Boarding time in Warnemunde

pompeii

We are on the Regal Princess embarking in Warnemunde next September. I am trying to figure out what time we can board the ship. This cruise is being sold in different longer and shorter segments, but Warnemunde is not a disembarkation port for any of the segments. So will boarding be the usual mid-day, or can we board earlier since there won't be a ship full of people to disembark first?

I am hoping to board early and dump our luggage, then get back off the ship to tour around the area. We don't leave the port until 9pm so we will have lots of time.

Has anyone joined a cruise on a 2nd segment, ie mid-cruise? Was the port open early for boarding?

I just realized that there is an 11-day sailing ending in Warnemunde on 9/3, the day we embark. So there will be some disembarkation and cabin cleaning, so maybe embarkation time will be the regular midday time. If nothing else, maybe we can just hand off our luggage to a porter and actually board later after we sight-see?

Can anyone chime in on joining a cruise underway and how early you could get on the ship? TIA

Don't know the particulars of your embarkation process, but can tell you Warnemunde was a very easy port to manage (we had a port day there). It is close by train to Rostock, Schwerin, etc and a couple hours to Hamburg. But what a treat to find that Warnemunde was a delightful port all its own! Cute homes and shops, a gorgeous long sandy beach, a perfect place to stroll and relax. No long distances from the ship to these places and train station, easy walking.

Ask TravelAnni, the train station or port might have luggage storage if you can't drop your luggage off early with your cruise line.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Royal Princess last summer, and embarked at Warnemunde on July 20/14. Since we were staying in Berlin both pre and post cruise, we took the train from Berlin directly to Warnemunde that morning-approximately a 3.5 hour journey in total, with a stop in Rostock, and some stops along the way. We bought our tickets on board-it was an "Interconnex" train, not one of the DeutschBahn trains. We arrived at the ship in the early afternoon-simple walk on, no lines, as there were few others embarking at this port, and most of the passengers were out sightseeing for the day. We travelled back to Berlin by train at the end of our cruise-bought tickets at the Warnemunde station, and changed trains in Rostock-still around a 4 hour trip in all. This is a must-do cruise-we enjoyed every minute of it!

We were on the Royal Princess last summer, and embarked at Warnemunde on July 20/14. Since we were staying in Berlin both pre and post cruise, we took the train from Berlin directly to Warnemunde that morning-approximately a 3.5 hour journey in total, with a stop in Rostock, and some stops along the way. We bought our tickets on board-it was an "Interconnex" train, not one of the DeutschBahn trains. We arrived at the ship in the early afternoon-simple walk on, no lines, as there were few others embarking at this port, and most of the passengers were out sightseeing for the day. We travelled back to Berlin by train at the end of our cruise-bought tickets at the Warnemunde station, and changed trains in Rostock-still around a 4 hour trip in all. This is a must-do cruise-we enjoyed every minute of it!

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Interconnex website (german only) and it looks like the direct train is no longer running....? If so, we're disappointed because this seemed like the easiest way to get there.

Perhaps you could pose the same question to Travelanni who has a thread in the Northern Europe ports section of Cruise critic. She lives in Northern Germany and has a wealth of information, including train travel advice. She will likely know if the Interconnex train is still operating. Otherwise, we found the changing of trains at Rostock, on our way back to Berlin, pretty easy. Good luck!

Hello Everyone,

I will be following this thread as I planned the same cruise with embarkation/debarkation in Warnemunde for the end of June and staying on my own in Berlin very near to the train station. I saw a thread with travelanni, but haven't had the chance to ask her about transfers. When I stayed in London, Princess was offering transfers from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton and visa versa. Does anyone know if Princess is offering the same for Berlin-Warnemunde since it is being offered as embarkation/disembarkation option? Could not find anything on their website (Victoria is not listed either.) Asked my TA to contact PC, but haven't heard from her in weeks.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps travelanni could join this thread?

