Westerdam Venice to Rome 25th August - 8th September 2017

Glasgow Cruiser

First time poster and thought I would write a review to share my experiences on my first HAL cruise. This was my 11th cruise and have previously sailed with Cunard, P&O, RCI, NCL, Thomsons and Celebrity.

Booked a post cruise hotel in Venice and transfer to hotel was flawless. We were met at airport by a HAL representative who took our luggage to the water taxi station for our transfer to the Hotel Bonnevechia. Hotel was clean and comfortable and we had an enjoyable evening in Venice before transferring to the ship the following day. Embarkation was seamless and easy and we were in our cabin (8005) 45 minutes after we checked in at the cruise terminal.

Our cabin was spotless, comfortable and spacious and we were impressed by the size of our balcony. We received excellent service throughout from our cabin stewards and our first impressions of the ship were very favorable. The public areas were modern and comfortable and all areas were cleaned to a very high standard.

I had read some negative reviews prior to going on the ship but people have different perceptions and opinions and we decided to approach the cruise with an open mind and were determined to enjoy ourselves after having paid a considerable sum of money for our holiday. I will attempt to give an honest and accurate summary of my thoughts and feelings about various aspects of the cruise and will be happy to try and answer any questions. It is likely to be a lengthy review so will probably post in segments.

Bars and Entertainment

As a 59 year old man, my clubbing days are well past me, but based on some of the reviews I had read, I was initially concerned that there may not be enough going on to keep me occupied. This proved to be unfounded...

We had pre-purchased the signature beverage package but upgraded to elite on the 2nd day of the voyage, mainly to get access to a better selection of wine by the glass in the main restaurant and as we had 2 glasses of champagne a day at $15 per glass, it paid for itself. Days at sea were spent at the adult only pool and bar service was excellent and there was always a bar server available to take an order. Pool service was much better than I have experienced on previous cruises.

We always had pre dinner drinks at the ocean bar or pinnacle bar (both of these bars closed early) and after dinner we would alternate between Billboard and BB Kings with an occasional drink at the Gallery bar. Billboard was probably my favorite and we received excellent service from a young female bar server who went out of her way to provide excellent service. An excellent choice of wines, spirits, cocktails and beers were available at all bars though beer on tap was only available from the gallery bar.

The Crows Nest is in a prime location on the ship although this bar was always very quiet. I thought that better use could have been made of this space and in my view this should have been one of the main entertainment hubs on the ship. (Just my opinion though).

All of the bar staff work incredibly hard, are very efficient and usually have a smile on their face. we always received excellent service in all the bars we used.

We really enjoyed the 2 pianists in Billboard who usually performed 2-3 times a night. They were both very talented musicians, playing their own selections in the earlier part of the evening and playing requests on demand in the latter part of the evening. They both interacted well with each other and created a nice ambience.

The band in BB Kings were also excellent and played 3 sets per night. After their final set music was played on a loop and several guests made full use of the dance floor (myself and partner included). A DJ would probably have helped to create more atmosphere though.

Only went to one show in the main stage as the majority of shows did not suit our taste (its all about opinions) though the show we did attend was very professional and the singers and dancers were very good.

Entertainment was more low key from what I have experienced on other cruise lines but was still excellent and suited our tastes. Enough to keep us occupied and we usually retired to our cabins between midnight and 1am.

Food and Dining

We dined in the main restaurant most evenings (second sitting) and received excellent service from our servers and wine waiter. Our waiters were very attentive to our needs, engaged with us and made recommendations in respect of food choices. Perceptions of food can be personal and subjective but we thought the choice and quality of food available was excellent and we were never stuck for choices. We were very satisfied in this respect. We also dined twice at Canalletto and the quality of food and standard of service in this restaurant was excellent and represented good value for the modest cover charge of $15.

We ordered room service for breakfast on 4 occasions and food was delivered on time and was always warm. Every time we ordered room service we received a call from customer services to check if food had arrived on time and that we were happy with the quality.

I am not usually a fan of buffet food but the Lido Buffet was the best I have experienced at sea. It is organized in sections in sections with salad bar, pasta station, Asian fusion and a carvery offering a variety of cooked meats. Hygiene is exemplary and food is served to you at the counter by a server. It can get crowded at lunchtime on sea days but this was never a problem for us. There was also a very good choice at breakfast with fresh omelette being made to order.

On the downside, use of the sanitizing hand wash at the entrance to the Lido Buffet was not strictly enforced and I observed a number of guests entering the buffet without washing their hands.

Thought the Dive In Burger station was excellent and easy to use with a great choice of burgers and dogs. Limited myself to 5 visits to this section to try and preserve my ever expanding waistline :).

Overall we were extremely happy with the quality, range and standard of food on the ship.

More to follow....

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have quite a few sailing days on the Westerdam -- all be before her make-over.

The Crow's Nest used to be very busy as the library was located there and the coffee bar was separate from the alcohol bar. Lots of seats to sit and watch the view.

There used to be a DJ when the Northern Lights was on the ship -- all gone.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Looking forward to more.

First time poster and thought I would write a review to share my experiences on my first HAL cruise. This was my 11th cruise and have previously sailed with Cunard, P&O, RCI, NCL, Thomsons and Celebrity.

Booked a post cruise hotel in Venice and transfer to hotel was flawless. We were met at airport by a HAL representative who took our luggage to the water taxi station for our transfer to the Hotel Bonnevechia. Hotel was clean and comfortable and we had an enjoyable evening in Venice before transferring to the ship the following day. Embarkation was seamless and easy and we were in our cabin (8005) 45 minutes after we checked in at the cruise terminal.

Our cabin was spotless, comfortable and spacious and we were impressed by the size of our balcony. We received excellent service throughout from our cabin stewards and our first impressions of the ship were very favorable. The public areas were modern and comfortable and all areas were cleaned to a very high standard.

I had read some negative reviews prior to going on the ship but people have different perceptions and opinions and we decided to approach the cruise with an open mind and were determined to enjoy ourselves after having paid a considerable sum of money for our holiday. I will attempt to give an honest and accurate summary of my thoughts and feelings about various aspects of the cruise and will be happy to try and answer any questions. It is likely to be a lengthy review so will probably post in segments.

Bars and Entertainment

As a 59 year old man, my clubbing days are well past me, but based on some of the reviews I had read, I was initially concerned that there may not be enough going on to keep me occupied. This proved to be unfounded...

We had pre-purchased the signature beverage package but upgraded to elite on the 2nd day of the voyage, mainly to get access to a better selection of wine by the glass in the main restaurant and as we had 2 glasses of champagne a day at $15 per glass, it paid for itself. Days at sea were spent at the adult only pool and bar service was excellent and there was always a bar server available to take an order. Pool service was much better than I have experienced on previous cruises.

We always had pre dinner drinks at the ocean bar or pinnacle bar (both of these bars closed early) and after dinner we would alternate between Billboard and BB Kings with an occasional drink at the Gallery bar. Billboard was probably my favorite and we received excellent service from a young female bar server who went out of her way to provide excellent service. An excellent choice of wines, spirits, cocktails and beers were available at all bars though beer on tap was only available from the gallery bar.

The Crows Nest is in a prime location on the ship although this bar was always very quiet. I thought that better use could have been made of this space and in my view this should have been one of the main entertainment hubs on the ship. (Just my opinion though).

All of the bar staff work incredibly hard, are very efficient and usually have a smile on their face. we always received excellent service in all the bars we used.

We really enjoyed the 2 pianists in Billboard who usually performed 2-3 times a night. They were both very talented musicians, playing their own selections in the earlier part of the evening and playing requests on demand in the latter part of the evening. They both interacted well with each other and created a nice ambience.

The band in BB Kings were also excellent and played 3 sets per night. After their final set music was played on a loop and several guests made full use of the dance floor (myself and partner included). A DJ would probably have helped to create more atmosphere though.

Only went to one show in the main stage as the majority of shows did not suit our taste (its all about opinions) though the show we did attend was very professional and the singers and dancers were very good.

Entertainment was more low key from what I have experienced on other cruise lines but was still excellent and suited our tastes. Enough to keep us occupied and we usually retired to our cabins between midnight and 1am.

Food and Dining

We dined in the main restaurant most evenings (second sitting) and received excellent service from our servers and wine waiter. Our waiters were very attentive to our needs, engaged with us and made recommendations in respect of food choices. Perceptions of food can be personal and subjective but we thought the choice and quality of food available was excellent and we were never stuck for choices. We were very satisfied in this respect. We also dined twice at Canalletto and the quality of food and standard of service in this restaurant was excellent and represented good value for the modest cover charge of $15.

We ordered room service for breakfast on 4 occasions and food was delivered on time and was always warm. Every time we ordered room service we received a call from customer services to check if food had arrived on time and that we were happy with the quality.

I am not usually a fan of buffet food but the Lido Buffet was the best I have experienced at sea. It is organized in sections in sections with salad bar, pasta station, Asian fusion and a carvery offering a variety of cooked meats. Hygiene is exemplary and food is served to you at the counter by a server. It can get crowded at lunchtime on sea days but this was never a problem for us. There was also a very good choice at breakfast with fresh omelette being made to order.

On the downside, use of the sanitizing hand wash at the entrance to the Lido Buffet was not strictly enforced and I observed a number of guests entering the buffet without washing their hands.

Thought the Dive In Burger station was excellent and easy to use with a great choice of burgers and dogs. Limited myself to 5 visits to this section to try and preserve my ever expanding waistline :).

Overall we were extremely happy with the quality, range and standard of food on the ship.

More to follow....

Ports

We do not usually do cruise excursions organized by the cruise company as we prefer to do our own thing. 3 of the ports we visited were tender ports: Sarande, Katakolon and Napflion. HAL were very efficient at getting people off the ships in tender ports and after the cruise excursion passengers had disembarked it reverted to an open tender service, usually by 9.30/10.00am.

First port of call was Sarande in Albania and this was a new port for us and was also a pleasant surprise. The locals are very friendly and most of them speak English. We spent a pleasant few hours strolling along the promenade, exploring the market stalls and having lunch. Euros are widely accepted and expect to pay just over a Euro for a beer. Lunch in one of the better seafront restaurants consisted of Caesar salad and grilled jumbo prawns. Throw in a couple of drinks and the bill came to 30 Euros. The beach was busy and some watersports were available. Its a bit underdeveloped as a tourist resort but I expect this will change over the next few years. Taxis are available at the port entrance and drivers will take you to where you want to go for a modest fee.

Next port was Argostili and it was a pleasant walk into town from the port. Nice promenade lined with bars and cafes and the main shopping area is one street back from the front. There are a good range of shops selling international goods and local crafts. Taxis and local buses are available to take you further afield if you prefer to do your own thing.

Next port was Katakolon which consists of one main street and a selection of shops and restaurants. Not much to see unless you go further afield and Olympia is a popular trip. Weather was not great when we arrived and Thunder and lightning gave way to a torrential downpour, resulting in local shops doing a roaring trade in selling umbrellas :).

Next up was Napflion which was another new port for us and another pleasant surprise. It is a short walk from the ship to the picturesque old town with its pretty pedestrianized streets, nice squares and a vast range of quirky shops selling local craft items. We spent a pleasant few hours exploring the old town and had a really nice Greek lunch in a small Taverna away from the main drag. The town was quiet making it easy to explore, though we were told that it gets busy at the weekend. Really enjoyed our time in the pretty, laid back old town.

Next stop was Athens where the ship was berthed for 2 days. We did not get off the ship as we have been here 3 times previously and spent 2 lazy days lounging by the pool and enjoying the peace and space.

Bars and Entertainment

Food and Dining

More to follow....

Ports

We do not usually do cruise excursions organized by the cruise company as we prefer to do our own thing. 3 of the ports we visited were tender ports: Sarande, Katakolon and Napflion. HAL were very efficient at getting people off the ships in tender ports and after the cruise excursion passengers had disembarked it reverted to an open tender service, usually by 9.30/10.00am.

First port of call was Sarande in Albania and this was a new port for us and was also a pleasant surprise. The locals are very friendly and most of them speak English. We spent a pleasant few hours strolling along the promenade, exploring the market stalls and having lunch. Euros are widely accepted and expect to pay just over a Euro for a beer. Lunch in one of the better seafront restaurants consisted of Caesar salad and grilled jumbo prawns. Throw in a couple of drinks and the bill came to 30 Euros. The beach was busy and some watersports were available. Its a bit underdeveloped as a tourist resort but I expect this will change over the next few years. Taxis are available at the port entrance and drivers will take you to where you want to go for a modest fee.

Next port was Argostili and it was a pleasant walk into town from the port. Nice promenade lined with bars and cafes and the main shopping area is one street back from the front. There are a good range of shops selling international goods and local crafts. Taxis and local buses are available to take you further afield if you prefer to do your own thing.

Next port was Katakolon which consists of one main street and a selection of shops and restaurants. Not much to see unless you go further afield and Olympia is a popular trip. Weather was not great when we arrived and Thunder and lightning gave way to a torrential downpour, resulting in local shops doing a roaring trade in selling umbrellas :).

Next up was Napflion which was another new port for us and another pleasant surprise. It is a short walk from the ship to the picturesque old town with its pretty pedestrianized streets, nice squares and a vast range of quirky shops selling local craft items. We spent a pleasant few hours exploring the old town and had a really nice Greek lunch in a small Taverna away from the main drag. The town was quiet making it easy to explore, though we were told that it gets busy at the weekend. Really enjoyed our time in the pretty, laid back old town.

Next stop was Athens where the ship was berthed for 2 days. We did not get off the ship as we have been here 3 times previously and spent 2 lazy days lounging by the pool and enjoying the peace and space.

Next stop was the beautiful Greek island of Mykonos. HAL laid on a free shuttle bus service which dropped you close to Mykonos Town. The town was very busy as it is a popular tourist resort and the pretty cobbled streets can become very crowded. There is a vast range of designer shops and jewelers. There are plenty of bars and restaurants though you do pay premium prices for bars with a sea view. Expect to pay 8 euros for a beer and 16 euros for a cocktail. The best restaurants are in the harbor area. The ship left port at 8.30 pm and next stop was Rhodes Town.

Rhodes Old Town is a 5 minute walk from the port and is contained within the old fortress walls. It was very warm and busy with a vast array of shops selling local craft products, leather goods and jewellery. Prices are very reasonable and the bars and restaurants were very busy. Competition is fierce in the main square and main streets and bar/restaurant owners will try and entice you into their establishments. Things are a bit quieter when you venture off the main drag and there are a good selection of Greek taverna's offering traditional and international food at reasonable prices. There is also a small beach just outside the old town.

Next stop was the stunning island of Santorini. The port of Thira does not have the infrastructure to cope with 3 ships arriving in port of the same day. You can access Thira by cable car, by donkey or by climbing almost 700 steps to the top. The line for the cable car was not too bad at the bottom end and I only had to wait 30 minutes before I was seated in one of the 6 gondolas. The cable car can only accommodate 36 passengers at any one time. Thira was very hot and crowded but I soon cooled down after a cold beer at one of the cliff top bars which offer magnificent views across the sea. After doing some shopping I headed back for the cable car at 1.30 pm. I hit a sea of bodies 300m from the cable car station and quickly realized that this was the end of the line. The street was very crowded and a lot of pushing and jostling was going on. Arguments broke out when some people decided to try and skip the line. I had to wait in line for 2 hours before getting to the bottom again. This was my 3rd time in Santorini and I have never seen it so crowded. It is my favorite Greek island though and sometimes you just have to go with the flow....

We then had a day at sea as we set sail for Naples. I had been there before and spent the day exploring the city and this time we decided that we wanted to see the Amalfi coast. We had pre booked a private tour and had a fantastic 8 hour trip, stopping off at Ravello, Amalfi and Positano. We stopped off for lunch at a lovely rustic restaurant in the mountains and had a marvelous 3 course lunch and a bottle of prosecco for 60 euros. The food was amazing and the magnificent views added to the ambience and experience. The cloud and rain in Naples did not spoil our enjoyment and we were dropped off back at the ship at 4.30pm. The sights and experience of the beautiful Amalfi coast will remain in our memories for a long time.

We made the most of our last night before disembarking in Rome the following day.

The disembarkation process was flawless and we were off the ship at 9.15am. A party off officers and staff were waiting at the dock to wish us goodbye. A nice touch which we appreciated. We arrived at Rome airport at 10.30am and our flight to Heathrow and connecting flight to Edinburgh were both delayed by an hour. We arrived home safely but unfortunately our luggage was lost in transit but safely delivered the following evening. These things happen and we did not let it detract from our cruise experience.

Summary

We both had a fantastic cruise experience and loved every minute of it. I have no real negative experiences to comment on and I thought the service provided by all staff we encountered was excellent. I thought that HAL was a bit more up market and more laid back than some of the other mainstream cruise lines I have sailed with. My only one slight disappointment was with the range of shops onboard which I thought were poorer in comparison to other cruise lines but it wasn't a big deal for me. There was a good mix of passengers from couples in their 30,s and upwards. There were a few children and well behaved teenagers on board. The gala nights were also very good and the dress code was strictly observed with lots of passengers wearing tuxedos, suits and sports jackets with trousers, with the ladies tending to wear long dresses, cocktail dresses or smart trousers and tops.

This was my first cruise with HAL but it certainly wont be last. So thank you HAL for exceeding our expectations and giving us a fantastic cruise experience.

Well your review is perfect proof that cruises are subjective. You dispelled most of the complaining previous posts I have read. Not sure why anyone would spend that kind of money only to complain about almost everything. We sail on her in a few months and will expect a cruise as wonderful as yours sounded.

Thira was very hot and crowded but I soon cooled down after a cold beer at one of the cliff top bars which offer magnificent views across the sea. After doing some shopping I headed back for the cable car at 1.30 pm.

We have a cruising tradition of a beer in every port - DH collects the bottle lids and tosses them in a big jar at home. Do you recall the name of the cliff top bar you stopped at in Thira? We were there years ago, but have no recollection where we stopped for a beer, but know it had spectacular views of the sea.

I'm glad to hear you had a great first cruise on Holland America; it probably won't be long until you're on another dam ship.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Well your review is perfect proof that cruises are subjective. You dispelled most of the complaining previous posts I have read. Not sure why anyone would spend that kind of money only to complain about almost everything. We sail on her in a few months and will expect a cruise as wonderful as yours sounded.

I have never experienced a bad cruise. There have been some cruises where we have experienced minor niggles but never enough to spoil my enjoyment of a cruise. If you look hard enough you will always find something to complain about. Life is too short and its easier and much more fun to be positive :)