM. There are some American cruise ships there in the spring and fall but also European cruise lines there year-round which are geared towards Europeans and which might be different enough to suit you. European ports also give you lots of things to research.

Edited by Dancer Bob

• 4 weeks later...

What time of year? Alaska is good for the summer. Mexican Riviera or Hawaii is a good option for the winter.

What do you consider reasonable (price/day)? There are several websites which list no or low single supplement cruises (but we are not allowed to post links here...the one directly above my post here will likely be removed at some point by a moderator). Try Googling "single supplement cruise discounts" to find some of these. I find a lot on one that can be abbreviated VTG.

You will find a younger party oriented crowd much more on NCL or Carnival, but these cruises are cheapest for a reason...more crowded, lower staff : passenger ratio, etc. Rarely will you find no or low single supplements available on HAL or Princess. Occasionally on RCCL or Celebrity. Sometimes available on the high-end cruise lines like Seaborne or Crystal. River cruises may also be a good option. AmaWaterways and Vantage often have no or low single supplements. These trips tend to me more expensive/day than an ocean cruise, but they are also all inclusive with your shore excursions and wine/beer/coffee, etc. included. I just came back from a 7 day AmaWaterways cruise solo and had a great time (and no single supplement).

NCL is always a fairly reliable line for solos. You can engage, or disengage, from the solo activities as you please.

I've done the Epic's western Mediterranean cruise, the Eastern Mediterranean (Jade was doing it then), and most recently the Baltic capitals on the Getaway. All were amazing cruises and excellent value for money.

If you want to take it 'safe' for your first solo, you might want to use the ship's tours for the guarantee they provide in getting you back on time. If you're a little more adventurous, you can save a lot of money with private tours organised with people on your roll call (and they rely on getting people back on time so not much of a risk really).

So, I just booked my first cruise (with my BF) which I am SO excited about. I have been obsessively researching for about a month now and I know I will enjoy this type of vacation. With that said, it popped into my mind that a solo trip I have been contemplating for my 30th might work perfectly with a cruise. As a solo female, I know I would feel safe both on the ship and in any ports.

Can anyone with solo experience recommend any good tips/tricks for searching for a cruise with a good deal for a solo traveler? Also, any particularly awesome trips you think would work well for me? It looks like the most affordable solo lines are NCL and RCL, correct? Am I crazy?

This is a bit of a terrifying trip prospect for me as I am always the one to say "but I need someone with me". That is why I want to do this though - as a jump into something scary to learn about myself more and hopefully walk away with some amazing memories and confidence in myself.

I am leaning towards Europe - but I am quite flexible as long as it isn't the US or Caribbean (heading there in September!).

What different solos will call "most comfortable" will vary with the individual. I think Crystal is the most comfortable for solos, based on my experience (and they have a lot of solo passengers so obviously I'm not alone)....... But it may not be best for you. It depends on what you want in your cruise experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums