Update on being "Bumped" from Celebrity cruise

p18750

I wanted to let people know how my trip came out after I wasnotified I was being “bumped” from my Celebrity cruise due to overbooking.

As some of you might remember from another thread I wasnotified by my travel agent on Tuesday that my wife and I had been “bumped”from our assigned cabin on the Celebritycruise leaving from Miami the following Sunday (we were scheduled to fly fromPhx to Mia on Saturday). In addition there were no cabins available on thecruise so we would not be able to take the cruise. Celebrity offered to refundall of our money including my deposit and refund my air reservations madethrough ChoiceAir even though it was well past the refund date.

This was not a good solution since we had planned two weeksof travel in Scotland after our cruise arrived in Southampton and many of ourreservations were not refundable. After learning this, my travel agent workedwith Celebrity to find a solution. On Wed Celebrity was able to find us a cabinand our trip was back on. I posted this update on the original thread but lateron Wed I received another notice that our cruise was cancelled. I did not knowif the second cancellation was related to my posting but I decided not to postuntil the trip was completed. In any case I contacted my travel agent and hewas able to get the cabin re-assigned to us on Thurs and assured us we would beon the cruise.

So in the end while we were not in our original cabin we didget a cabin and had a great cruise and a wonderful time in Scotland. In addition Celebrity gave us a significantrefund on our cruise. So while I think Celebrity handled the situation poorlyinitially, they did work well with our travel agent and we were very happy withthe end result.

Thank you for the update. You win all the things for being so patient and reasonable in the face of the very unfortunate situation in which you were placed. The next time I read a flaming post about tiny problems (e.g. they didn't have my favorite booze! My bed wasn't made before my noon nap!) instead of shaking my head or rolling my eyes, instead, I'll smile, because there are people like you, Scott and Shelly. 😍

Never knew that the Cruise Lines OVERBOOK like the Air Lines. First time I heard of that. Glad they took care of you!!!
I never did either and in all my over 45 (probably 50 by now) cruises, I've only had one cancelled because of a charter. I thought I read that when they are overbooked, they ask if you want to take compensation to give up your cabin and if not, they go on to someone else. Guess this wasn't the case with the OP.

Oh my, what a frustrating experience! What I am really curious about is how Celebrity, when they discover they have overbooked, decide who they will boot. I mean do they keep the folks highest in loyalty tiers or the folks who have the oldest reservations and boot the most recent or keep the folks who have bought several packages or what? I would really like to know their criteria.

I'm really glad things worked out well for the OP in the end, but they must have had some anxiety for awhile.

Oh my, what a frustrating experience! What I am really curious about is how Celebrity, when they discover they have overbooked, decide who they will boot. I mean do they keep the folks highest in loyalty tiers or the folks who have the oldest reservations and boot the most recent or keep the folks who have bought several packages or what? I would really like to know their criteria.

I'm really glad things worked out well for the OP in the end, but they must have had some anxiety for awhile.

If I had to guess I'd say they boot the people who paid the lowest fares in a particular class. Others have suggested they look for locals who may not have airfare, etc. although that certainly was not the cases here since OP was flying from Phoenix. Hope I never personally find out.

Definitely! As a solo cruiser, I fear that generally I would be first on the "chopping block" so to speak - and add that my scheduled Celebrity cruise will be my first on X (though I have reciprocity with RCCL) that could bump me further up the list. BUT, I hope that since I'm in a solo cabin on the Edge that would put me very far down on the list since it's not like I'm "taking up space" that more people could occupy since I'm in a cabin DESIGNED for one person!

OP, I'm VERY glad that things worked out for you!!

Overbooking happens. Happened to us on Royal Caribbean, notified Friday for the following Sunday departure. We were offered an inside cabin in place of the outside deluxe balcony - which, according to the website required an additional payment of over $400 and was totally unacceptable. After four hours with resolutions we could keep the inside cabin for taxes and tips, with refund or we could book a later date - and pay more for - a lesser cabin. Having stressed the addional payment was unfair, RCL comped us non refundable OBC to move the cruise.

Princess has a move over option when overbooking happens. We did get a phone request (received message left on home phone on our return from the cruise) for a similar offer from HAL.

Before we leave our house, my husband now asks if we still have a cabin!

Overbooking happens. Happened to us on Royal Caribbean, notified Friday for the following Sunday departure. We were offered an inside cabin in place of the outside deluxe balcony - which, according to the website required an additional payment of over $400 and was totally unacceptable. After four hours with resolutions we could keep the inside cabin for taxes and tips, with refund or we could book a later date - and pay more for - a lesser cabin. Having stressed the addional payment was unfair, RCL comped us non refundable OBC to move the cruise.

Princess has a move over option when overbooking happens. We did get a phone request (received message left on home phone on our return from the cruise) for a similar offer from HAL.

Before we leave our house, my husband now asks if we still have a cabin!

Overbooking happens but it appears that RC and Celebrity are far less generous then Carnival and its brands .