Just booked 1st South America cruise

HomelessBear

Sooo excited. Although we're elite and have cruised before, this will be our first ever cruise to South America. It's a way off - Xmas & new year 2018 - but something to look forward to.

It's costing an arm and a leg more than what we normally pay for our cruises, but it's been on DHs bucket list for ages. We were going to wait until he'd retired, but that's another 10 years away. With everything bad that is happening in the world and with some close friends and family battling terminal illness, we've decided that we won't wait, as you never know what is round the next corner. We may not make it to his retirement or we may not be in good health then to cruise, so its full steam ahead and booked.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone here whose posts I've been reading about when the cruises were coming out - when they came out at 9am for you folks across the pond, they came out on the website here, but our TAs & Princess were just closing, so I had to wait until 9am today before I could book.

We got the cabin we wanted - although I couldn't believe how many cabins had already been sold (unless many block booked by TAs) - and we got our dining preference. Thanks also to the folks who said which side of the ship we should have.

Such great tips and info here from my fellow passengers. Thank you all.

Happy cruising [emoji568][emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sooo excited. Although we're elite and have cruised before, this will be our first ever cruise to South America. It's a way off - Xmas & new year 2018 - but something to look forward to.

It's costing an arm and a leg more than what we normally pay for our cruises, but it's been on DHs bucket list for ages. We were going to wait until he'd retired, but that's another 10 years away. With everything bad that is happening in the world and with some close friends and family battling terminal illness, we've decided that we won't wait, as you never know what is round the next corner. We may not make it to his retirement or we may not be in good health then to cruise, so its full steam ahead and booked.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone here whose posts I've been reading about when the cruises were coming out - when they came out at 9am for you folks across the pond, they came out on the website here, but our TAs & Princess were just closing, so I had to wait until 9am today before I could book.

We got the cabin we wanted - although I couldn't believe how many cabins had already been sold (unless many block booked by TAs) - and we got our dining preference. Thanks also to the folks who said which side of the ship we should have.

Such great tips and info here from my fellow passengers. Thank you all.

Happy cruising [emoji568][emoji568]

Enjoy your cruise. We did the 28 day Buenos Aires to Los Angeles on the Star few years ago and it remains one of cruise's that we reminisce. If you can, take a bit of time to spend with our southern hemisphere brothers and sisters. The few days in the beginning and/or end of the cruise are well worth the time.

Casofilia - we here in UK also don't get the $1 deposit offer or any extra OBC or the SIP & Sail or any other promotion that is offered in the US. However if I want to sail with Princess that's how it is.

We were on the Caribbean Princess around the UK last year and bought a Future Cruise Credit for £75pp while on board. We did this for the $100pp OBC we would get booking a balcony, as we had been thinking about the South American cruise. If we didn't use it, we would also get it returned to us - unlike P&O who get to keep our money if we don't use it within 2 years.

When we booked this SA cruise yesterday, the TA had never dealt with anyone who had the FCC and he was saying that I would need to pay the full deposit (around £800).

We were both very pleasantly surprised when Princess said that the £150 we'd already paid fully covered the deposit.

So it's a no brainier for us now and we'll book a FCC on our next cruise, as it's a win win situation if we decide to book another Princess cruise in the following 2 years or not.

Happy cruising.

Booked our first SA as well. We booked the full 49 days - Feb 2 through March 23, 2019. Far too expensive for our modest budget but who knows how long one will be around and able to cruise. We've never done a cruise this long so it will be very different. Princess kicked down $1,000 OBC ($500 each) which helps a little but we are actually hoping to move it to a Sip and Sail later on if possible.

Thank you HomelessBear

I will call Princess Australia during the day and see if I can do the same thing. Having to find a 20% deposit for two people on a $10K cruise would push the finances a little far at this point.

Mike

Have done this route twice, the most recent time was this past Feb./Mar. Great cruise. Bring layers, it gets cool down around Cape Horn. Join your roll call.

In B.A. we booked private tours with Buenostours, Justine, and were not sorry.

In Montevideo, we went on a private back yard BBQ (asado) with city tour. Herbert was the tour guide and we went to his home. Great experience.

In Valparaiso/Santiago we had a private tour with The German Pirate, Michael Arnold.

You can find these all on line.

Have a good time planning and on the cruise.

Congrats on booking your cruise! I'm looking forward to South America, too, on my bucket list. I'm sailing on the Emerald Buenos Aires to LA March 2018. I'm going to stay in Buenos Aires a few days before the cruise. I never fly so far without taking time to sightsee and unwind before getting onboard.

So far we have done the Santiago to BA cruise and the BA to FLL cruise. We will be on the Santiago to LA cruise next March which will complete our east coast to west coast around the horn experience. We have already did the LA to FLL through the canal which was great.

