Hilo Downtown Walking

49erteacher

I hope to walk around the downtown area visiting the Discovery Center, Tsunami Museum, Lyman Museum and East Hawaii Cultural Center. They all look close on the map. Is it easy walking in the area? Are there places to sit? I sometimes have difficulty walking more than about 4-5 blocks without a short rest. Additionally,transport alternatives from the port to the downtown area would be appreciated.

We usually rent a car in Hilo, so can't answer your questions about walking. Here's a link to a website that is used frequently by cruisers - http://cruiseportwiki.com/Hilo. It tells you all about just about any port in the world, with maps, points of interest, lots of detail about what's right around the pier area, transportation, etc. Another similar site is "TomsPortGuide".

According to the guide for Hilo, the downtown area is about 2.3 miles from the pier, about an hour's walk. It's flat and level, but based on what you say about needing to rest frequently, it might be too much for you. Keep in mind that it will be very warm and humid and also that Hilo gets a lot of rain. You would probably do better trying a bus or getting a taxi into downtown and then walking around as much as you are able. Make sure to check out the roll call for your cruise - you can ask if anyone would want to share the cost of a taxi or knows more about the bus schedules, etc.

I visit Hilo a couple times every year. I think that the downtown area is very easily walked but will try to find out if there are benches around to take a rest. If you have time for a lunch break... a couple restaurants that we enjoy are Cafe Pesto in one of the old buildings looking out to Hilo Bay, and Moon and Turtle which is on Kalakaua St. Wilson's Shave Ice on Mamo Street is also a favorite. There are always lines at the shave ice place at the Hilo Farmers Market but Wilsons is about a block away, better, less expensive, and less crowded. There is a seating area at the food trucks at the farmers market where you can sit. Walking from the cruise terminal would not be a good idea so I recommend a taxi. I have the name of a driver that I like if you would like me to post it. I have seen that there is a complimentary shuttle to downtown Hilo when cruise ships are in town so that may be an option. It's so nice to see the places you want to visit in Hilo. Cherie

Thanks cccole and Kartgv for the information. I found information for the Farmer’s Market’s free shuttle. I will check out one of the restaurants you suggested. My trip isn’t until October so there is plenty of time, I am just an early planner.

Edited by 49erteacher
spacing

I hope to walk around the downtown area visiting the Discovery Center, Tsunami Museum, Lyman Museum and East Hawaii Cultural Center. They all look close on the map. Is it easy walking in the area? Are there places to sit? I sometimes have difficulty walking more than about 4-5 blocks without a short rest. Additionally,transport alternatives from the port to the downtown area would be appreciated.

Aloha,

I hope you don't mind me adding in my $0.02 here, but I live in Hilo and let me see if I can be of assistance. Walking in downtown Hilo is pretty good. The sidewalks are in good shape, and I know that they conform to ADA in regards to curbs and ramps and such. As you said, these things are mostly in the same area, with the Lyman house being on an uphill grade...just up the street from the Tsunami museum.

As far as places to sit, I don't recall there being any benches in the area in that area downtown. You may want to think about getting a portable walking stick/seat that can be unfolded and used. Just a thought.

As far as alternative transportation to the downtown area, there are taxis waiting for you as you step off the ship. BUT, they will always try first to get a half day tour or a more distant fair. There is usually a taxi commission official there to make sure this doesn't happen. If it is their turn, they have to take you. There is usually a shuttle for the Farmers Market, but to the best of my recollection only runs until about Noon. There is also Uber and Lyft in Hilo, but they cannot pick up in the port itself, They can pick you up outside the gate though, which is about 200yds from the terminal. (They can drop you off back in the terminal though)

I hope this helps a little bit, and if I can be of further assistance, just post here and I'll do my best!

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

• 3 weeks later...
Hey how close is the nearest beach from the port on Hilo? can u rent chairs and umbrellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aloha,

The nearest "beach" is Richardson Beach. It is about 1 1/4 mile front he port turning left once you get out of the port. No beach chairs and umbrellas to rent. Truth be told, it's not one of those sugary/white sand beaches that people dream about in Hawai'i. The Big Island really doesn't have those kinds of beaches...those can be found more on O'ahu and Maui. Sorry. It's a lovely spot, but not "resort like". The upside is that we have a lot of sea turtle sightings there.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

http://Www.facebook.com/Elua music

http://Www.facebook.com/daveshellymusic