Perhaps you could pose the same question to Travelanni who has a thread in the Northern Europe ports section of Cruise critic. She lives in Northern Germany and has a wealth of information, including train travel advice. She will likely know if the Interconnex train is still operating. Otherwise, we found the changing of trains at Rostock, on our way back to Berlin, pretty easy. Good luck!

I did ask on Travelanni's thread since I figured she would know but no response yet. I'm glad to hear that changing trains is no big deal since this is probably what we'll wind up doing. Either that or renting a car, if we're brave enough to try finding our way around!

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Interconnex website (german only) and it looks like the direct train is no longer running....? If so, we're disappointed because this seemed like the easiest way to get there.

Correct! They stopped in December 2014. There will still be trains run by the Deutsche Bahn.

We received an email yesterday from Princess that says the boarding time in Warnemunde is 1-7pm. Not as early as I had hoped, but if we can drop our luggage in the morning that will help even if we don't check in until later.

We received an email yesterday from Princess that says the boarding time in Warnemunde is 1-7pm. Not as early as I had hoped, but if we can drop our luggage in the morning that will help even if we don't check in until later.

Thanks Pompeii for the information since I didn't get the notice from Princess and still piecing together how I will get to Warnemunde by train. I phoned Princess and they only offer a direct shuttle only from the airport to Warnemunde at $99/one way which I find expensive. I know Princess is high priced, but thought I would ask out of curiousity. Whatever information I find out I will post here for you too.

hiworldtraveler, not only is the Princess transfer expensive but it is offered only on the afternoon of embarkation. We'd like to get up there either before noon Thursday so we can look around Warnemunde and possibly Schwerin, or the day before and spend the night. But Princess doesn't offer that option. Right now we're leaning toward taking the train up Wed afternoon and staying in a hotel in Warnemunde. We're arriving in Berlin Sunday so that would still give us 3 days in that city. The train is pretty cheap, 44 euro for 2 people, but you have to change trains in Rostock with luggage.

hiworldtraveler, not only is the Princess transfer expensive but it is offered only on the afternoon of embarkation. We'd like to get up there either before noon Thursday so we can look around Warnemunde and possibly Schwerin, or the day before and spend the night. But Princess doesn't offer that option. Right now we're leaning toward taking the train up Wed afternoon and staying in a hotel in Warnemunde. We're arriving in Berlin Sunday so that would still give us 3 days in that city. The train is pretty cheap, 44 euro for 2 people, but you have to change trains in Rostock with luggage.

I have a June departure on a Monday so my plans are to take a 9 am train from Berlin hbf, arriving in Warnemunde via Rostock around 12 noon. Even though embarkation starts at 1 pm, may be I will hit it lucky and can board early, if not, I will eat my bag lunch (hotel provides the option) while I wait. Once I board it is a matter of dropping off my stuff in the room and then seeing the town with the possibility of sending a package home (Berlin shopping). At this time not planning to go back to Rostock, but things can change after more research. If I didn't have my suitcase, I would catch a really early train, tour Rostock and then later go to embarkation. Spending 4.5 days pre-cruise in Berlin since it is my first time there and possibly 1 day post-cruise. I want to do it at my own pace.

• 7 months later...

I am planning on the same thing next year. When you get back after this trip, will you post and let me know how the Warnemunde port went? And the train? Thanks! I was considering the same plan - Berlin for a few days then head out early in the morning. Also will be curious of the pros and cons of getting on there. Thank you!!

I am planning on the same thing next year. When you get back after this trip, will you post and let me know how the Warnemunde port went? And the train? Thanks! I was considering the same plan - Berlin for a few days then head out early in the morning. Also will be curious of the pros and cons of getting on there. Thank you!!

Dardan, we've decided to rent a car and drive up the scenic route the day before embarkation. Spending the night in Wismar, then on to Warnemunde to board the ship and look around. Once we're back, I can let you know what the port is like.

