HAL Norwegian cruise - Internet Questions.

Gnoelj

Hi there. Can anyone tell us what sort of internet package does HAL offer to passengers on board, and if the internet connections relatively fast?

We shall be going on one of their Norwegian cruises that will stop at:

Flam, Bergen, Trondheim, Geiranger, Honingsvad, Alesund, Stavanger, and Eidfjord.

Does anyone know if any of those cities (or towns) offer free outdoor wifi?

Thank you.

The Standard plan offers 1,000 minutes for $250 (25 cents per minute); 500 minutes for $175 (35 cents per minute); 250 minutes for $100 (40 cents per minute); 100 minutes for $55 (55 cents per minute); and a "pay as you go" option for 75 cents per minute.

The ship's crew would know where, if any, are free wifi spots in the port city.

I did a Norwegian cruise 2 years ago. The internet access was dismal. One of the things I complained about after the cruise. So slow. I could barely do anything on it. Most of the ports have wifi which was great. I did purchase an overseas plan for my phone. I was able to do lots of communicating to friends as long as the ship was in range of the wifi coverage. It's hard to get time with your minutes to download email and then send it. My mom has figured out that she downloads the emails, goes offline to write replies and then goes back online to send them. I will try that on my Panama Canal trip in October. Hope this helps you.

The satellites used for the internet connection are in orbit around the equator. Reception will be poor at best in the area around the arctic circle. Also in the narrow fjords reception is problematic.

During our cruise even TV sometimes had longer dropouts. Once the captain explained the strange zigzag course of the ship was not because he was drunk, but because they were trying to get a satellite lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The satellites used for the internet connection are in orbit around the equator. Reception will be poor at best in the area around the arctic circle. Also in the narrow fjords reception is problematic.

During our cruise even TV sometimes had longer dropouts. Once the captain explained the strange zigzag course of the ship was not because he was drunk, but because they were trying to get a satellite lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL

Roy