Special Needs Forms for HAL

knittinggirl

I'm considering a wheelchair for embarkation/disembarkation.

How do we get one?

If we learn we need one for more than embarkation/disembarkation, can we get one after boarding?

I have a non-accessible room, and we board in 10 days.

I expected a shot to work, but it didn't.

My TA always puts in the request for wheelchair (dis)embarkation. I always double-check that I am on the disembarkation list a day or two before the end of the cruise. There should be a letter in with your disembarkation packet.

If you didn't book through a TA/PCC, then I would call Seattle and ask to make arrangements for boarding and leaving the cruise.

Venn Diagram (love the mental image when I see that name) is correct that Special Needs at Sea, or the company formerly known as Care Vacations (can't remember the new name; Scootaround???) furnish wheelchairs for rent for the duration of the cruise. The device will be left in your cabin for you, and you leave it there when the cruise ends. They also rent scooters, if you are interested in that.

I'm considering a wheelchair for embarkation/disembarkation.

How do we get one?

If we learn we need one for more than embarkation/disembarkation, can we get one after boarding?

I have a non-accessible room, and we board in 10 days.

I expected a shot to work, but it didn't.

I asked for assistance for boarding by filling out the Special Needs Form available on the HAL website. Easy process, no glitches at all. I'm basically OK for short distances but getting through terminal to ship was likely to be a problem. Everything worked fine, and I'm currently aboard the Amsterdam on day 8 of a 14-day Alaska cruise.

My understanding is that if you also need a wheelchair or other mobility device onboard, you need to arrange that before your trip. Your TA or PCC should be able to help you with that. There are two companies that are recommended for equipment rentals (can't recall the specifics, but again your travel agent or HAL PCC will know).

I've found HAL to be extremely accommodating as long as they know in advance what you need.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're embarking in San Francisco and Disembarking in Auckland NZ.

Having just gone through getting set up for our South Pacific Crossing let me share what we did.

1. Filled in the special needs form that is on HAL's web site.

2. Called PCC about a wheel chair while on board - HAL will not supply them.

3. Contacted Special Needs at Sea about renting a chair for 23 days one way to Australia - Special Needs informed us it would be $478 for the 23 days.

4. Talked to another passenger and her DW actually purchased a wheelchair for WalMart for ~ $110 dollars, and then they will always have it.

5. Went on line for WalMart and ordered a "Drive sport I" for ~114.00 it was delivered to our home in 4 days. This way we will have the wheelchair if needed and if we have to leave it in Australia it is still cheaper than the $478 quoted by SpecialNeedsAtSea.com

Hope this helped.

Does crew push you up the gangplank? DH will be busy w/ carry-ons.

Do their wheelchairs have a slot to slide your bag under the seat? Or can you fit your spinner between your seat pedals?

I embarked in Seattle, so it was a 2-step process: 1) getting from curb into/ through terminal to waiting area. The "pusher" was one of the contract employees who handle the security check, health form, etc. They used a chair similar to those found in airports with room for standard carry-on under the seat; and 2) getting from terminal onto ship. They used a standard wheelchair with a HAL crew member pushing, and no place for the carry-on. My carry-on is a wheeled "spinner," so I just held onto it as we wheeled up the zig-zag gangway. Worked just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our TA requests a wheelchair for me for embarkation day and disembarkation day at the time we make final payment -- 75 days before the cruise.

I do not know the final deadline when you can request this.

HAL does provide free wheelchairs for passenger use on the ship/ports.

I rent a rollator from Care Vacations -- they also rent wheelchairs, scooter, etc. I do this when we make final payment. I don't know their final deadline before a cruise.

Does crew push you up the gangplank? DH will be busy w/ carry-ons.

Do their wheelchairs have a slot to slide your bag under the seat? Or can you fit your spinner between your seat pedals?

I have had wheelchair assistance in various ports. There was not slot to slide your carry on bag under the seat. And I was not able to fit my spinner carry on between my legs -- wheelchair was very narrow. DH had to handle both carry ons.

If flying to the port city the day before cruise, will HAL meet you at the airport and transport you to the hotel? If so does this only happen if you booked air and hotel through them? Will they do this if I booked independantly? I travel solo.

If flying to the port city the day before cruise, will HAL meet you at the airport and transport you to the hotel? If so does this only happen if you booked air and hotel through them? Will they do this if I booked independantly? I travel solo.

HAL will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel only if you do the HAL hotel pre-cruise; you don't have to book air through them. You then also get a transfer from the hotel to the pier on embarkation day.