Here is some info I posted on another thread about a bus option from Berlin to the port. I don't know anything about this bus, but it looks like a very convenient low-cost option:

Those of my fellow cruisers boarding in Warnemunde may already know this, but there are a couple of low cost bus options from Berlin to Warnemunde. One is https://www.flixbus.com/ and the other is http://meinfernbus.de/en/staedte/bus-ab-berlin. I think they might actually be the same company or sister companies; they seem connected to one another. I believe it is a direct bus because it takes just a little over 3 hours, but there could be a connection, I'm not sure. Cost is a bargain 11 euro pp. Anyway, I thought I would post this in case anyone is trying to figure out how to get to the port from Berlin. My husband and I finally decided to rent a car so we could go to Schwerin and Wismar on the way, but if we weren't we would definitely take this bus.

While we're talking about this port how long does it take to get to Berlin and what is the best way to get there.

I went by train from a Princess operated tour. Once on the train and it leaves the trip to Berlin is usually under 3 hrs. More like 2 hrs. 1/2.

The train ride was very pleasant and comfortable and the scenery was nice.

We had a very friendly car on the train so the time flew by. We actually met some of the people we were friendlier with during the coming and going on the train. They give you water and a muffin and yogurt on the way to Berlin as well as a pot of coffee(which was just ok). On the way back they give you

a cheese sandwich and I think they might have given us more wage(can't remember if we got water on the way back). It was a long day and we got back around 8:00. I did not book this trip until a week before our trip as I originally thought we would just do a trip to the small towns close to where we docked. But after talking to a friend who had just come back from a Baltic cruise on another cruise line, we changed our minds after hearing them rave abut Berlin. Decided we probably would never go there again and would rather see a days worth than not go at all--Glad we decided to go.

Heard goo things about this tour company called Friends of Dave. It originates out of Wannemunde. Had a friend take it and while dave was sick the day she went she still liked the other tour leader. Read the reviews--he sounds great.

Almost booked him but chose to go to Berlin

I went by train from a Princess operated tour. Once on the train and it leaves the trip to Berlin is usually under 3 hrs. More like 2 hrs. 1/2.

The train ride was very pleasant and comfortable and the scenery was nice.

We had a very friendly car on the train so the time flew by. We actually met some of the people we were friendlier with during the coming and going on the train. They give you water and a muffin and yogurt on the way to Berlin as well as a pot of coffee(which was just ok). On the way back they give you

a cheese sandwich and I think they might have given us more wage(can't remember if we got water on the way back). It was a long day and we got back around 8:00. I did not book this trip until a week before our trip as I originally thought we would just do a trip to the small towns close to where we docked. But after talking to a friend who had just come back from a Baltic cruise on another cruise line, we changed our minds after hearing them rave abut Berlin. Decided we probably would never go there again and would rather see a days worth than not go at all--Glad we decided to go.

We're going on the 25 day Regal cruise next 8/30 and have the day for Berlin. We don't mind the train ride and most of Princess's long tours are outstanding, did this tour live up to your expectations or should be look at some private companies? Thanks so much for your help.

Lucky you to be able to go on the 25 day cruise. I was sorry to leave this cruise. The crew on the Regal was great(hope the same people are working there).The shows were outstanding. This was only my 2nd cruise and did not take any private ones. I only took tours with Princess. We almost did not make it back in time in St. Petersburg(due to traffic) and in Stockholm. I was so glad we were on a ship tour. We went on the Jewish Tour in Berlin which appears to be the same tour as the regular tour minus the sit down lunch and the time on your own at the end. We had a boxed lunch at the Jewish Museum and only had about 1/2 hr.

and did not have any free time. Our tour guide was exceptional. She was easy to understand and very knowledgeable and could answer most questions asked of her. We had about 18-20 people on our bus. I noticed that on all of the buses we were never 100% full. Sometimes there would be anywhere from

2-5 diff. buses with the same itinerary. They did not try to over pack the buses. In fact returning from our tour of Catherine's palace/Peterhoff and on my tour of Stockholm there was enough space that I could sit alone with plenty of space to stretch out. On one trip we had one of the Excursion desk crew members with us which added to our trip as he sat with us for lunch so we learned a lot about cruising. I have nothing to compare these tours to but I enjoyed all of the guides, except one who tended to rush us a little. We had a tour of the Hermitage early in the morning and left just as the crowds came.

