Bolo tie with dinner suit on black tie evening?

Denarius

I have recently acquired a rather handsome black bolo tie, the clasp of which is a black agate oval set in black and silver metal. I have seen such ties worn with a tux on formal occasions, albeit not on a P&O ship. Would wearing such a tie (instead of a bow tie) with a black dinner suit and dress shirt be acceptable on black tie nights? What do you think?

I have recently acquired a rather handsome black bolo tie, the clasp of which is a black agate oval set in black and silver metal. I have seen such ties worn with a tux on formal occasions, albeit not on a P&O ship. Would wearing such a tie (instead of a bow tie) with a black dinner suit and dress shirt be acceptable on black tie nights? What do you think?

Sounds wonderful to me and soooo classy and different. You will look amazing and I doubt that anyone else would say anything different.

PS Have to admit, I had to look up what a bolo tie was ;-)

Why not? Wearing a DJ isn't compulsory on formal night - a dark suit and tie is acceptable so why not spice up your DJ with your attractive bolo tie? You are adhering to the concept of dressing up for formal night so shouldn't offend anyone on that score. Ladies have a lot of latitude on formal nights so I don't see why a gentleman shouldn't exhibit a little individuality. Go for it!

(I had to look up bolo tie too!)

Why not? Wearing a DJ isn't compulsory on formal night - a dark suit and tie is acceptable so why not spice up your DJ with your attractive bolo tie? You are adhering to the concept of dressing up for formal night so shouldn't offend anyone on that score. Ladies have a lot of latitude on formal nights so I don't see why a gentleman shouldn't exhibit a little individuality. Go for it!

(I had to look up bolo tie too!)

So did I. I've always known them as shoelace ties.

I read your post as 'Be On (the) Look Out' for my tie; made me chuckle :D

:D:D I think we all will be now. ;) I'm sure there will be lots of people approaching you having read this thread - it will be quite a talking point. You will make lots of new friends!

Thanks for your generally positive comments. This picture (not me but a similar tie) gives an idea of what it would look like.

Brilliant - the Scots can wear a kilt so why can't you wear your tie? Love it. Classy.

wear whatever you wish and feel comfortable in. I have seen people in expensive and cheap suits. Often hard to tell the difference, most clues are in the fit(missing buttons)

It is the sea air you know that makes those 'cruise suits tight.' Surely not the buffet !!!:p

Thanks for the inspiration Denarius, I've just been looking on-line at a few designs, they sure look perty, I'm going to wear one as well, as long as it's okay with she who thinks she must be obeyed, as she's the one who's got to look at it all evening!

Peter