New Navigator and Admiral Wine Packages

SJSULIBRARIAN

Here are the wines available in the new Wine Packages. I don't recall the old prices so don't know if these are higher. The regular wine menu has some new choices as does the Pinnacle Grill. The usual 15% gratuity applies to the full price no matter the discount for 3, 4, and 5 star Mariners.

Navigator’s Choice

3 bottles $89.00

5 bottles $149.00

7 bottles $ 199.00

White Wine

Piedra Megra Torrontes, Argentina

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Italy

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, California

Danzante Moscato, Italy

Red Wine

Puerto Viejo Carmenere, Chile

Frescobaldi Remole, Italy

Chateau des Trois Tours Bordeaux, France

Deakin Estate Shiraz, Australia

Los Riscos Merlot, Chile

Tapena Tempranillo, Spain

Deakin Estate Pinot Noir, Australia

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Admiral’s Choice

3 bottles $119.00

5 bottles $199.00

7 bottles $269.00

White Wine

Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, California

Grace Lane Riesling, Washington

Estancia Pinot Grigio, California

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Franciscan “Equilibrium” White Blend, California

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France

Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, California

Red Wine

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, California

Wente “Sandstone” Merlot, California

Estancia Pinot Noir, California

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Italy

Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina

Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec, Argentina

Wente “Beyer Ranch” Zinfandel, California

Bummer, last week I printed the Navigator selection and headed to my local liquor store. I really liked the three Blind Moose red they had ... not on the new list .... so much for my overplanning :rolleyes: and yes, it's higher

Edited by missmom2cruise
addition

Is this new wine package list fleet wide? The old lists and their higher prices are still on the "Indulgences" page as of Sept 15.

Blah .... all 4 of our favorites are on the Admirals list rather than like before on the Navigators - for an additional $68. We're not big wine experts - we just enjoy a couple of glasses occasionally at home or at dinner on cruises.

I'll do some comparing the next few weeks. Maybe this list will at least be less of a gouge. I don't usually fuss about the cost of anything extra on a ship but last week I bought a bottle of Berringers Zin at the grocery for $5 bottle where on HAL it was on the room service list at $42.50 for 750ml (or roughly $10 a glass ):cool: To me that was a bit much of a mark-up.

Dang .... I can get a bottle of Crown Royal room service for $48.50:)

Sorry if I sound whiney :D

Bummer, last week I printed the Navigator selection and headed to my local liquor store. I really liked the three Blind Moose red they had ... not on the new list .... so much for my overplanning :rolleyes: and yes, it's higher

I too print out the wine package list then hit World Market and a couple of other stores to see if I can find same vineyards for the ones we might like to sample at a more reasonable price.

LOL ... I don't feel so bad if I don't like it that way :D

Thanks for posting the new list. I read it over and looked up the wines. I must say that I am very excited! Excited that I live in Fort Lauderdale and can bring my own wine & pay corkage. ;)

Inexplicably the 5 bottle packages cost more per bottle than the 3 bottle ones.

Navigator’s Choice

3 bottles $89.00 = $29.67/btl

5 bottles $149.00 = $29.80/btl

7 bottles $ 199.00 = $28.42/btl

Admiral’s Choice

3 bottles $119.00 = $39.67/btl

5 bottles $199.00 = $39.80/btl

7 bottles $269.00 = $38.42./btl

Perhaps they're counting on poor math skills...

Thanks for posting the new list. I read it over and looked up the wines. I must say that I am very excited! Excited that I live in Fort Lauderdale and can bring my own wine & pay corkage. ;)

Inexplicably the 5 bottle packages cost more per bottle than the 3 bottle ones.

Navigator’s Choice

3 bottles $89.00 = $29.67/btl

5 bottles $149.00 = $29.80/btl

7 bottles $ 199.00 = $28.42/btl

Admiral’s Choice

3 bottles $119.00 = $39.67/btl

5 bottles $199.00 = $39.80/btl

7 bottles $269.00 = $38.42./btl

Perhaps they're counting on poor math skills...

POA1- I think this calls for some additional research by your team.

It appears they finally took my suggestion and removed all wines that include animals in the name/label from the package. If animals are needed to sell the bottle, that is never a good sign. Hooray, there is hope for better bottles!

Is this new wine package list fleet wide? The old lists and their higher prices are still on the "Indulgences" page as of Sept 15.

:D

I did not ask but I assume it is fleet wide or soon will be. I think that the HAL site might be behind. I would like to hear from others on cruises after September 15th if they had the new packages. The new brochure is quite spiffy.

I am hoping someone will give us their opinions on the new wines, on both lists.

I looked up all the ratings and release prices as soon as I saw the new list. (I have WOCD - wine obsessive compulsive disorder.) Since they aren't supplying vintage information (Bad HAL!) and some of the wines show a fair amount of year to year variation, you can't be 100% certain which of the ratings from the wine publications will apply.

