How do you bring food safely to cabin from buffet?...

Goosebear Mum

Hi. I'll start a new thread, so we don't have another thread on room service charges! But for those of us who may now start to bring the occasional food from the buffet to your cabin balcony, how do you carry it? More specifically so it's safe from spillages!

Do you put the plates into a large cake type container? I'd be nervous of carrying everything down on a tray.

Any other ideas? (And, no, not just to pay the new charges!!!)

We carried a plate to our elderly Mom, who was lounging in the room. We put one plate on top of her plate and wrapped the whole thing in napkins and put it on a tray with a cup of coffee and took it on the elevator. She just left the dishes in the the room and the steward took care of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've only brought food to the cabin twice, I think my husband was either ill or bone idle [emoji6]

I put an extra plate on top like a lid, more because I don't like the thought of carrying open food around, with all the coughers [emoji85]

If I wanted to do this on a frequent basis I would either order room service breakfast and keep a couple of plastic covers or take some folded foil.

I do always take empty freezer and sandwich bags on a cruise, I find they come in handy for all sorts of stuff and always get used, so the odd cheese roll could go in one of those. That's what I like about Britannia - grab'n'go.

Each to their own but I'd rather pay the room service charge than have the hassle and room service food is usually quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all these ideas. :). A plate on top, (and /or Folded foil to hold together) is a great idea.

I've also seen some non slip mat (on Amazon) which would help avoid the plates, etc, sliding on the trays.

Great ideas for when we want to choose our own food or snacks, but maybe eat where it's quiet, and on our own on the balcony :)

Do they still have trays on P&O ships? We're sailing again next year but this year we sailed with Cunard and all the trays have gone. As they are both Carnival lines I just wondered if the same practice was being adopted on P&O?

Do they still have trays on P&O ships? We're sailing again next year but this year we sailed with Cunard and all the trays have gone. As they are both Carnival lines I just wondered if the same practice was being adopted on P&O?

Trays have certainly been on our recent cruises (Aurora Dec/Jan and a 2 nighters on Azura a few weeks ago). Gosh, having no trays would be awkward. Orange juice, cutlery, plate, bowl, maybe side plate for toast... butter portion, jam portion...

Not an inviting prospect now room service charges have been brought in. I've seen the occasional passenger staggering cabin bound with food balanced precariously on trays, now it's bound to get worse.

Can't P&O adjust their prices so they can offer a hassle free cruise like they used to. Probably not, it's all about filling up those big ships. Sad.

David.

Not an inviting prospect now room service charges have been brought in. I've seen the occasional passenger staggering cabin bound with food balanced precariously on trays, now it's bound to get worse.

Can't P&O adjust their prices so they can offer a hassle free cruise like they used to. Probably not, it's all about filling up those big ships. Sad.

David.

I agree, I think it's about keeping prices low to fill up ships by unbundling.

They keep the baseline cost of the cruise low to attract passengers, then you have the option to cruise very economically i.e. Not using facilities incurring additional charges, or you jazz-up your holiday with surcharges.

P&O cabin costs haven't undergone huge increases over the years. The result is that people who want to cruise like they did ten years ago, can do so, but not at the price they paid ten years ago. Which I suppose is fair enough really.

Having said this I don't think we will see lots of people carrying trays back to the cabins, because:

-new ship balconies are too small to 'live the dream' of balcony dining, and also have the grab and go.

-on adult only ships people tend to enjoy lunching in venues and you don't see too many room service trays anyway

-the romance of eating on a balcony is better than the reality - if you have to go to the buffet and transport food. People may try it once but I reckon they would decided it's too much trouble.

I think people may take fruit and sandwiches back as that's not too much effort, doesn't require trays and is fairly convenient.

I'm glad to see extra options on room service, I just wish they would give an indication of allergens other than gluten.

We did take a few items back to our cabin recently on Arcadia as we just fancied eating in the cabin. However we were on the receiving end of a pointed comment about people who take trays of food into lifts! Plus we struggled to get the cabin door open whilst carrying tray so decided we wouldn't bother doing that again!! Arcadia has a nice little section just outside the buffet by Neptune's Grill where they make up sandwiches to order, OK, the choice is limited but enough for it to make a change on a 17 day cruise. [emoji41][emoji41]

Is there an 'official' line (from P&O) on whether it is acceptable to take food from the buffet into your cabin?

I don't care if people take food from the buffet to the cabin.

What does annoy me is when people leave the tray and remains of their food (whether they have brought it from the buffet or ordered it through room service) in the hallways.

What does annoy me is when people leave the tray and remains of their food (whether they have brought it from the buffet or ordered it through room service) in the hallways.

Me too. Someone recently on a 2 nighter on Azura, left theirs just outside OUR cabin... I turned out of our door and tripped over it!! Not seen people leave trays around the place on Aurora before, or maybe they were collected more regularly. If we take food down to our cabin ever, we'll return the tray afterwards :)

I've only brought food to the cabin twice, I think my husband was either ill or bone idle [emoji6]

I put an extra plate on top like a lid, more because I don't like the thought of carrying open food around, with all the coughers [emoji85]

If I wanted to do this on a frequent basis I would either order room service breakfast and keep a couple of plastic covers or take some folded foil.

I do always take empty freezer and sandwich bags on a cruise, I find they come in handy for all sorts of stuff and always get used, so the odd cheese roll could go in one of those. That's what I like about Britannia - grab'n'go.

Each to their own but I'd rather pay the room service charge than have the hassle and room service food is usually quite nice.

Great idea about the sandwich bags,never thought of that before but will take them in future.Cheers.

I'm a culprit but i thought i was helping room service and cabin steward by leaving tray outside as it is much easier for me to leave it in the cabin.

Great idea about the sandwich bags,never thought of that before but will take them in future.Cheers.

I also bring some of the reusable lunch meat containers for use at Half Moon Cay, but they would also work for this. Fill em up, grab plates and silverware, tote bag back to the room.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree there isn't much room but they ask you to leave the tray outside when you order room service[emoji53]

I end up using (but not reusing) them for so many things, from separating currency to putting chocolates from the speciality restaurants in when I'm stuffed [emoji3]