Unfortunately our inside tour of Peterhoff was in the afternoon and it tended to be more crowded with some of the other groups pushing us along. By the way we thought we would be too tired to tour all day and then do the ballet at night. Turns out that the ship had a Russian Folkloric Show the evening of the first day in St. Petersburg. I can say I enjoyed every port we went to. We did our own tour in Tallin and in Oslo and in Copenhagen as we ended up being there almost 3 days. We followed The Rick Steves Baltic Cruise book for Tallin(we took a taxi up to the top and worked our way down--did need to ask a restaurant owner to get us a taxi when we made it down below as we did not know where to find one. We also listened to the advice of that book for Oslo. We bought the pass that allowed us to use boats, trams,buses as well as offer free admission to things in Oslo. We were able to get the pass in the tourist info place right outside of the ship where we docked. We talked to the info worker and he gave us all the info we needed and told us where to buy the pass(across the hall) Happy to help with any questions.

Make sure to ask for a senior price if you qualify for that.

Wish I can do the trip again.

Lucky you to be able to go on the 25 day cruise. I was sorry to leave this cruise. The crew on the Regal was great(hope the same people are working there).The shows were outstanding. This was only my 2nd cruise and did not take any private ones. I only took tours with Princess. We almost did not make it back in time in St. Petersburg(due to traffic) and in Stockholm. I was so glad we were on a ship tour. We went on the Jewish Tour in Berlin which appears to be the same tour as the regular tour minus the sit down lunch and the time on your own at the end. We had a boxed lunch at the Jewish Museum and only had about 1/2 hr.

and did not have any free time. Our tour guide was exceptional. She was easy to understand and very knowledgeable and could answer most questions asked of her. We had about 18-20 people on our bus. I noticed that on all of the buses we were never 100% full. Sometimes there would be anywhere from

2-5 diff. buses with the same itinerary. They did not try to over pack the buses. In fact returning from our tour of Catherine's palace/Peterhoff and on my tour of Stockholm there was enough space that I could sit alone with plenty of space to stretch out. On one trip we had one of the Excursion desk crew members with us which added to our trip as he sat with us for lunch so we learned a lot about cruising. I have nothing to compare these tours to but I enjoyed all of the guides, except one who tended to rush us a little. We had a tour of the Hermitage early in the morning and left just as the crowds came.

Unfortunately our inside tour of Peterhoff was in the afternoon and it tended to be more crowded with some of the other groups pushing us along. By the way we thought we would be too tired to tour all day and then do the ballet at night. Turns out that the ship had a Russian Folkloric Show the evening of the first day in St. Petersburg. I can say I enjoyed every port we went to. We did our own tour in Tallin and in Oslo and in Copenhagen as we ended up being there almost 3 days. We followed The Rick Steves Baltic Cruise book for Tallin(we took a taxi up to the top and worked our way down--did need to ask a restaurant owner to get us a taxi when we made it down below as we did not know where to find one. We also listened to the advice of that book for Oslo. We bought the pass that allowed us to use boats, trams,buses as well as offer free admission to things in Oslo. We were able to get the pass in the tourist info place right outside of the ship where we docked. We talked to the info worker and he gave us all the info we needed and told us where to buy the pass(across the hall) Happy to help with any questions.

Make sure to ask for a senior price if you qualify for that.

Wish I can do the trip again.

Sophbro, Thank You so very much for your wonderful information on many of the ports we're also visiting. Although we are not Jewish I think that we'll take the tour you choose. The history is so important to all of us and I don't want to spend time for a big lunch and shopping in Berlin when we could be visiting more places of historic value. It seems like a waste of precious time in a place we may never visit again! I hope that you continue to cruise, it's a wonderful way to see the world. This will be our 40th Princess cruise, so if you ever have any questions, maybe I can return the favor. These boards are a wonderful resource for all of us. Thanks again!