Generally speaking, the Admiral wines are better. Of the whole list, there's only one wine I'd avoid. I would think that most people could make due with what's on either list. We've had a couple of the wines on the list, but no where near all of them. We probably won't, either. I already have most of our wines picked for our upcoming cruise. We might try a few though, because we won't be carrying on as much as we usually do. (Traveling with DFIL, and I've only been married to his daughter for 22 years. I'm almost family and want to make a good impression. :D)

Edited by POA1

Here are the wines available in the new Wine Packages. I don't recall the old prices so don't know if these are higher. The regular wine menu has some new choices as does the Pinnacle Grill. The usual 15% gratuity applies to the full price no matter the discount for 3, 4, and 5 star Mariners.

Navigator’s Choice

3 bottles $89.00

5 bottles $149.00

7 bottles $ 199.00

White Wine

Piedra Megra Torrontes, Argentina

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Italy

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, California

Danzante Moscato, Italy

Red Wine

Puerto Viejo Carmenere, Chile

Frescobaldi Remole, Italy

Chateau des Trois Tours Bordeaux, France

Deakin Estate Shiraz, Australia

Los Riscos Merlot, Chile

Tapena Tempranillo, Spain

Deakin Estate Pinot Noir, Australia

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Admiral’s Choice

3 bottles $119.00

5 bottles $199.00

7 bottles $269.00

White Wine

Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, California

Grace Lane Riesling, Washington

Estancia Pinot Grigio, California

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Franciscan “Equilibrium” White Blend, California

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France

Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, California

Red Wine

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, California

Wente “Sandstone” Merlot, California

Estancia Pinot Noir, California

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Italy

Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina

Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec, Argentina

Wente “Beyer Ranch” Zinfandel, California

Where did you get this info?

We cruise in october and still have the Navigator package listed for 199, but with a lot more choices;

This package allows you to choose seven wines from a wonderful selection that includes Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz. 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

I'm happy for the same reason... except that I live near Seattle and plan to cruise HAL to Alaska next year. I will be bringing all of my favorite $6-8 Trader Joe's wines and just paying corkage. Still cheaper than the "Navigator" package, by far! And I already know that I like the wine.

Where did you get this info?

We cruise in october and still have the Navigator package listed for 199, but with a lot more choices;

This package allows you to choose seven wines from a wonderful selection that includes Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz. 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

I got this information on the sailing of the Amsterdam last week. I was told it was effective September 7 th and replaces the old packages which were 7 years old and contain the wines that you list. That list is replaced by this new list. As I mentioned before, I did not ask if the new list was fleet wide but I assume it is or will be soon.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

I got this information on the sailing of the Amsterdam last week. I was told it was effective September 7 th and replaces the old packages which were 7 years old and contain the wines that you list. That list is replaced by this new list. As I mentioned before, I did not ask if the new list was fleet wide but I assume it is or will be soon.

Many of the wines that were listed on the HAL site differed from what was available in the packages. The lists for each ship are based on what the ship has in stock at any given time. I'd consider them representative more so than definitive. The ship well substitute similar wines as different selections run out and new stock becomes available.

I really appreciate that you posted the updated list. If it's different from what we find at the end of November, it is to be expected. It's great to have the most current - or in this case, future - wine package list. :)

Edited by POA1

I do appreciate the posting of the new list. Thank you!

New Zealand is not as well represented as I think it ought to be. Nobilo's Savignon Blanc is good, but there are other labels that my palate prefers.

Still, the packages offer a good value and most are quite drinkable wines.

I noticed that there are now 7 whites and 7 reds to choose from on the Admiral Package -- previously there were only 6 choices each on the Admiral package.

I like that they've added a zin, a malbec, and a riesling to their selections.

Now I've got to look up the ones I'm not familiar with and see what scores they've received. :)

I do appreciate the posting of the new list. Thank you!

New Zealand is not as well represented as I think it ought to be. Nobilo's Savignon Blanc is good, but there are other labels that my palate prefers.

Still, the packages offer a good value and most are quite drinkable wines.

I wish New Zealand's Cloudy Bay (Villa Maria) was on the list. :)

Call me stupid, but I fail to see where the OP has found out about the new wine packages. If I go on-line for cruises in October and January, the packages that are available for purchase are, for the 7 bottle ones for example, listed below;

Navigator's Wine Package: 7-Bottle

Admiral's Wine Package: 7-Bottle

This premium package allows you to choose seven wines from a wonderful selection that includes Four Emus Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer Columbia Winery, Silverado Sauvignon Blanc, Laboure Roi Macon Villages, Franciscan Chardonnay, I AM ROSE, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, The Jobe Pinot Noir, Niner Merlot, Chianti Castiglioni Frescaboldi, Blackstone Syrah and Icon Ravenswood. Delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

The on-line listings that are available, are not the ones listed by the OP. I am interested to find out where these packages are available and why they are not yet in the pre-order listing!

If it is something that they are rolling out now, I do not understand why they do not adjust listings for sailings up to January?