When you get to the southern tip of SA, it will be most likely cold and the seas as you round the horn can be very choppy. So dress in layers and be ready for a rough sea. Luckily when we went around the horn several years ago, the seas were mild and we were able to tender to the Falklands. The penguins in the Falklands were fantastic as was Patrick Watts. We saw penguins in other ports as well. It has been reported on CC that several were not able to visit the Falklands due to the rough seas and tendering risks. Since you will be there in their summer, expect rain which we had on several days.

There are two world sites not to be missed. Outside BA (requires 1.5 hour plane ride) is Iguazu Falls which are bigger than Niagara. The falls separate Brazil and Argentina and require a Brazilian visa ($$$ and done in advance while still in the US) to enter the Brazil side. Luckily though the Argentina side is really nice.

The other world site is in Peru just north of Chile. Machu Picchu should be high on your list if you are in Chile. Good news is that a visa is not required for US citizens visiting Chile, Peru or Argentina. The US has reciprocal agreements with all three countries.

I do agree with the OP, do it now while you are still able to go. That may not be the case in the future.

We booked our first South America cruise, BA to Los Angeles for next Feb. and we booked it pretty much for the same reasons as you, OP. One day you wake up and realize it's time to really start tackling the bucket list before it's too late.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Montevideo, we went on a private back yard BBQ (asado) with city tour. Herbert was the tour guide and we went to his home. Great experience.

In Valparaiso/Santiago we had a private tour with The German Pirate, Michael Arnold.

You can find these all on line.

Have a good time planning and on the cruise.

Apology for problems posting....

Could you give me the name of the tour operator in Montevideo. I Googled Herbert but didn't come up with anything ...

I am in touch with Michael too - hope you had a good experience with him.

Edited by koolforkatz
My ipad is acting up

Apology for problems posting....

Could you give me the name of the tour operator in Montevideo. I Googled Herbert but didn't come up with anything ...

I am in touch with Michael too - hope you had a good experience with him.

Montevideo

Search tourguideushuaia.net, then select Montevideo, then select tour #3

The German Pirate, Michael

He set up a private tour for us, We visited wineries in Casa Blanca Valley, had home made empandas for lunch at an out of the way, non-tourist spot, visited Vina del Mar and Quintay. All depends on how much time you have. Our tour was just the two of us. It was a transport and tour from our hotel at Santiago airport to our hotel in Vina del Mar, pre- cruise.

Congratulations on booking a fabulous cruise! This was on my DH bucket list and I just went along. It was so interesting! We were able to dock in the Falklands and Patrick Watts was our guide since we booked early. The trip around Cape Horn was calm and the glaciers amazing. I'm now having mobility issues and am grateful I took many cruises and land tours over the past 20 years. DO IT NOW! Looking forward to following your adventure. Karen

we have done South America cruises twice and absolutely loved them. I have written extensively about each of the ports in my blog - link below in signature.

We are going to book the 49 days South America too but need Future Cruise Credits. We will book as separate legs though. Hoping price drops too, right now it is crazy high.

Montevideo

Search tourguideushuaia.net, then select Montevideo, then select tour #3

The German Pirate, Michael

He set up a private tour for us, We visited wineries in Casa Blanca Valley, had home made empandas for lunch at an out of the way, non-tourist spot, visited Vina del Mar and Quintay. All depends on how much time you have. Our tour was just the two of us. It was a transport and tour from our hotel at Santiago airport to our hotel in Vina del Mar, pre- cruise.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

What are the costs and benefits of Future Cruise Certificates please?

Future Cruise Deposits costs $100 and they will hold the cruise as the deposits so you don't have to outlay so much for the deposit for such a long time.

Also you get an on board credit which depends on a length of cruise and cabin type.

we have done South America cruises twice and absolutely loved them. I have written extensively about each of the ports in my blog - link below in signature.

We are going to book the 49 days South America too but need Future Cruise Credits. We will book as separate legs though. Hoping price drops too, right now it is crazy high.

We just booked the entire 49 days. The price is high but it is one we want to do...especially on the Royal. Will you get the $500 OBC PP plus the free gratuities by booking in 3 segments?

Certainly going to go back and re-read your SA blogs. 🤗

Cheers, Denise

We just booked the entire 49 days. The price is high but it is one we want to do...especially on the Royal. Will you get the $500 OBC PP plus the free gratuities by booking in 3 segments?

Certainly going to go back and re-read your SA blogs. 🤗

Cheers, Denise

Can only book in two segments. Fll to BA. Then BA to LA sameas last time. Same sale perks, freegratuities and obc

But this way i get two stock obc per leg of 250 each. Also two loyalty credits 100 each leg as well. With one leg of 49 days would only get 250 plus 100.

Important to wiegh out both ways of booking. Have agent see which is best foryou.

Also last time the individual legs dropped in price but the entire 49 days did not drop much.