First cruise, first impressions ...

ArtsyCraftsy

Your sunny day photos are sublime. Enjoy. There is nothing like the cruise life! We are looking forward to a South American trip in a couple of months. Can't wait to float through Glacier Alley. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Things have calmed down a lot, although the wind is back up. Tonight was Gala Night #2, and the menu was again sublime. I had a pineapple prawn cocktail w/ sweet chili aioli, date and goat cheese salad, lamb en croutes w/ merlot reduction &a veggies. Dessert was double chocolate cheesecake. Nice table companions, too. I'm very happy I went with "anytime" seating for meals. I've met a lot of very interesting people and we're only halfway through the trip.

Yes, I definitely could get used to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Today's excitement: we had a fire!

The first of the three alarms sounded. No one had said anything about a crew practice (we just had one in Juneau that was announced beforehand), so I figured it was the real thing. I knew to stay put until the third alarm, so didn't panic. We're parked at the dock in Anchorage, so I knew it wasn't something like an iceberg or collision.

Someone got on the speaker to say they had detected a fire on "level C," followed a few seconds later by an announcement that the watertight doors were closing and the crew should "stand clear."

About 10 minutes later, Captain Jonathan announced that there was, indeed, a small fire in one of the engine rooms, and everything was fine now.

Tonight is dinner again in Canaletto -- really looking forward to it! It's been an overcast rainy cool day in Anchorage. Off to Homer at 10:30 tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad you're having a great time ! I've been checking out Canaletto too for when we're on the Eurodam next Feb. what's your favorite thing there?

So far, everything I've had has been wonderful! If I had to choose one dish that I could eat over and over without getting tired of it, it would be the Ravioli al Gamberi -- garlic shrimp ravioli with lobster brandy cream sauce ("large plate" entree). Sheer heaven on a plate! My second choice would be Veal and Sage Polpettine with glazed cipollini onions and rustic tomato sauce (appetizer). They have a decent wine list, too, including some very nice by-the-glass options priced very reasonably ($6 - $9 per glass).

I'm going to try to book one more Canaletto meal before the cruise ends -- I need to try the Vitella al Forno -- prosciutto-wrapped veal tenderloin, artichoke purée, asparagus, oven-braised potatoes, Barolo sauce. Or the Branzino -- may have to flip a coin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm having way too much fun on this trip! I feel like I need another week or so to really get a feel for life onboard.

Today was the second wine tasting that was included in the wine package I purchased. This was "premium" wines, available only in the Pinnacle Grill. Small group of passengers-- maybe 15 or so-- and our sommelier was from South Africa. Super experience!

Had another crew lifeboat drill today. Overcast, rainy, cold in Kodiak. Tomorrow it's Hubbard Glacier. Captain Jonathan wants to get us there a little earlier than planned so we'll have more time for photos.c0c527896a3f50891a24c7121b608523.jpg

I'm already considering a repeat if this cruise, probably in 2019 -- there's so much to see and no way to do it with just one day in port.2280651d2665a3f999b60933c96b4d13.jpg