Norwegian fjords-what are not to miss towns

I think most itineraries might include Geirangerfjord.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12691-norway-geiranger-world-heritage-fjord.html

Here is a tourism website for the fjords

http://www.fjordnorway.com/en/Corporate/News-from-Fjord-Norway/New-round-trip-to-Geiranger-by-Fjord1/

Here is the website of the organization that markets ports of call in Norway to the cruise operators.

http://www.cruise-norway.no/

Starting to plan our cruise and as we compare itineraries..would like to know what towns we must be sure are included...want to get as far north as possible also. Any recommendations?

Lots of varied factors to consider with your available length of time to do such travel, budget flexibility, personal interests, time of year to do this travel, etc. AND, it is not just the "towns" you visit, but what you seek and like most to do in these areas/regions.

From the below live/blog, you can see many details and visuals from what did along this wide-ranging, scenic and dramatic coast. Lots of ideas that I can offer, but it will be most important if you give us much more for your biggest needs. Give us many more specifics on your priorities and desires for how much you seek . . . history, nature, culture, wildlife, shopping, music, food, scenic areas, etc. Tell us more!!!

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

We did both Geirangerfjord and going to Flam. For us, getting "Up Country" was very important to see and experience more than just the small port village in certain of these fjord areas.

On budget, Norway can be costly with their fairly limited tourism season and the high local costs for food, transportation. Not cheap, but very much "WORTH IT!!".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,016 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is just one picture and highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

We liked the princess itinerary but it does not go to Geringer....will that be a mistake to miss? Also, when I look at other cruise lines they actually say scenic cruising with times...princess does not say that..should I assume that it is a given. Or not?

We liked the princess itinerary but it does not go to Geringer....will that be a mistake to miss? Also, when I look at other cruise lines they actually say scenic cruising with times...princess does not say that..should I assume that it is a given. Or not?

What specific ports would your Princess itinerary include?? Tell us more details!! It is hard for us to offer comparison without know what all is included with this one schedule. If your cruise is going to visit/stop in Flam, as an example, then you will get lots of time to see all along that amazing fjord. More details noted below.

When you sail up the Sognerfjord to Flam, you will end up at this small village with a population of about 500. It is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” Our chief attraction here was the 71-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

As I noted earlier from the below live/blog, you can see many details and visuals from what did along this wide-ranging, scenic and dramatic coast. Lots of ideas that we can offer, but it will be most important if YOU give us much more for your biggest needs. Give us many more specifics on your priorities and desires for how much you seek . . . history, nature, culture, wildlife, shopping, music, food, scenic areas, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,085 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Starting to plan our cruise and as we compare itineraries..would like to know what towns we must be sure are included...want to get as far north as possible also. Any recommendations?

What do you want to see?

What is important to you?

On here you will get all sort of answers.

I would suggest you look through a few itineraries and places. Read up and then decide.

For me the places I would visit would be:

Geiranger (Geiranger fjord)

Flåm (Aurlands fjord/Sognefjord)

Ulvik (Eidfjord)

Olden (Nordfjord)

Ålesund

Bergen

Stavanger (Lysefjord)

Kristansand

Svolvær

Leknes

Tromsø

Hammerfest

Kirkenes

Also Spitzbergen is vastly interesting.

You should look up - on this board -the fantastic pictures and reviews of "Ssislandgirl"

She is doing a day to day documentary of their cruise this summer.

There is also lots of into in my thread. (link in signature)

I am happy to help you plan your perfect Norway cruise.

:-)

Seven sisters is on both sides. Port going in, starboard coming out. The point of a fjord is that it is a dead end, so you have to go in and come out the same way.

Yes, good above points. Opposite the Seven Sisters is another famous and spectacular waterfall. See more below visually.

Viewing strategies?: You could see both from your balcony . . . at two different times, sailing in and then sailing out. BUT, I like being up on top of the ship to see and observe both, have better vantage points, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,098 views for this posting.

Here is a different view as you are sailing from Geiranger and approaching the famed “Seven Sisters”. This is the view from the top of the ship as we are turning in this narrow fjord and first seeing some of this famous waterfall. Great majesty from nature in an amazing setting. This is the 39th tallest waterfall in Norway. The waterfall consists of seven separate streams, and it is located four miles west of Geiranger. The tallest of the seven has a free fall that measures 820’. The total height above the water from the top is 1,350'. The legend is that the seven sisters dance playfully down the mountain, while a single waterfall opposite, the Suitor, a male onlooker, flirts playfully from across the fjord.:

GeirFjord7SistersApproach.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by these two super famous waterfalls. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, this single waterfall is called several names, including “The Suitor”. Plus another shot showing both of them facing this fjord passage way.:

FjordWaterfallSuitor-1.jpg

Fjords2TwoSistersFacingEachOther.jpg

What side of the ship is seven sisters located? Port or star?

Linda

As mentioned above, depending on the ship you are on, they are on the starboard side going north, and the port side going south, but that is assuming they are not completely covered with clouds as they were when I was there in May. I was on the Hurtigruten MS Trollfjord.

We were able to see near Torghatten (the mountain with the hole through it) near Brønnøysund under fairly clear skies though.

P1030786.jpg.fc813a763638a366d5dcfb96aeaa3405.jpg

Edited by Splinter