Olden to Briksdalen Glacier for $11 (NOK 90)

Hello all,

we just returned from a 15 day North Cape cruise. Our ship docked in Olden from 9 to 6 . The sail into Olden on the Nordfjord was beautiful. We are early risers and enjoyed watching the splendid scenery go by from our balcony with a hot cup of coffee.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

We decided to use public transportation to visit Briksdalen Glacier. We never ever participate in organized tours and are usually able to save lots of $ by going DIY. I hope this photo review will inspire fellow cruiser and help them in planning their day.

Before leaving home I researched the public bus schedule. A bus was leaving Olden at 10:00 with a return at 1:30pm to take us back to Olden.

I was a little unsure where exactly the bus stop might be, but as soon as the ship had docked I could see the stop with its blue sign from our balcony.

DSC_0150.JPG

Here are more detailed instructions on how to find the stop.

If you are standing shoreside facing the berthing area, you will see the visitors info center and charter bus parking in marked spaces on your right. The public bus stop is to your left at the very end of the pier, next to a crosswalk.

We left the ship around 9:40 and were waiting in line with about 30 other cruisers within minutes.

DSC_0152.JPG

The bus was on time, but it took about 20 minutes for all of us to pay and get on. The price in June 2015 was NOK 45 per person one way, or NOK 90 return. The driver takes cash and credit cards.

Princess offered a similar excursion for $99.95, but it included waffles and coffee near the glacier. A fellow passenger, who hiked to Pulpit Rock with us, paid NOK 350 ($ 44) for the Glacierbus, which he booked through the local tourist office. They obviously did not mention the public bus option at all.

The ride was comfortable and took about 40 minutes. After we arrived at the glacier stop, the driver parked his bus and waited there until our departure at 1:30pm.

As soon as you get off the bus, you will see several souvenir shops and cafes. This is your last opportunity to use clean restrooms. There are public restrooms at the beginning of the trail, but they were not too "inviting".

At the end of the public parking lot you will spot the so-called Trollcars, which if you desire, will take you within an approximately 10 minute walk of the glacier

IMG_1038.JPG

The fee for the cars is NOK 200. You will get a blanket and rain protection if needed. I read somewhere that the cars are electric, but no....they are stinky diesel powered. Fortunately you only share the trail with them for short periods of time. We held our breaths and let them pass.

We obviously decided to walk the whole way just to work our aching calves and quads after the previous day's hike to Pulpit Rock. The trail is not demanding at all,

DSC_0158.JPG

Though, a few areas had lots of steps to lead you around a waterfall. The trail was very scenic and we enjoyed the exercise.

Her are some impressions

IMG_1039.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

On the trail we noticed several signs marking the end of the glacier starting around the year 1800. It is shocking how much it has receded. It took us about 50 minutes to reach the glacier lake with the glacier remnants, but we stopped a lot for photos.

Wow! Thanks for the info - We intend to do the glacier this way next year and have found only 1 other report for this. Azamara are charging $141 Aus each for this (price has probably risen since I last downloaded brochure). thanks again for the great photos.

We have also just returned from a cruise which stopped in Olden. We took the local bus at these times. There were a number of other cruise passengers waiting, and we only just about all got on, a couple of people had to stand all the way, hence I would queue up early to make sure you get on this bus. Just to note, the charge for us was NOK 50 per person if more than one person was travelling, i.e a couple would be charged NOK 100, however if each person paid separately they were charged NOK 67 each.

Most people just stayed in front of the lake. We hiked a little closer to the ice. Suddenly 2 large chunks fell off and tumbled down the rocks into the lake. The noise was unbelievable and scary.

IMG_1043.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

We concluded our explorations and returned to the bus stop. Time was running out anyways. We boarded the bus again at 1:30 and got back to downtown Olden about 40 minutes later.

We decided to visit the very picturesque Old Church, which was built in 1759.

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

The woodwork inside is beautiful. Notice the rope to ring the church bells coming down right in the center of the church

IMG_1052.JPG

A few more impressions from our walk back to the ship.

IMG_1047.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

We were back on board by 3 pm, had a late lunch and decided to rest for a while, but soon were awoken by very loud music coming from loud speakers at the visitor's center. They were playing all kinds of Farewell songs like Andrea Bocelli's "It's time to say Good-bye", while people were standing pier side waiving Norwegian flags.

This young lady on a Segway made me chuckle. She ran the the Segway up and down the pier for about 15 minutes, obviously having a blast.

IMG_1048.JPG

We had another great day and waived "Good-Bye" to Olden

IMG_1049.JPG

Another stunning report and pictures.

Regarding the public bus. What time was it supposed to leave? Did you mention 940?

Did the public bus stop by the Briksdal Fjellstue (Lodge with cafe and souvenir shop)?

