Crown Mediterranean Adventures

upwarduk

Almost completed our cruise, which I will expand on when we get home, due to lack of Internet minutes.

However, I just want to say a very big thank you to Captain Justine Rhodes, who led a very moving Memorial Service this morning to a packed theatre ( standing room only) to the victims of The Manchester terrorist attack on May 22nd 2017. We scattered lilies into the sea, one for each victim.

Almost completed our cruise, which I will expand on when we get home, due to lack of Internet minutes.

However, I just want to say a very big thank you to Captain Justine Rhodes, who led a very moving Memorial Service this morning to a packed theatre ( standing room only) to the victims of The Manchester terrorist attack on May 22nd 2017. We scattered lilies into the sea, one for each victim.

Very nice. :loudcry:

Very nice gesture by Princess and the Captain.

The theatre was packed and many people 'filled up' when the Last Post was played.

On another note:

Even better news this morning, we are having 35% refunded for the missed bus portion, Genoa to Santa Margarita, on our trip to Portofino.

About time!

O.K that Princess is a business, but they really cannot charge for portions that they don't provide!!!

The theatre was packed and many people 'filled up' when the Last Post was played.

Filled up? I'd have blubbed like a baby.

As an aside, and as we're on the Crown Princess soon, how is she?

Martin.

On another note:

Even better news this morning, we are having 35% refunded for the missed bus portion, Genoa to Santa Margarita, on our trip to Portofino.

About time!

O.K that Princess is a business, but they really cannot charge for portions that they don't provide!!!

It was a good gesture and nice to be able to pay respect to those who have lost their lives or been terribly injured.

We did the Portofino trip which was lovely but we have been charged the full amount on our stateroom account. I never thought to ask about a refund for the unused coach whilst we were on board. I think I will send an email. Santa Margarita is gorgeous I would love to spend a few days there sometime.

After reading some negative reviews about the Crown I was a little apprehensive about this cruise but I think the ship is absolutely fine. Everyone working on board were just as friendly and attentive as on previous cruises. We had one of the new beds and new bed linen and it was very comfortable.

Apparently when the ship goes for a refit, there will be no more Horizon Court, instead there will be a Market Place with different types of cuisine provided at various stations. Neville the maitre d told us he is very excited about the changes.

Embarkation

We left our overnight hotel just before noon and made our way to Ocean Terminal via Dock gate 4, where we were advised to empty our car of luggage and wait for a porter. We gave the key to an APC representative, who gave us a receipt and the car was driven away. Porters seemed to be avoiding us, walking past us and attending to people in wheel chairs. Eventually I asked a young lad to come to us. It was when he was wheeling our luggage away that I saw a sign to indicate that there was a weight limit of 23kg! News to me, I hadn't seen that on our invoices.

We were given our health questionnaire to fill in and then instructed to go up the stairs to check in, which was completed very quickly. We were then guided to seats, where we waited possibly 30 minutes to be called to security. We went through the usual scanning process and were on the ship by 1.15pm. So even though we were told that E decks embarkation time was 2 pm, we were not delayed!

We found our cabin E321 on deck 8 ( which was between the forward and midships lifts) and my cases had already been delivered, so we put them inside and went to the Horizon Court on Deck 15 for lunch.

436cc84aa330505c33c1aa62eac3f47e.jpg

3fc6c6d64897f83c1b690c30dba52fb7.jpg

The afternoon was spent unpacking and attending muster drill. We then went up to deck 15 for sail a way, but didn't stay long as we needed to get changed for dinner.

85e11a58618e8cc267deb72c4420b05d.jpg

We were in Botticelli dining room, which is on Deck 6 aft. However, we had to go along Deck 7 and then down to deck 6. Very confusing. Our table 100 was in the far corner, as far away as possible!

It took a while to see the Maitre'D concerning my Lactose Intolerance, but he said that the chef would make me a special sweet every night.

9007319a8a44c6b3717f2ba430d7c5c3.jpg

59ca250166fb966d05e28528a3be9b94.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

We then attended the first night in the theatre at 8pm. The resident band were introduced and the Crown Princess singers and dancers started the entertainment and then a comedian from Pontefract, Jo Little, completed the show. She was an entertaining comedian and a superb singer.

