Can he Cruise?

Bustit997

My husband just got here from Thailand. He has his permanent resident green card. His passport allows him to come to America. It is not a visa for other countries. Since it is stamped with a permanent resident green card can he take a cruise for a week with it to the Caribbean or Mexico? He has not gotten his American DL yet.

He'll need to follow the immigration requirements of the countries you're planning to visit.

I have permanent residency in an EU country, but I travel on a US passport and have to follow the local rules for US citizens when I travel. My residence permit only gets me back into the EU, it means nothing outside of the EU.

Even with his Green card he will need some Visa's based on the Passport he is traveling on. Be very careful to research this with the Embassy of each country to be visited. Do not take anyone's opinion from a public forum like Cruise Critic. Some countries require a visa even if you are flying thru their country (transiting) but landing there while on the way to a different country.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband just got here from Thailand. He has his permanent resident green card. His passport allows him to come to America. It is not a visa for other countries. Since it is stamped with a permanent resident green card can he take a cruise for a week with it to the Caribbean or Mexico? He has not gotten his American DL yet.

Since you are making a decision on something that would have a major effect on your husband's life, I would not trust the answers of the "immigration lawyers" on CC. Get the real information from the counties involved. If you ask us and we are wrong, are you going to tell the people who might not let your husband back into the US that the people on CC told you that what you did was OK?

DON

An acquaintance with a green card needed to get a visa for a port in a Southern Caribbean cruise. Don't recall which country. Best to follow the advise on earlier posts to get infomation from consulates of countries to be visited.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you are making a decision on something that would have a major effect on your husband's life, I would not trust the answers of the "immigration lawyers" on CC. Get the real information from the counties involved. If you ask us and we are wrong, are you going to tell the people who might not let your husband back into the US that the people on CC told you that what you did was OK?

DON

Finally - some competent advice.

Since you are making a decision on something that would have a major effect on your husband's life, I would not trust the answers of the "immigration lawyers" on CC

AMEN!!!!!

Finally - some competent advice.

Advising the OP to check with the country's being visited to find out what their policies are isn't competent advise? Because that is what all of us "immigration lawyers" advised.

Perhaps he should take a cruise from Seattle to Alaska or from a CA port to Hawaii instead and skip the non-US port. But check with the cruise line to make sure they will let him on board without a visa for the Canadian port on the Alaska cruise or Mexico port on the Hawaii cruise.