I am glad you posted pictures of the old church in Olden. There is also a new church in Olden build in 1934. The new church is also wooden built in basilica form and looks much older then it really is.

It could be very easy to mistake the two churches.

Another stunning report and pictures.

Regarding the public bus. What time was it supposed to leave? Did you mention 940?

Did the public bus stop by the Briksdal Fjellstue (Lodge with cafe and souvenir shop)?

Hi Lars, thanks again for your kind words!

The bus leaves Olden at 10am. I do not know if the bus stop by the pier just gets used on days with cruise ships in town or if it is a regular stop. The schedule just says "Olden Sentrum". When we got off to visit the church, we were dropped off right in front of Skogstad store on Road 60, where the bus also made a stop on the way to Briksdal.

At the glacier the bus stopped in the large parking lot with all the souvenir shops. We honestly did not go in and I did not take note of the name. I am guessing it is the Briksdal Fjellstue.

I have one more question for you Lars. Do bus prices vary in Norway? One fellow cruiser replied to this thread and mentioned prices of NOK 50 if 2 people travel or NOK 67 if you travel by yourself. We paid NOK 45/person. Strange, isn't it?

Hi Ssislandgirl,

If the bus arrives at the glacier at around 11am and departs for the return at 1.30pm, is that enough time for a comfortable walk / photographs / walk back, or did you feel rushed? We wouldn't want to miss the ship!

Thanks

Pete

We made the trip on the 8th July 2015. An excellent post from Ssislandgirl. The word is now getting out and although the bus left the cruise park stop at 10.00 am I would suggest queuing from 9.30. The bus takes around 45 plus and we all just got on with some sitting on the floor. The journey takes around 40mins. There is now a bus stop sign on the left of the cruise park so the stop is very clear. If you tender in, then its left facing the road. The fares were a bit confusing there could be a seniors fare it seems, we paid 50 nok each going and 34 nok each coming back. We were refused a return and had to pay for single journeys. However on the return the bus stopped and we were all chucked of before the cruise park - some sort of terminus - and had to walk the last 1/4 mile - no big deal.

It took us about 40 mins to reach the Glacier from where the bus stopped by cafes etc below the Glacier. The bus left at 1.30pm for the return the queue forming well before that.

The troll cars are a real menace so keep clear of them.

Hi Ssislandgirl,

If the bus arrives at the glacier at around 11am and departs for the return at 1.30pm, is that enough time for a comfortable walk / photographs / walk back, or did you feel rushed? We wouldn't want to miss the ship!

Thanks

Pete

Don't worry, you will have plenty of time. We actually walked very close to the glacier by the end of the lake and made it back to the bus with 10 min to spare.

Regards

Petra

Don't worry, you will have plenty of time. We actually walked very close to the glacier by the end of the lake and made it back to the bus with 10 min to spare.

Regards

Petra

Thanks. We've booked the 11:45 troll cars because of the young kids probably not being too keen on the long walk.

I've been playing with Google Streetview. Is the bus stop where the white star is marked?

shot.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq069bpc5u6lhug/shot.jpg?dl=0

Pete

Kinda,

I can't see the pic clearly, since I do not have an account with dropbox, but the bus stop is right next to the cross walk sign, before the entrance to the parking lot. You really can't miss it.

Since you are taking the troll cars you will have even more time to look around!

Just found another pic I took. You can see bus stop and crosswalk sign on the very left where all the construction is going on

tDSC_0149.JPG

Edited by Ssislandgirl

Hi Lars, thanks again for your kind words!

The bus leaves Olden at 10am. I do not know if the bus stop by the pier just gets used on days with cruise ships in town or if it is a regular stop. The schedule just says "Olden Sentrum". When we got off to visit the church, we were dropped off right in front of Skogstad store on Road 60, where the bus also made a stop on the way to Briksdal.

At the glacier the bus stopped in the large parking lot with all the souvenir shops. We honestly did not go in and I did not take note of the name. I am guessing it is the Briksdal Fjellstue.

I have one more question for you Lars. Do bus prices vary in Norway? One fellow cruiser replied to this thread and mentioned prices of NOK 50 if 2 people travel or NOK 67 if you travel by yourself. We paid NOK 45/person. Strange, isn't it?

Thank you for the info.

Bus prices usually changes once a year.

They do however operate with children, regular and senior fares.

I did read someone got charges differently so I guess that what happened here.

Also, some buses operates with their own fares in touristy areas/routes.

I did this trip last year and used the minibus service from the Visitor Centre on the quayside. It wasn't as cheap as the public bus but still much less than the ship's tours. They left every fifteen minutes from the quayside and gave you ample time for the hike. I remember I needed my waterproof on the way up and back because of the waterfall and I paddled in the glacier at the top. It was a very sunny day!

• 3 weeks later...