1a9709c3064ce6465d7d1461d0adb8ab.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

14.05.17. Bay of Biscay

I was up early and we went to the dining room for breakfast, which took an hour to serve! We then went to the Barcelona port talk where we learnt that there was a 'blue bus' which would take us to the Columbus statue for €2.5. Also a shuttle bus, but that could be a higher charge if put on by Princess.

We ate lunch in the Horizon , but it was very difficult to find a table. The serving area is small. We left there via the swimming pool area, but it was very windy, we are after all in the Bay of Biscay!

As we left we saw the MUTs video screen which was showing Premier matches. They were very loud.

We then went to Deck 16, to the Adje---? lounge, where Adrian joined the choir at 2 pm. They were given 5 songs sheets. Tomorrow, is actual sign up day.

We then went back to the room and I had a sleep before we got ready for the Gold and Ruby Captain's circle meeting at 4.45pm.

As an aside and as we're on the Crown Princess soon, how is she

d29c5c463c46896c18d88c9b2c9c83ba.jpg

I think they have been renewing the carpets, this one is in the lift (elevator) area on deck 8 forward.

Edited by upwarduk

We hope that you are enjoying holiday on the Crown and thank you for sharing it with photos .

But we are truly sorry that another tragedy has come to the UK and especially to the people who lost loved ones in another hateful act by a terrorist . You have our deepest sympathy and prayers in this very difficult time .

Thank you Joe and Mic.

17.05.17. Barcelona

A beautiful day. After breakfast we made our way down to Deck 5 and on to the shuttle bus ($10 return)We were dropped at the International square.

9bfdcabaf4ae9c1855fa88904f14ec0d.jpg

05535e5f99506ced170678e73ceac3e1.jpg

18e7950f0cacb287248822c49b1a1a76.jpg

We inspected this anchor, to see if it was manufactured by the firm where my Dad worked as a cost accountant, but could find no markings!

We walked to the Columbus Statue

and then up La Rambla.

609046a063cd29ccb53b207ba6d603a9.jpg

2f1f914b0c92ff25f64c26939ba033af.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

At the top of La Rambla we found the square 'Placa Catalunya,' where

we found a table outside a cafe. We thought might access their Wi-fi, but although connected, I couldn't send emails, so I had to resort to text messages to family back home.

We sat and people watched for an hour or so ( mainly having a coffee, but also resting my feet![emoji85])

93d4b3713a3d30953c1081a8902c551c.jpg

c925e1baf79df639c8e4f43cba44101b.jpg

62d4e6d11eb2d5a04b009b55955114d7.jpg

61609c4b36d7093e0f1ab7903d5a0a58.jpg

7c941de69aae2e855b922974b568e674.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our return we went into a sports shop where Adrian ( an avid football fan) bought a Barcelona shirt and hat. He was also given a key ring.

8f7999830011c98533a83944b56506d5.jpg

We also took photos of other points of interest.

426bb1117d0f890be82a16efdc22dcd1.jpg

The start date of this exhibition was on our son's 49th birthday!

e4f64ab70d3e88e3bcb769f805289252.jpg

The Opera house

50b3507ac8babb707e3bb84185efbb07.jpg

---and another theatre

9f1dd39a5594303ca6a6324e51b34792.jpg

Really enjoying your review as we are sailing on the Crown Princess late July for our honeymoon. You seem to have had a wonderful time so far and this does put some of my fears to rest as there have been some terrible reviews of the Crown on here.

It's good to here about the weight limit for the cases as you rightly say this isn't mentioned and we can plan for that.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

We then made our way back to the International square to pick up the shuttle bus. How the crowds had grown since early morning.

c888389c2923e7265f237e417afe8f35.jpg

View of the fort ( in the far distance on top of the hill) from near La Rambla.

d05751bdc22abab36b74ab2629a8e0cb.jpg

The ship from the shuttle bus

fdda88dfc7d8896fd3034e0a86707bd9.jpg

And finally some sunsets to end what should have been a perfect day. Unfortunately, there was a medical emergency on the pool deck at 4.30pm so we didn't leave Barcelona until 8pm.

88c958a2080a2dd6bc23303aa9d391e0.jpg

58702561479586e014f74e45d50c8be1.jpg

Although we ulcer have left at 6pm.

Edited by upwarduk