Laundry

terryndonna

We leave in mid-October for a cruise on the Veendam. I understand there is a self-serve laundry on board. I think I read that the machines take American quarters. Anyone know cost to wash, dry? Is it so busy that it is difficult to run a load? I don't want to spend my holiday doing laundry but look forward to having clean clothes!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a one time "stuff a bag" option for $20. You can get a LOT in these bags. It is well worth the slight difference in paying to do it yourself PLUS taking up your cruise time. No one should have to do laundry on a cruise (unless they are working on the ship -- LOL).

There is a one time "stuff a bag" option for $20.

The $20 "stuff a bag" is daily (with a stop a couple of days before the end of the cruise, so it can be returned in time to pack), not once per cruise.

It's a higher rate in Europe.

If I needed to have my nicer, evening, clothes washed, I would prefer to do it myself. Daywear can be sent out, but not my better clothes.

We leave in mid-October for a cruise on the Veendam. I understand there is a self-serve laundry on board. I think I read that the machines take American quarters. Anyone know cost to wash, dry? Is it so busy that it is difficult to run a load? I don't want to spend my holiday doing laundry but look forward to having clean clothes!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP: I believe we will be cruising with you on Veendam, Oct 20th departure. Maybe we will meet in the laundry?

On ships that have laundry rooms on 2 different decks (not sure if Veendam does), I have found that the one on the lower deck is usually busier than the one on the upper decks. My theory is that the suites people get free laundry and are less likely to use the washer/dryers. We could get free laundry now, but my guess is you will find me bop in and out of the laundry room, and have my clean clothes back in less than 2 hours. The front desk will give you quarters for the machines... well they give you quarters for dollars, not for free ;p. See you real soon. m--

There is a one time "stuff a bag" option for $20. You can get a LOT in these bags. It is well worth the slight difference in paying to do it yourself PLUS taking up your cruise time. No one should have to do laundry on a cruise (unless they are working on the ship -- LOL).

When I became a four star mariner I didn't want someone else doing my laundry and I didn't want anything shrunk. However, a few cruises later I did send our my laundry. What a fool I was for not doing this sooner. It came back in a wicker basket lined with tissue paper. And everything was just perfect. Now I send out a few bags every cruise. If only I had this service at home:D

When I became a four star mariner I didn't want someone else doing my laundry and I didn't want anything shrunk. However, a few cruises later I did send our my laundry. What a fool I was for not doing this sooner. It came back in a wicker basket lined with tissue paper. And everything was just perfect. Now I send out a few bags every cruise. If only I had this service at home:D

Perhaps I will try it this cruise for some items, thanks for the encouragement. m--

The $20 "stuff a bag" is daily (with a stop a couple of days before the end of the cruise, so it can be returned in time to pack), not once per cruise.

It's a higher rate in Europe.

If I needed to have my nicer, evening, clothes washed, I would prefer to do it myself. Daywear can be sent out, but not my better clothes.

Ruth, thank you for correcting my confusing post. I meant that the $20 covers a one time use of the bag. It is available every day (with the stop a couple of days before the end of the cruise) but my post made it seem like it was only available one time! Good catch!

Ruth, thank you for correcting my confusing post. I meant that the $20 covers a one time use of the bag. It is available every day (with the stop a couple of days before the end of the cruise) but my post made it seem like it was only available one time! Good catch!

It was $30 for one bag or $90 for the entire cruise on the Westerdam in August in Europe.

The HAL ships I have been on charged $2 also for dryers not $1.

I just want to encourage the use of the "bag of laundry" offer for $20-30. This spring we were on a TA and I wanted to have clean clothes for the land portion of our trip after the cruise ended. I headed to the laundry on our deck at about 9 a.m. Well, that one was full--I tried the next deck--out of order--next deck--finally found an available machine. To make a long story short, it took most of the morning and by the time I was finished and ready to see the port (we had been there before) no taxis or busses were around. We visited the gift shop at the port--and took a picture! Totally a waste of a good day. Pay for the laundry--and enjoy your cruise!