Scooter or No Scooter

Artemus

Having a hard time trying to decide if I (and my wife) want to rent scooters when we cruise to Bermuda šŸ‡§šŸ‡².

Any opinions regarding this subject will be appreciated.

We will be on the island for the better part of two days and would be using them for free lancing .

What is the going rate for a day? Can you rent them for half a day or just a couple of hours?

Thank you in advance...

Have u been to Bermuda before?? If so u r aware of the difficult traffic patterns. The roundabouts are pretty bad!! U will be driving on " wrong side " of road. The biggest question is whether u r an experienced scooter or motorcycle driver. If not don't even consider it. My husband has driven a motorcycle for 25 years and said no way in Bermuda. The horror stories a of tourists getting injured on the scooters are very scary.

Good luck on whatever u decide.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't recommend it. I just got back Friday and a lady launched herself off the the pier into the harbor on one. They now have a free ferry for ncl to St. George's and to get to Hamilton isn't pricey. I wouldn't risk it.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a hard time trying to decide if I (and my wife) want to rent scooters when we cruise to Bermuda [emoji1048].

Ā 

Any opinions regarding this subject will be appreciated.

Ā 

We will be on the island for the better part of two days and would be using them for free lancing .

Ā 

What is the going rate for a day? Can you rent them for half a day or just a couple of hours?

Ā 

Thank you in advance...

Ā 

Ā 

Not a good idea. Roads are narrow, usually no shoulder, and they drive on the other side. Many tourists get injured.

Ā 

The week before last there were two fatalities, one involving a rental scooter. Last week there were two accidents involving rental scooters.

Ā 

You can read the articles in the local paper. Scooter carnage in just the last two weeks.

Ā 

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170512/two-killed-on-road-in-24-hours

Ā 

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170517/bike-and-car-crash-in-sandys

Ā 

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170519/american-couple-injured-in-bike-crash

Edited by Charles4515

I had ridden scooters and motorcycles for many years before my first trip to Bermuda -- I had also experienced driving on the left side of the road in Ireland and England; so I was pretty confident - but I had to continually remind myself "drive left, drive left".

Ā 

Without having had a fair amount of experience either two-wheeling or left-side driving I strongly recommend you not try to do both simultaneously.

In the 90's,my I would rent a 2 seater.Had no problems until we witnessed a fatal accident at a round about.A young couple were riding about 100 yards ahead of us and turned right at the round about and hit a small truck head-on.The man was killed and his wife seriously injured.They were on our cruise.We never rented scooters again.

We rented scooters in St. George. There is much less traffic at that end of the island. If you stay away from the causeway you won't see much traffic at all. It does drive on the left and scooters are quirky. I wouldn't rent in Dockyard or Hamilton. Far to much traffic, and local drivers drive fast. Rental scooters are underpowered; the locals fly.

We've been to Bermuda may times and have rented in the past. However, now a 2 day rental is now over $100 and a 2 day bus/ferry pass is around $32. The bus/ferry service encompasses the entire island. If you're going to St George's it's much quicker to take a ferry anyway and all the bus routes will bring you to just about any and all the sites you might want to see as well as just getting off "where ever" to explore on your own. I'd go with the bus/ferry pass. Check out a Bermuda guide book and plan your journey accordingly. But like I said, you can just hop off "where ever/whenever". And by the way, we're sailing on the 'Veendam" to Bermuda in a couple of weeks and we'll be getting the bus/ferry pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Bermuda last week and we ended up renting a double scooter for my wife and I. We were planning on only 1 day, but ended up loving it so much we extended! It was one of the funnest things we have ever done! The views are incredible and it was so easy to get around and explore the entire island. No worrying or waiting for buses/ferries. We covered the entire island and had a blast. And when you are done for the day you can park right near the cruise ship.

Ā 

We rented from Oleanders which has a shop right near the dockyard. They charge by day only (24 hr. period). The 1st day for a double-seater was $65 +30 insurance and the second day was $57. We ended up only paying for 2 days, but were able to use it all three days we were there 11am Wed-11am Friday. On Friday we ended up exploring the south beaches one last time then returned the scooters in Hamilton our last day as we could check out the town by foot, and then took the ferry back to the ship.

Ā 

A double was definitely more cost efficient than if we had rented two singles, but I think the experience and freedom is definitely worth the cost. It wasn't much more than 2X ferry/bus passes and we were able to maximize our time much better.

Edited by Sheth