The staff really give a "dam"

3rdGenCunarder

I'm not certain what happened. One second I was standing on the dock and the next second I was standing in water up to my shoulders. I smacked my back against the dock as I fell, which caused deep muscle bruises and some rather spectacular surface bruises, too. No broken bones, didn't hit my head, so that's a blessing.

I get annoyed with posters who whine and try to place blame on someone or something. I have to own my carelessness. I wasn't paying attention, and I think I reached for something in the plane and ended up in the water. The vendor's staff were great. I think they were scared I was hurt worse than I was.

Yikes!

But glad you're ok.

I;m with you on ownership of carelessness. Been there done that! LOL

(I walked into a flagpole when I was young and stupid ... my 1st bloody nose, and since then I keep my eyes focused in front of me! :eek:)

I'm so happy t hear you are recovering from you accident and that you received such excellent care. I assume from the following:

Every time the cabin stewards and concierges saw me, they asked if I was feeling better, did I need anything. The next day the concierges sent me a fruit plate. I guess they noticed that I was always taking a dish of fruit at the lounge in mornings and wanted me to have my favorite snack without a trip to the lounge."

that you were in a Neptune Suite since the concierges were so familiar with your routine. Just wondering if anyone who has not been in a Neptune Suite were able to get this wonderful service. I don't fault the concierges for their care, just wondering what someone who is not in a Neptune Suite would be able to get care.

I was not in a suite, but was very impressed by the attention I received several years ago on the Statendam after my foot went into a sand crab hole on a South Pacific island. My stewards came by every 30 minutes or so to see if I needed anything and bring me fresh ice for my badly swollen foot and ankle, and showed their concern even when I started limping around again. They’re just the best!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cabin stewards would probably have run errands for someone not in a Neptune Suite. I didn't rely on the concierges as much as I might have because we don't usually get concierge accommodations in hotels, or on other cruise lines. I'm very DIY and don't think of asking for help.

Funny thing is I know someone who always gets a suite on a cruise in case she gets sick--she doesn't want to be stuck in a small room all day. She doesn't have health issues, she has this "just in case" thing about wanting to have a nice space to be confined in.

See my post (#20 on this thread). I was in an inside cabin and also got the wonderful treatment. Maybe the fruit plate was because of a concierge but I believe it's just the HAL crew's way of doing things..... maybe because they are smaller ships, maybe their training???

See my post (#20 on this thread). I was in an inside cabin and also got the wonderful treatment. Maybe the fruit plate was because of a concierge but I believe it's just the HAL crew's way of doing things..... maybe because they are smaller ships, maybe their training???

I think it's their training. It's HAL's "house style" for any staff you meet around the ship to greet you with a smile. If the stewards in the hall are yours, they greet you by name. But even the ones that don't know you always say good morning or good afternoon. I think the friendliness is contagious. Passengers usually say hello when passing in a hallway.

I think it's their training. It's HAL's "house style" for any staff you meet around the ship to greet you with a smile. If the stewards in the hall are yours, they greet you by name. But even the ones that don't know you always say good morning or good afternoon. I think the friendliness is contagious. Passengers usually say hello when passing in a hallway.

We were very impressed with the friendliness of the stewards on our first HAL cruise. The dress my DW intended to wear on the first formal night came out of her suitcase wrinkled. She sent it out. Not only our cabin's steward came over to inquire after it came back was everything now ok, but it seemed every steward on the floor came to express their hope that all was now well.

I don't disagree that HAL's staff expectations and training is part of the friendliness that we experience on a HAL vessel. I'd suggest that what training these good people receive only augments what is due to the staff's nationalities.

I have found the entire crew and staff on HAL to be genuinely concerned and very helpful of people who need assistance, and it is a major reason why we sail with them.

We took my 85 year old Mother on a cruise and she was injured the day before we boarded. The HAL rep at our hotel went far above and beyond to assist us in getting a wheelchair arranged for the week and in getting us onboard. Once there, many crew members were very attentive to my mother and really made he feel special despite her injury.

I made a point to write a nice letter to HAL corporate detailing this and everyone's name.

Keep it up HAL!

It is so very heartwarming to see so many Posts from CCers acknowledging the quality, helpfulness, professionalism and friendliness of HAL staff, both on board its ships and at ports of call, as well as at its HQ in Seattle. We are 100% loyal HAL cruisers in large part because of these very factors, and we make certain to reflect our feelings both in our post-cruise survey responses and in occasional letters to HAL HQ. So here's a big "Thank You" to HAL and its staff.

Smooth sailing (y) (y) (y)